is the AHA a scam??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHA no. Online Conferences yes. I "went" to 2 last year that pivoted virtual after many years of well attended in person conferences. For the virtual pivots, one went free, one my employer paid nearly 10x the price of the AHA conference. Both were a complete waste for me and I heard similar feedback from peers. Neither had much in the way of on-demand recordings available, it was all live or pre-recorded but only available at a set time. Since people were producing their own content the production quality varied from unwatchable to better done than my local news. Unfortunately the quality of the content didn't always line up with the quality of the production leaving only a few sessions that were really well done. Lastly...most sessions weren't interactive like a web meeting, more like watching TV. Most sessions muted attendees and only responded to questions from the chat. That said, I have no idea how AHA intends to run theirs...maybe they will allow more interaction.

Since you didn't attend last year, that blanket statement of how others are run is really unfair. I personally DID have an equipment issue, but I still finished it and it was available later (with questions asked); however the rest were terrific. Sure, we missed the samples but it was really well-done, and I learned a lot in the seminars.
If you attended last year and have criticisms, the governing committee and seminar selection committee would have loved to hear it before this year's selections. We spent many many hours reviewing all of the seminar proposals, discussing them all. Some panel discussions are not really doable or at least not well done virtually, and so were postponed to next year, but this is not a mickey mouse operation and is incredibly well done, well thought out, and presented.

In direct reply to

is the whole thing a scam? what would this hobby be like if the group people thought was a nonprofit was a nonprofit really working hard to promote homebrewing

I'll offer this from a previous decade (and a different hobby):

Paul Rinaldo’s rule of Amateur Radio Progress:

Progress is made in Amateur Radio by letting energetic individuals move forward. Conversly, nothing in Amateur Radio is accomplished by complaining about other individual’s projects. Simple summary: If you don’t like their project, then go do or support your own choices. Get out of their way.

https://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2008/01/paul-rinaldos-rule-of-amateur-radio-progress/

Maybe it fits here, maybe it doesn't.

Since you didn't attend last year, that blanket statement of how others are run is really unfair.
FWIW, I purchased the live seminars last year. It was a good choice for me. Good content, good discussion.

For those with AHA membership, the 2020 presentations (like many other years of HomeBrew Con) are available as a benefit.

We spent many many hours reviewing all of the seminar proposals, discussing them all.
And I want to add a "Thank you" to you (and the others) for taking the time to edit/curate this content. For me, it's definitely a part of the value that an AHA membership offers.

Last edited:
My other hobby is building model tugboats, so fellow nerd tip of the hat!

images

/Offtopic

I've never attended NHC or HomebrewCon but I've been an AHA member for about a decade shortly after beginning homebrewing. Primarily I joined for Zymurgy and the discount program. These days the discount program is a lot less valuable due to smaller discounts and Zymurgy is a lot of recycling content with less and less about homebrewing. I have other fermentation hobbies so it's not a huge deal but it seems less and less content is aimed at experienced brewers or well researched. I do watch quite a few of the conference videos afterwards.

AHA isn't a scam but it is increasingly disappointing. The governing committee admits (elsewhere) to having no real voice and exerts no effort to have one. Last year they wiped out Gary's position and made the AHA less prominent in the BA. I don't have any interest in funding an industry group I don't belong to, especially given the many problems in the industry unaddressed by the BA. So I'm not terribly sure why I would continue to pay for a membership when the organization isn't doing much for the hobby I care about and the benefits of membership are getting increasingly less valuable.

So I'm not terribly sure why I would continue to pay for a membership when the organization isn't doing much for the hobby I care about and the benefits of membership are getting increasingly less valuable.

thankfully there's not much push back on brewing beer for yourself....

I keep my AHA membership active in the hopes that eventually home distillation will be legalized, although I doubt they will ever take on that pointless battle. It'd be like rolling turds up a hill, only the turds get you drunk quick. Pointless but somehow still worth doing.

I should reach out to NORML, ask what those dudes would do.

Last edited:
My AHA membership is due for renewal, like, right now. I’m kind of on the fence as to whether I’ll renew. Homebrewing, no matter how seriously one pursues it, is still a hobby. Hobbies don’t really require political representation. The businesses which sell us stuff might benefit from a trade organization, but that isn’t a very compelling argument, for me anyway. And, I find Zymurgy to be more of a homebrewing lifestyle magazine than a technical publication.

All of that said, I have an appreciation for what the people who manage and administer the AHA do. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was very much involved with organization work at the state and national levels (agriculture related). I served as President of a state grain growers association and was on the board of directors of the national association for most of the 1980s. So, I’ve BTDT and wore out the T-shirt. I spent 18 years as a road warrior, trying to make the world safe for wheat growers. It was a great experience, which I have likened to getting advanced degrees in Political Science and Economics. The reality of being an unpaid volunteer, however, means that my out of pocket costs over that time were nearly the same as if I’d gone back to school and actually earned those letters.

So, while I know exactly what the folks who keep the doors open and the lights on at the AHA do, I’m not sure I‘m going to send them the price of a couple of batches of homebrew one more time. At this point in my life, I might just rather have the beer. :cool:

Freedom... It's a wonderful thing... and the best part is, you are free not to do stuff... you are also free to complain about said stuff, but we prefer if you just keep that to yourself.

One of the better things AHA helps to provide, thanks to your membership, is access to insurance to cover brew club events. It's not glamourous, it doesn't help you brew better beer, but it definitely would be expensive to acquire on your own, if you could at all, and many venues require it these days. If you are a member of a local club, in order to get the insurance (without having to pay a premium), a majority of members need to be AHA members. So, by having a membership, you are helping out your local club. I also find the quality of said clubs is better and tend not to be just a drunk-fest.

Laws also don't tend to be permanent. Although you can legally brew in all 50 states today, there is no guaranty that it will stay that way. You can be sure the big breweries and liquor store chains are working behind the scenes to lobby that privilege away, just as there are many groups lobbying to ban firearm rights. A lot of the stuff the AHA does is not visible to members, but it is vitally important. Luckily, our hobby doesn't have all the negativity around it that firearms do. If it did, and those lobbying groups chose to do a big campaign to blame drunk driving on AHA members, you can be sure it would be a lot harder to homebrew legally.

Since you didn't attend last year, that blanket statement of how others are run is really unfair.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh calling it a scam but the dynamics of an online conference are dramatically different than an in person conference. It was not intended to be a slam on the presenters who most likely aren't AV professionals and likely aren't used to presenting to a camera. I had two poor experiences and heard about others. I won't be paying for online conferences for the foreseeable future...but look forward to a chance to attend my first Homebrew Con when it returns to an in-person event.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh calling it a scam but the dynamics of an online conference are dramatically different than an in person conference. It was not intended to be a slam on the presenters who most likely aren't AV professionals and likely aren't used to presenting to a camera. I had two poor experiences and heard about others. I won't be paying for online conferences for the foreseeable future...but look forward to a chance to attend my first Homebrew Con when it returns to an in-person event.

See you in Pittsburgh in 2022!

AHA is no more a scam than any other interest-based membership organization.

Have a few people been able to make a living in the process? Yes. Good on them, turning their passion into an income stream!

Is it necessary? IMHO, as long as the production of alcohol is regulated by a faceless government agency with a vested interest in maintaining its own existence, those who wish to indulge in making their own beer need national-level advocacy to represent their interests* and counter bureaucracy's natural proclivity to impose restrictions.

* in a perfectly legal, non-violent, and peaceful manner

I find Zymurgy to be more of a homebrewing lifestyle magazine than a technical publication.
On this one point, I must disagree. Over the years I find Zymurgy to be much more about the science of brewing, especially compared to BYO which I call the “Just do it” magazine.

I find Zymurgy has more technical articles and discusses science more. I find BYO has more “how to” articles about building bottle cleaning stations and things like that.

Last edited:
AHA is no more a scam than any other interest-based membership organization.

Have a few people been able to make a living in the process? Yes. Good on them, turning their passion into an income stream!

Is it necessary? IMHO, as long as the production of alcohol is regulated by a faceless government agency with a vested interest in maintaining its own existence, those who wish to indulge in making their own beer need national-level advocacy to represent their interests* and counter bureaucracy's natural proclivity to impose restrictions.

* in a perfectly legal, non-violent, and peaceful manner
The “govt” where I live now says they will not prosecute pot possession up to 2 oz.
In CA, they won’t prosecute shoplifting up to $100 value.
Times they are a changin’

The “govt” where I live now says they will not prosecute pot possession up to 2 oz.
Not a good time for dollar stores in CA!!

Just like I’m not interested in NEIPA, sour beers, Belgian beers or Kviek yeast, many probably are. Just like I am very interested in British styles, cask ale, pseudo lagers and clean beers, many others probably aren’t. I get that. It’s the nature of the beast.

Tho I'm still <slightly> sour/Belgian/Kviek curious... for the rest you could have been describing me, to a tee, especially the clean beers. They are fun when you nail them!

So, while I know exactly what the folks who keep the doors open and the lights on at the AHA do, I’m not sure I‘m going to send them the price of a couple of batches of homebrew one more time. At this point in my life, I might just rather have the beer. :cool:
I hear you Mark. I've never signed up, but always tell myself I was going to. I recently became a HBT supporter because I've been on long enough to understand there are bills to pay and I really enjoy my time on here so supporting this endeavor is worth the 5$ a month. Also, I don't mind the style of Zymergy, it is not supposed to be technical. If you go by those on here, some of the loudest members may be techy, but the majority want to know enough to brew good beer. I am definitely in this camp. I pick up a copy most times I get into a LHBS, but I wouldn't if it had peer reviewed articles about how yeast mitochondria metabolize hydrocarbons or some such. LOL Brew on !!! :drunk:

I myself don't agree with the shoplifting part. I say don't put them in jail but if they shoplift $50 fine them $200. Deterrent.

I've noticed over the past few years the AHA is more worried about being politically correct than focusing on homebrewing and brewing good beers. IMO, Beer Advocate is even worse.

Give me a good brew or an interesting brewing article and personally, I could care less about the color of their skin, their gender, etc.

Well AHA has always lobbied for home brewer's rights. They are more about the right to brew than how. If you want to know how just buy a book, join a club and there you go. But while you are doing so thank the AHA for your right to do so. Happy brewing and thank you Charlie...
PS: And a big thank you to President Jimmy Carter

I've noticed over the past few years the AHA is more worried about being politically correct than focusing on homebrewing and brewing good beers.

That's quite an exaggeration.

Have they put focus on diversity and inclusion? Yes, and IMO the hobby needs it (just like the craft brewing industry clearly does). Both homebrewing and the craft beer industry are not just "sausagefests", they are predominantly weisswurst.

Have they put more focus on that stuff than on brewing? Not even close. As in, not even remotely close.

That's quite an exaggeration.

Have they put focus on diversity and inclusion? Yes, and IMO the hobby needs it (just like the craft brewing industry clearly does). Both homebrewing and the craft beer industry are not just "sausagefests", they are predominantly weisswurst.

Have they put more focus on that stuff than on brewing? Not even close. As in, not even remotely close.
And it's OK we all have our own opinions of the AHA.

Who has the time to make that??!!
View attachment 731322

You got THAT right! At 71, I might not be around to see that 15 year-old single malt poured. It's even more shocking to realize that the "2021" version of the 25 year-old Bunnahabhain Islay single malt scotch that proudly adorns my man cave bar will be consumed by some random yet-to-be-born lad, but almost certainly not by me!

Back