Iron Hill Brewery and Dock Street

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Just back from PA .. paid a visit to Iron Hill Brewery in West Chester, and also Dock Street in Philly.

Brought my sister to Iron Hill in West Chester, and we ordered a sampler...I liked them all, esp the Pig Iron Porter and the India Black Ale. The gal (Jessica) took the time to carefully explain each style..we had a very nice chat, and she said I could ask for recipes when the brewers returned om Monday..

Hopzilla (all Amarillo) is self-explanatory (and my sister didn't like it)..the Vienna Red Lager was extraordinary..took 2 growlers back to my sister's place (she had never heard of a growler )

The folks behind the bar were very well informed (for example, they both knew how big the brewing system was - 10 bbl) and friendly ..She knew there was Chocolate and also black patent in the Porter. I have to get the recipe.. I give them a solid A..

Dock Street..(Philly) --- problem was it was about 97 deg w/no A/c on a Friday with a busy crowd.. ... ordered a sampler, and girl really cldn't explain anything, so she gave me a sheet explaining each beer... I asked what their system was, but she didn't know what the system capacity was, nor who to ask...

The food was very good, but I know my 2 daughters couldn't wait to leave...I should return in the Fall. The beer was excellent - esp the summer wheat ..Bravo on the beer .. Grade : B

I live near Iron Hill Maple shade....I do know that they train all of their bartenders and wait staff thoroughly before they can begin working there.....from the brewing system and also about beer styles as well as basic all grain brewing knowledge

I believe it's a smart move on their part

I live near Iron Hill Maple shade....I do know that they train all of their bartenders and wait staff thoroughly before they can begin working there.....from the brewing system and also about beer styles as well as basic all grain brewing knowledge

I believe it's a smart move on their part

Definitely agree about Iron Hill's knowledgeable staff. Dock St I've been to many many times when living in West Philly. Absolutely no knowledge in the staff, but Dock St. has a different vibe than most brewpubs. The pizza and outdoor seating draw as many patrons as the beer does.

Hi Bill. When we were in Philly last summer, we did two beer-related things that were outstanding, for when you return in the Fall. First, Philadelphia Brewing Co. is a great old brewery, has a beautiful and fun vintage tasting room, and makes good beers. We were there on a Saturday when they were doing tours. http://philadelphiabrewing.com/

Second, lots of people have heard of Monk's Cafe in Philly - I did not enjoy our time there. Too busy, too loud, too crowded. But they have a less popular sister bar/restaurant called The Belgian Cafe and it was outstanding. An great beer list and an incredible selection of mussels, prepared about a dozen different ways. http://www.thebelgiancafe.com/

I frequent Iron Hill in WC (or DubC). Always had a great meal and great Beer. And you right the Staff know their stuff, which really helps when your feeling indecisive I love the Pig Iron and it's my father-in-laws favor. They have a Scotch Ale in the winter time that is amazing.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Too bad you couldn't of hit Victory as well, its only a few miles outside of West Chester.

Hi Bill. When we were in Philly last summer, we did two beer-related things that were outstanding, for when you return in the Fall. First, Philadelphia Brewing Co. is a great old brewery, has a beautiful and fun vintage tasting room, and makes good beers. We were there on a Saturday when they were doing tours. http://philadelphiabrewing.com/

Second, lots of people have heard of Monk's Cafe in Philly - I did not enjoy our time there. Too busy, too loud, too crowded. But they have a less popular sister bar/restaurant called The Belgian Cafe and it was outstanding. An great beer list and an incredible selection of mussels, prepared about a dozen different ways. http://www.thebelgiancafe.com/

I would suggest going to Yards Brewing Company over PBC. Beers are way better and the brewers are funny and friendly. Their tasting room opened this year and is quite nice. Plus its a very green company.

Belgian Cafe also suffers from problem Monk's has in that its expensive. I like Zot in Old City for mussels and more affordable Belgian beers. Plus the 10 pm - 12 am happy hour is where its at.

Also everyone going to Philly should stop in at Nodding Head. Drink the beers, eat the muffuletta, be merry. Honestly though its Philly so just wander around and enjoy yourself. A walk through Grad Hospital for instance can have you in 5 great beer bars in a few blocks.

Follow up =

Got a reply from Larry, the brewer at Iron Hill in W.C. Said he would be happy to send along the Pig Iron Porter recipe in ProMash...of course, I went right ahead and got ProMash, and will wait for his attachment.

What a class act !

Follow up =

Got a reply from Larry, the brewer at Iron Hill in W.C. Said he would be happy to send along the Pig Iron Porter recipe in ProMash...of course, I went right ahead and got ProMash, and will wait for his attachment.

What a class act !

That's awesome!...Please do share when you get it. Granted I use BrewPal... I'd love to do it for my FIL birthday in Dec.

OK - Here is what I have ... note - the yeast is not listed, but he told me he uses is Ringwood.... I used US-05

His efficiency is cranked in at 82% --(my best ever is in the high 60's) so adjust your grain bill accordingly (the 666lbs of grain will need to be adjusted, obviously !)...just use his percentages

an excellent beer.

Thank you Larry Horowitz @ Iron Hill

======================================================
Iron Hill Pig Iron Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 341.00 Wort Size (Gal): 341.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 666.00
Anticipated OG: 1.059 Plato: 14.41
Anticipated SRM: 34.1
Anticipated IBU: 33.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 115 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 478.60 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.042 SG 10.41 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.6 410.00 lbs. Marris Otter Great Britian 1.038 2
8.4 56.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
7.5 50.00 lbs. Flaked Barley America 1.032 2
7.2 48.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
8.3 55.00 lbs. Munich Malt Type I Germany 1.039 6
5.6 37.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
1.5 10.00 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
49.00 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 32.6 75 min.
16.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 5.00 0.9 3 min.

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 666.00
Water Qts: 786.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 196.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.18 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 163 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 167 Time: 90

Total Mash Volume Gal: 249.78 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

WCrane said:
I frequent Iron Hill in WC (or DubC).

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Too bad you couldn't of hit Victory as well, its only a few miles outside of West Chester.

Hey we may have seen each other at some point.

And second that about victory.

I've always found Iron Hill's staff to be very professional. I've been to a few of their locations, and none have blown me away. However, I'm happy to give them my business because the staff is superb and the franchise is a part of the movement.

Back