Visiting Philadelphia Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on where you are staying in Logan Square, but those aren't in the immediate vicinity. Crime and Punishment is a bit north and is about a 25 - 30 minute walk. Bar Hygge is close but is still probably a 20 minute walk. I go to the latter a lot and like it quite a bit. Pretty good food, great atmosphere, and the beer is good to really good depending on the style. Crime and Punishment is cool but significantly smaller. I wasn't too excited by their beers originally but I went back recently and they were much better. If you have time, it's worth a visit, but it's not something to go out of your way.

Otherwise, you are in Center City so there's tons of places to go depending on what you want. City Tap House Logan has average food but is big and has an extensive draft list. Generally expensive though. Moving a little further into Center City, you could do the tourist thing and hit Monk's or get Mexican and go to Jose Pistola's. Good Dog has a good draft list and used to have a really good blue cheese stuffed burger but I haven't been there in forever. Some good bars in the northern liberties and fishtown area, but they would take a subway ride. Others will probably have some more recommendations as I don't go out a ton anymore.

Oh nice! City Tap House Logan is apparently right next to my hotel. I'll be at The Logan. Guess I know where I'll be every evening.

Oh nice! City Tap House Logan is apparently right next to my hotel. I'll be at The Logan. Guess I know where I'll be every evening.
I say this with all due respect, please explore other places. Even staying next door I might not visit. There are so many great places that are only slightly further that I urge you to consider.

Conference is out at noon and flight is at 6. If we had 3 hours to chill and play a game that would make me very happy.

I think they have been covered unless standard tap (great food and tap list) is open at lunch. Khyber is also pretty dead during the day and definitely open for lunch.

Oh now that I think about local 44 is right on campus and may fit your requirements.

Basically I'm not sure anyone cares what you do at your table as long as you're ordering beers. Most of the spots outside of center city should be dead during the day.

I say this with all due respect, please explore other places. Even staying next door I might not visit. There are so many great places that are only slightly further that I urge you to consider.

Definitely. Rittenhouse is a very nice area of the city to walk through and Tria taproom always has some really awesome and rare stuff. (A HF keg usually)

I think they have been covered unless standard tap (great food and tap list) is open at lunch. Khyber is also pretty dead during the day and definitely open for lunch.

Oh now that I think about local 44 is right on campus and may fit your requirements.

Basically I'm not sure anyone cares what you do at your table as long as you're ordering beers. Most of the spots outside of center city should be dead during the day.

Definitely. Rittenhouse is a very nice area of the city to walk through and Tria taproom always has some really awesome and rare stuff. (A HF keg usually)
Don't know how I forgot Local 44. That's probably best option if they are open. Great little bottle shop next door too.

Don't know how I forgot Local 44. That's probably best option if they are open. Great little bottle shop next door too.

Most excellent! Thank you all so much for your input. Local 44 was on my radar, but like I mentioned I wasn't sure what the chill & game vibe would be like. And we're definitely down to order beers to make it worth their while. Today was my last day and Job A and I'm starting Job B next Monday so my brother and I are descending on your fair city Wed-Sat and we're bringing our drinking shoes.

Most excellent! Thank you all so much for your input. Local 44 was on my radar, but like I mentioned I wasn't sure what the chill & game vibe would be like. And we're definitely down to order beers to make it worth their while. Today was my last day and Job A and I'm starting Job B next Monday so my brother and I are descending on your fair city Wed-Sat and we're bringing our drinking shoes.

Make sure you get out to tired hands. Probably can get some cans fairly easily if you have a chair and some time to kill at ferm.

Thanks for the Local 44 rec!
IMG_20160615_131214864_zpsch9ohciq.jpg

A co-worker and I are flying into Philadelphia on Wednesday the 10th and staying in Levittown for a morning meeting on the 11th. Any recs for good food and beer up that way? Thanks!

A co-worker and I are flying into Philadelphia on Wednesday the 10th and staying in Levittown for a morning meeting on the 11th. Any recs for good food and beer up that way? Thanks!
Definitely agree with Trenton Rd for beer to go.
I'd check out Hulmeville Inn for beers/food
http://hulmevilleinn.com/beer/

Also Neshaminy Creek Brewing taproom is in Croydon near by. No food (sometimes food trucks or local places will deliver) but might be worth checking out for beers depending how much time you have

Last edited:

For tap list check out the Hulmeville Inn, tired hands drafts and best selection normally. Food wise I don't love the place but Wings, Perogies, and the Chicken Parm Sandwich are good. Better food at a bar with okay beer selection is Dog n Bull but beer list isn't as good. Also can get pretty cramped but they have outside seating and live music inside every night.

If you're willing to travel a bit and have a rental car or something the Churchville Inn has probably the best beers and bourbons in the suburbs this way.

Feel free to PM me any questions I grew up in Levittown and live right next to the Hulmeville Inn (they also offer Tired Hands Crowlers)

Last edited:
I'm flying into Philly and need to kill a few hours there before training out to Absecon in a week or so. Is Monk's the spot to go? Or is that yesterday's papers?

It's not a bad place to spend some time, but there are generally better depending on what you want. If you want a specific beer, then check out www.phillytapfinder.com and look for specific beers. It's also Beer Week though the events are remarkably lackluster this year.

I'm flying into Philly and need to kill a few hours there before training out to Absecon in a week or so. Is Monk's the spot to go? Or is that yesterday's papers?

Monk's is good, but you probably shouldn't get your hopes up too much on the lambic front. Akkurat they are not. When last I was there a few days before Zwanze Day I was able to get a bottle of Hommage. $50 plus tax (10%) and tip, so not exactly cheap.

My favorite bar as a visitor passing through was Jon's, where Beeradelphia tends bar.

Some bars I'm partial to: Fountain Porter, Martha, Standard Tap, American Sardine Bar, Khyber Pass Pub, Local 44.

Some bars I'm partial to: Fountain Porter, Martha, Standard Tap, American Sardine Bar, Khyber Pass Pub, Local 44.
All good choices. You can decide based on taplist or food as well. Though check hours because last I knew Fountain Porter doesn't open until 4 or 5, for example.

edit: Also very different parts of the city. Not a big deal if you are just taking uber around but something to think about.

Monk's is good, but you probably shouldn't get your hopes up too much on the lambic front. Akkurat they are not. When last I was there a few days before Zwanze Day I was able to get a bottle of Hommage. $50 plus tax (10%) and tip, so not exactly cheap.

My favorite bar as a visitor passing through was Jon's, where Beeradelphia tends bar.
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have to stay close to 30th St. station, so Monk's might be the best walkable spot unless there are others that I missed from michael 's list.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have to stay close to 30th St. station, so Monk's might be the best walkable spot unless there are others that I missed from michael 's list.
Local 44 is pretty close. Also check out Tria Taproom, which is closer than Monk's and usually has a nice draft list.

Local 44 is pretty close. Also check out Tria Taproom, which is closer than Monk's and usually has a nice draft list.
Ended up hauling ass from the airport to town. Got a quick pour of Tilquin at Monk's then walked to Tria for lunch and another beer. They were serving some stuff from Vault and had a nice IPA from them and some nice food too. Walked back to 30th in under 90 minutes.

Now off to South Jersey...

Of the Tria, Monks, and Khyber trifecta I did last time I was in town I dug Khyber most.

Will be in town Wednesday night again if any locals want to meet up for a pint.

So, I don't recognize any of the breweries on these lists. If I could only go to a couple, which ones are "can't miss"?

Also any of these places not family friendly? I will be there in August with the kids. What are the rules in PA?

So, I don't recognize any of the breweries on these lists. If I could only go to a couple, which ones are "can't miss"?

Also any of these places not family friendly? I will be there in August with the kids. What are the rules in PA?
where will you be, exactly? in the city? suburbs?

Damn that phillytapfinder.com is a huge assist as well.

Thoughts on South Philly Tap Room? I have a serious thing for Melvin 2x4.
And while the City Tap House @ Logan doesn't seem to be everyone's fav, the tap list is pretty nice comparatively. Plus I"m on the company dime so....

The tap list at City Tap House logan is almost always good and if you aren't paying go for it. Not a ton else around here though. I'd skip the food there while it's not bad, it's not super great.

I haven't been to South Philly Tap Room (SPTR) but I think it's still fairly popular for a neighborhood place. Lots of good bars around that area too if you get tired of it.

Damn that phillytapfinder.com is a huge assist as well.

Thoughts on South Philly Tap Room? I have a serious thing for Melvin 2x4.
And while the City Tap House @ Logan doesn't seem to be everyone's fav, the tap list is pretty nice comparatively. Plus I"m on the company dime so....
I'd skip both to be honest. SPTR is solid, but not worth your trip. I feel strongly about City Tap House, and not in a good way.

If you aren't going to check out Fountain Porter in South Philly (which is a killer recommendation btw and probably my favorite bar in the city), I'd probably head to some places north. IMO, Fermentary Foam is a must hit if it's open (check with them because they have weird and sporadic hours, but their beers are awesome). From there you could hit Martha and Memphis Taproom, and maybe Standard Tap on your way back if you're staying in Center City.

I'd skip both to be honest. SPTR is solid, but not worth your trip. I feel strongly about City Tap House, and not in a good way.

If you aren't going to check out Fountain Porter in South Philly (which is a killer recommendation btw and probably my favorite bar in the city), I'd probably head to some places north. IMO, Fermentary Foam is a must hit if it's open (check with them because they have weird and sporadic hours, but their beers are awesome). From there you could hit Martha and Memphis Taproom, and maybe Standard Tap on your way back if you're staying in Center City.
Heard about that Fermentary.... will be watching the FB should they pop open when I'm in town.

So, Philly folks don't use taplists as an attractor to a bar? With a tonne to choose from I have to narrow it down. Having certain or particular beers is enough to get me to go somewhere in reasonable distance.

Admittedly, I just now looked at Fountain Porter taps.... sold.
And with a couple other spots in the neighborhood I will follow the rec and skip City Tap house.

Now WHERE IS PADDY'S PUB?????

I would say that SPTR is worth checking out. Good draft list & very good food. And it is nice to see a different neighborhood, if you have not been in that part of the city before.

After dinner and a drink or two there, you can walk north, after a good walk, have a night cap at Monk's or Jose Pistola's.

I will be staying in Ardmore with my kids and doing all the typical touristy stuff in the city during the day. I will have a car.
So I assume you will obviously be hitting Tired Hands, right? You will have a car so you can easily drive to Theresa's in Wayne, which is about 20 mins away. They consistently have one of the best tap lists in the area, and tend to have at least one lambic on tap. You are also a pretty short drive to Forest and Main, which is worth checking out.

Back