"Designer Yeast" strains coming to beers near you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

day_trippr

The Central Scruuuutinizer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.wired.com/story/the-secret-ingredient-in-your-craft-beer-gene-edited-yeast/

IT’S 2013 AND the craft beer boom is blooming across the United States. Eager young brewers are placing huge orders for new hop varieties that will soon make IPAs ubiquitous. Citra. Mosaic. Galaxy. Beer cans are churning off distribution lines, ale is flowing from taps, and money is gushing into breweries. But then some of the brewers who ignited the craze take home their cans. They find a glass in the freezer, pop the tab, pour a beautiful head of foam, take a sip—and gag.

Stomping all over those tropical fruit notes is the unwelcome taste of fake movie theater butter. “You’d take a sip and go ‘Wait a minute, that wasn’t there before,’” says J. C. Hill, the brewer and cofounder of Alvarado Street Brewery, a craft beer phenom from Monterey, California, that soared out of the 2010s boom. “I find it to make beer utterly undrinkable,” says Ryan Hammond, head brewer at Oakland’s Temescal Brewing a few hours’ drive north, which charted a similar path.

The odious culprit was a volatile compound called diacetyl, which has a distinctive buttery flavor once common on movie theater popcorn. About 10 years ago it began appearing unexpectedly in hop-heavy beers after they had been canned, turning balanced, fruity IPAs into buttery nastiness.

Brewers like Hill and Hammond can now look back on the diacetyl crisis with some nostalgia. The foul foe has been vanquished by a quieter revolution that has swept through craft beer over the past five years: genetically-modified yeast.

Alvarado and Temescal are both customers of Berkeley Yeast, a San Francisco biotech startup that has grown alongside craft breweries. It sells a “diacetyl-free” yeast with a tiny tweak to its genetic material that makes its cells produce an enzyme called ALDC. The enzyme prevents the diacetyl proliferation that brewers speculate can appear after canning when yeast hasn’t fully fermented some hop compounds. (For a GMO-free alternative, brewers can add off-the-shelf ALDC into brewing vats, but it makes the process more complicated).

[article continues]

I saw $30 an ounce and didn't even scroll down to see how many gallons you can treat with that much. A dollar a batch isn't going to break the bank of course, but I'm not really interested in spending $30 just to try it.

I have experienced effects that I attribute to "hop creep" on occasion, always with my heavily dry-hopped neipas, but only "some times". If I had kept better track it's possible I could narrow it down to specific hop strains, but in any case, since I started using the Scott Janish "cool and quick" approach to dry hopping, I haven't had a lick of evident creep. And that's even being handicapped wrt "dumping the yeast" as I can't do that with carboys.

That related, it's reassuring there's a potential magical spell one can invoke at modest cost to make the whole issue moot. I might have to pick up a packet to have around.

Also, this concept is news to me:

The reason hop creep is a relatively new phenomenon is due to the changing ways in which hops are dried and processed. As brewers started to demand more aromatics from their hops, growers began to lower the kilning temperatures to preserve volatile oils. This led to higher levels of AMG left on the hops as well, where they were previously denatured at the higher kilning temperatures. With more AMG present on the hops, dry hopping now leads to more fermentation activity and higher levels of Diacetyl produced after the primary fermentation is complete.

I've been assuming it was just the result of using a crapton of dry hops for NEIPAs, and particularly strains that are noted to be prone to the phenomenon...

Cheers!

Berkley Yeast does not sell their products in homebrew size packaging. There is a local brewery, Moonraker in Aubern and now Cameron Park, California, that uses their diacetyl free LA III strain. I have harvested and proped it up from the dregs of fresh cans and had good results.

Berkley Yeast does not sell their products in homebrew size packaging.
oddly, i offered to do a purchase of a 1bbl pitch, to be split among 10-20 folks to be able to try some of berkeley's offerings, and nobody really was interested. it was their thiolized conan strain, the new strain that spits out pineapple esters, and/or one of their souring strains that were talked briefly about but went nowhere.

nobody said anything about the aldc strains though. maybe the powder is just easier? offers more flexibility?

This is the one I have used. From Berkley's website:

London DF improves on the original by producing even juicier IPAs all while keeping diacetyl low during fermentation. This means that beer can be packaged sooner and tanks can be turned faster.

Engineered trait: Produces ALDC
Parent strain: London Ale
Temperature range: 64-72° F
Attenuation: 70-75%
Flocculation: Med
Haze: High
Pitch rate: 750,000 Cells/mL/Degree Plato

Good to hear as I too harvested and propogated that Berkeley London DF yeast from a commercial beer. Recently brewed a NEIPA with it, which is currently finishing up fermentation. While I wanted to skip a D rest to test the yeast out, I just couldn't do it. SOP prevailed and so I will not really know if the yeast actually does produce ALDC, but figure it could not hurt any (GMO aside) and would be insurance.

If anyone is interested, I'm getting a bunch of Omega's Bayern DKO so I'm offering it as preorder right now. Should be here by the end of August.

Bayern is an extremely versatile German lager strain that I and many of my local friends use on anything from Helles, German Pils, Vienna Lagers, Munich Dunkels, Doppelbocks, and more. 2nd place NHC German Pils this year was Bayern. Same brewer also took two back to back best of shows with a Vienna lager with the same.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/oyl-433_dko.htm

Last edited:
Love the bayern (OYL-114) so much that it's my house lager strain. It does for me everything Bobby mentioned above. I've never had diacetyl issues with it, but I always run a d-rest step for added insurance. Could be interesting using the DKO version.

You got it - our version of "Postage and Packing", Shipping & Handling plus Tax where applicable (6.5% here - and outtastate vendors never fail to charge that sales tax but I do wonder how much of that $$ ever finds its way back to Massachusetts)...

Cheers!

I wracked my brain for a while but couldn't figure it out, so obvious now you point it out.
I wonder how much of the duty tax on AliExpress purchases finds its way to the country as well.

Latest posts

Back