Visiting Philadelphia Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware Fountain Porter doesn't open until 4pm during the week. They apparently open at 11am now on the weekends at least. I still have never been which is a shame but it's just never worked out.

Just be aware Fountain Porter doesn't open until 4pm during the week. They apparently open at 11am now on the weekends at least. I still have never been which is a shame but it's just never worked out.
and they have a weekend happy hour starting right when they open! or maybe it starts at 12. either way, happy hour Saturday at lunchtime? yes please.

Heard about that Fermentary.... will be watching the FB should they pop open when I'm in town.

So, Philly folks don't use taplists as an attractor to a bar? With a tonne to choose from I have to narrow it down. Having certain or particular beers is enough to get me to go somewhere in reasonable distance.

Admittedly, I just now looked at Fountain Porter taps.... sold.
And with a couple other spots in the neighborhood I will follow the rec and skip City Tap house.

Now WHERE IS PADDY'S PUB?????

We’re really spoiled here so many bars have appealing tap lists at any one time. I think we also have preferred neighborhoods where we like to go out and Logan circle isn’t one of them.

FP is also my favorite bar in the city. They always seem to have one really interesting thing on tap and get a good selection of tired hands too.

I’d definitely say SPTR is worth checking out if something on the list intrigues you but don’t come to check out the neighborhood. Although if you’re into Malaysian food (or just an adventurous eater) see if Hardena is open at Hicks and Moore a block north of SPTR. Just got mentioned on the James beard nominees. Second district brewing is also nearby if you want to try another brewery here.

We’re really spoiled here so many bars have appealing tap lists at any one time. I think we also have preferred neighborhoods where we like to go out and Logan circle isn’t one of them.

FP is also my favorite bar in the city. They always seem to have one really interesting thing on tap and get a good selection of tired hands too.

I’d definitely say SPTR is worth checking out if something on the list intrigues you but don’t come to check out the neighborhood. Although if you’re into Malaysian food (or just an adventurous eater) see if Hardena is open at Hicks and Moore a block north of SPTR. Just got mentioned on the James beard nominees. Second district brewing is also nearby if you want to try another brewery here.
Yeah, lots of goodies out there. Definitely a drinking town. Whats up with that?
I'm not an adventurous eater. I have no idea who James Beard is.
Will hit SPTR just for 2x4.

Yeah, lots of goodies out there. Definitely a drinking town. Whats up with that?.
From what I understand We’ve been a drinking town for a while and a few guys here have very good relationships in the industry. That means this market looks very appealing when you want to expand and we also get things that are only available a few other places (RR).

Any local guys want a Sixers ticket Friday night?

Only caveat is you have to sit next to me.

I’m in you Philly.
Hit SPTR to knock 2x4 off the list and have a solid burger. The Peak Organic dh pils was mucho enjoyable too.
Then off to Fountain Porter (as I type this)... great spot. I get it. Straight forward, great taps, vinyl stack, laid back but not too much. I dig. I get it.

Huge ups to those who pushed this place (primarily Shakedwnst) Thank you.

And hit khyber just for blind pig but it kicked.
Settled for a coffee quad cause why not. After visiting the other places I much prefer those south philly spots.

Thanks again gents.
Form is open between 5:30 and 10:00 today I believe, if you have time to stop by. Glad you've enjoyed your time so far.

Settled for a coffee quad cause why not. After visiting the other places I much prefer those south philly spots.

Thanks again gents.
Paddy's Pub isn't really Paddy's Pub.

Mac's Tavern is owned by Mac and Dee and isn't a bad place.

Looks like Blind Pig is on at Monk's right now if you want it.

Thanks again gents.

Glad you liked them. Part of the reason we live down here.

And the smoking thing is weird. There are a handful of bars that just don’t care.

The Kyber's food used to be amazing if you like the style. Haven't eaten there in years though so can't guarantee it's still good.
Mmmmmmm, popcorn popped in bacon grease

Paddy's Pub isn't really Paddy's Pub.

Mac's Tavern is owned by Mac and Dee and isn't a bad place.

Looks like Blind Pig is on at Monk's right now if you want it.
I opted not to hit Monk's in favor of the spots in South Ph.
Hit Khyber and Paddy's because proximity to hotel.

Yeah, figured the Paddy's wasn't really linked to the show (although they try to claim there is a connection and have a picture of the gang there). Needless to say I got an appropriate shirt for tomorrow and likely to be worn once per year going forward.

I asked about this in the other Philly thread, but I forget which one people use and look at, so I'll x-post here.

So what's the deal with Fermentary Form? If I go tomorrow at open, is it likely to be a ********, or is it pretty mellow?

Can I hypothetically have a beer or two, then make it over to CBP for first pitch at 4:05?

Hey all - Of the Center City options listed, which has the best cocktails?
Thanks in advance for the responses, & for setting up this thread - super helpful, just what I'm looking for.

Hey all - Of the Center City options listed, which has the best cocktails?
Thanks in advance for the responses, & for setting up this thread - super helpful, just what I'm looking for.
if you're just looking for cocktails and not beer, my favorite is 1 Tippling Place. of course that's a few blocks away from CC.

if you're just looking for cocktails and not beer, my favorite is 1 Tippling Place. of course that's a few blocks away from CC.
I was looking for both, but now I'll definitely keep this place in mind if the spirit moves me. Thanks!

If I wanted a cocktail and some fire pizza, I'd hit W/N W/N and get a gutter pie walk-in at like 5-6pm

Bars don’t really do both in Philly....maybe try Cinder?

Is rittenhouse in play? Maybe look at a.bar

Plenty of great cocktail bars around these days, but most don’t have good beer

Someone recommended The Dandelion & I really dug it. Three beer engines with imperial pours, another eight-ish drafts, & good house cocktails (wife got a stout flip, I had a Scotch/bourbon old fashioned). Tria was across the street, went there for a couple drafts while waiting for a table & returned tonight for dinner. Great stuff!

Back