Making beer with wine yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Brew Science forum. I have used K1V-1116 yeast before for making beer because it is unusual among wine yeasts that it can ferment maltotriose (sp?) It worked well, but the ester profile was a little strange. I think it might make a good saison, but I'm not all that familiar with the style.

In January, I made a ginger beer, and I purposely used a wine yeast that cannot ferment maltotriose (Red Star Cote des Blanc) because I wanted low attenuation and some residual sweetness in the final beer. That seemed to work, and the flavor from the yeast was good. (the flavor of the beer itself was not great) I just got home from being gone almost 2 months and I had 3 bottles left. I chilled them down, and when I opened them each was severely overcarbonated. No other signs of infections, and the taste was good; it had actually improved. After the mess with opening the first one, I cracked the lids on the next two until the CO2 started to bleed out, and I waited about a half hour before I opened them. No gushers that way. Later when I was washing the bottles I noticed stress cracks in the necks. These were very strong plastic bottles and they were starting to fail. I threw them away.

I wonder if the yeast could digest maltotriose and maybe even dextrin, but just very poorly. Given enough time, it slowly attenuated everything and I ended up with way too much CO2. Or is that just crazytalk and the beer was infected? Any biologists here have an opinion?

Back