Is there a 24hr yeast for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewChump

Reaction score
Stumbled across a yeast by chance(but seems its commonly used amoungst home distillers)that ferments 25ltrs in 24hrs to 14% ABV. Maybe everyone knows about this stuff, but i havnt heard of it. Has anyone tried this or somthing similar in a beer brew, or is it even possible to use?

Seems like a great idea if it can be addapted to home brew beer. Basically im just a master of Coopers kits:p, i dont do mash's ect... and dont really have the urge/time to, the kits seem fine to me and i get cheap n easy beer:drunk:. Would be great if there were a 24/48hr yeast to throw in instead and get livable results and make the process 1 step easier again. Comments/Thoughts??

I'm guessing the trade off is that is throws off a lot of off flavors.

Just an FYI, you can get a lot of yeasts to ferment out in a 2 days...just raise the temp. Get up near 80F and you'll get to your F.G. in no time. If it tastes good to you like that more power to ya.

I intentionally ferment at the low end of 60s and try to mellow my fermentation out. I get really clean flavor that way and I can actually turn out (good) beer faster by fermenting cooler and slower. All the off flavors produced by a vigorous fermentation take additional time for conditioning to clear up.

That said, even at my lower temps my active fermentation only lasts 5 days or so. Sometimes activity really slows down by day 3. I still leave my beer in primary for 2 weeks, longer for higher gravity beers or my scottish ales that I ferment at 55F. The yeast are still working even after F.G. is reached and the airlock stops bubbling.

"You get what you pay for"

If you pay for fast fermentation, you'll get to drink the results of fast fermentation.

If those results are acceptable to you, who are we to tell you "don't do it"?

Why don't you try it and convey the results in this thread?

I doubt it will ferment in 24 hours and it will definitely make a horrible beer. From what I understand the turbo type yeasts don't even make a good beer for distilling.

There is something similar in Sweden called turbo yeast, basically used by Sweden's home distillers to chew through their sugar mash quickly. Checked a few of the Swedish forums to see if anyone has tried brewing beer with turbo yeast and the general consensus is 'don't do it'. Agree with the first reply, just ferment warm. Isn't Mauri yeast supposed to be decent for fermenting at warmer temps?

Interesting comments. At the endof the day if its goin to make a crap beer then its not worth 2 bob. More thought someone here may have tried it already and could shed some light on things. However if thats not the case im only to happy to try myself, but having 120 long necks still in stock im not brewing anytime real soon;) especially since its the 4th day of winter which makes brewing a bit difficult in this changeof season time. Interesting conversation, cheers all.

Back