Visiting Philadelphia Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be in Philly tonight around 830 or 9. Planning to hit Monk's Cafe as I've never had the pleasure. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer, shoot me a message. Cheers!

Will be in Philly tonight around 830 or 9. Planning to hit Monk's Cafe as I've never had the pleasure. If anyone wants to meet up for a beer, shoot me a message. Cheers!
If you feel like hitting up more places than Monk's, here is a list of taps within walking distance: http://www.phillytapfinder.com/hood/rittenhouse/
& http://www.phillytapfinder.com/hood/graduate-hospital/

Tria Tap Room has BFM 225 on draft and Good Dog (about a block away) looks like it still has Sticky Monkee on draft. If you're looking for bottle shops, Food and Friends (20th and Spruce; good selection; okay prices by Philly standards) and Corner Foodery (17th and Sansom; great selection; expensive as hell) are very close.

Edit: Also seeing that Cambridge at 15th and South (three minute walk from Monk's) has some good stuff on including Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up if you are looking to try some PB beers.

Last edited:
If you feel like hitting up more places than Monk's, here is a list of taps within walking distance: http://www.phillytapfinder.com/hood/rittenhouse/
& http://www.phillytapfinder.com/hood/graduate-hospital/

Tria Tap Room has BFM 225 on draft and Good Dog (about a block away) looks like it still has Sticky Monkee on draft. If you're looking for bottle shops, Food and Friends (20th and Spruce; good selection; okay prices by Philly standards) and Corner Foodery (17th and Sansom; great selection; expensive as hell) are very close.

Edit: Also seeing that Cambridge at 15th and South (three minute walk from Monk's) has some good stuff on including Pizza Boy Sunny Side Up if you are looking to try some PB beers.

Don't even ask and you shall still receive. I love TB. Thanks mdillon86

I'll be opening a few bottles with a friend tonight at 10pm at Jon's Bar and Grille. Pm if interested in joining or stopping by for a brew.

This is really quite a find. Your local beer community has made my trip easy. Coming from a town with 91 breweries, I see how important strategic pre-planning is and this site is pretty outstanding. Crosses nicely with several Philly transplant recs. I like Monk's, but really it's nice to find that there's a ton of other good stuff. Thanks for this

There is so much 2SP around Philly these days. Unfortunately, I haven't really found anyone that likes the beers enough to recommend them.

There is so much 2SP around Philly these days. Unfortunately, I haven't really found anyone that likes the beers enough to recommend them.
I just imagine Don Russel and his disciples ordering the beers and yearning for the good old days. To be fair their flagship lager is really tasty, but everything else I've had has been so boring it hurts.

I just think it's funny that a clear paid shill popped in here and succeeded at the opposite of what they were going for. Is there a decent Imperial Stout from 2SP at least?

I just think it's funny that a clear paid shill popped in here and succeeded at the opposite of what they were going for. Is there a decent Imperial Stout from 2SP at least?
Well, if you liked the Iron Hill RIS, 2SP's tastes exactly like it.

The Russian is pretty good, haven't cracked the BBA version yet. I've never had anything that's completely blown me away from them, but they do seem solid.

Yeah it's pretty out of date at this point. Nodding Head closed down too. Also it's missing Bar Hygge.

Question: I've spent a bit of time reading through this thread, checking out websites, etc. But one thing I can't get a great feel for (but hopefully I could get some help with here) is an answer to this: I'm meeting up with a buddy who has a few hours between the end of a conference near Penn and needing to hop on a plane. We're board game nerds so he brought a game with him in his luggage from Denver. What is a place that you'd recommend for lunch/good beers BUT also has the space for us to sit and wouldn't mind us hanging out there just drinking beers and playing games for a few hours? Since we only have ~4 hour window I'd prefer it to be close-ish or along the way between the University and airport so we spend more time doing and less time driving. Thanks!

Wow, pretty extensive list of bars and brewpubs. I'll be in Philly in a couple of weeks and haven't been there in forever. Staying in Logan Square, anything good right around there?

I found a map that listed Crime and Punishment and Bar Hygge not being too far, but I don't see any mention of those while skimming this thread.

It depends on where you are staying in Logan Square, but those aren't in the immediate vicinity. Crime and Punishment is a bit north and is about a 25 - 30 minute walk. Bar Hygge is close but is still probably a 20 minute walk. I go to the latter a lot and like it quite a bit. Pretty good food, great atmosphere, and the beer is good to really good depending on the style. Crime and Punishment is cool but significantly smaller. I wasn't too excited by their beers originally but I went back recently and they were much better. If you have time, it's worth a visit, but it's not something to go out of your way.

Otherwise, you are in Center City so there's tons of places to go depending on what you want. City Tap House Logan has average food but is big and has an extensive draft list. Generally expensive though. Moving a little further into Center City, you could do the tourist thing and hit Monk's or get Mexican and go to Jose Pistola's. Good Dog has a good draft list and used to have a really good blue cheese stuffed burger but I haven't been there in forever. Some good bars in the northern liberties and fishtown area, but they would take a subway ride. Others will probably have some more recommendations as I don't go out a ton anymore.

Question: I've spent a bit of time reading through this thread, checking out websites, etc. But one thing I can't get a great feel for (but hopefully I could get some help with here) is an answer to this: I'm meeting up with a buddy who has a few hours between the end of a conference near Penn and needing to hop on a plane. We're board game nerds so he brought a game with him in his luggage from Denver. What is a place that you'd recommend for lunch/good beers BUT also has the space for us to sit and wouldn't mind us hanging out there just drinking beers and playing games for a few hours? Since we only have ~4 hour window I'd prefer it to be close-ish or along the way between the University and airport so we spend more time doing and less time driving. Thanks!
There is nothing between the University and the airport, so nix that. Otherwise, I guess maybe City Tap House would work? It's west a little between 39th and 40th but that's not far from Penn. Similar to the Logan location, the drafts are generally extensive but expensive. Tons of room there and I figure they wouldn't mind you staying a long time if you're buying drinks and such. Others may have more experience than me though.

There is nothing between the University and the airport, so nix that. Otherwise, I guess maybe City Tap House would work? It's west a little between 39th and 40th but that's not far from Penn. Similar to the Logan location, the drafts are generally extensive but expensive. Tons of room there and I figure they wouldn't mind you staying a long time if you're buying drinks and such. Others may have more experience than me though.
shadowane is right, but you can make it to the airport in less than 20 minutes from pretty much anywhere near center city and the surrounding areas. I'm not sure what time it opens, but Fountain Porter may fit the bill. One of my absolute favorite places. Great draft list, good vibes, and will likely be pretty open at that time. You will be at the airport in 15 minutes from their door step.

I would cab/Uber it from Penn to Fountain Porter (~10-15 mins) and get a cab to the airport from there.

shadowane is right, but you can make it to the airport in less than 20 minutes from pretty much anywhere near center city and the surrounding areas. I'm not sure what time it opens, but Fountain Porter may fit the bill. One of my absolute favorite places. Great draft list, good vibes, and will likely be pretty open at that time. You will be at the airport in 15 minutes from their door step.

I would cab/Uber it from Penn to Fountain Porter (~10-15 mins) and get a cab to the airport from there.
That's true, I was thinking of the train. I still haven't been to Fountain Porter. I so rarely get to South Philly.

That's true, I was thinking of the train. I still haven't been to Fountain Porter. I so rarely get to South Philly.
Yea if he's tied to the train, options are much more limited given size/crowds of the places in close proximity to the train. For an extra $20, I'd take the cab and have an experience more in line with his expectations.

Yea if he's tied to the train, options are much more limited given size/crowds of the places in close proximity to the train. For an extra $20, I'd take the cab and have an experience more in line with his expectations.
At this point, is uber cheaper than cabs?

edit: Well, uberx.

At this point, is uber cheaper than cabs?

edit: Well, uberx.
Not sure about an airport fare. Probably roughly equivalent. A cab from 10th and Tasker should only run about $25 (so actually probably $15 less than the train). Last time I took a regular Uber to the airport from Center City and almost **** at the price - over $70!!!

That's regular uber though. I just looked at the app and UberX was around $17 from 17th and Arch.

Uber X is by far the cheapest way to get to the airport.

FP doesn't open until 4. Finding bars open at lunch is tough. Hawthornes probably
Fits the bill as much as I hate the place. Maybe royal tavern too if you want something more divey. Can also check out POPE and South Philly taproom but I'm not sure of their hours.

Also from Logan, Rittenhouse has Tria taproom and kite and key is a few blocks north at 19 and callowhill.

Also from Logan, Rittenhouse has Tria taproom and kite and key is a few blocks north at 19 and callowhill.
Pizzeria Vetri is also very close and very delicious. They also often have Tired Hands on draft. Alla Spina is also close by and likely to have several Tired Hands and other good drafts (e.g. Carton drafts).

Eh, Alla Spina is about as close as Bar Hygge to Logan Square and I'd rather go to the latter at this point.

Man, you two love South Philly.
I mean, Center City isn't teeming with places that will let you sit at a table with board games for 4 hours. I could have suggested places in fish town, northern liberties, etc, but want to keep him close to the airport, which is ya know, south of most of the city.

Last edited:

Dock Street? Seems to best fit the environment and geography you're seeking.

Anyone have strong dissenting opinions against?

I mean, Center City isn't teeming with places that will let you sit at a table with board games for 4 hours. I could have suggested places in fish town, northern liberties, etc, but want to keep him close to the airport, which is ya know, south of most of the city.

I'm not cool enough to hang out in northern liberties or Kensington and I'll readily admit that.

Also if going from west philly to the airport south Philly is really all that's on the way...
Yeah that's true, I honestly hadn't thought about that.

As far as Dock Street, it's all the way up at 50th so you'd need to uber or cab there from the campus. Good pizza and reasonably decent beers. I'm not sure when it opens during the week though.

second pizzeria Vetri. Both locations should be very close.

I also live in south Philly with a baby so that's where most of my non-rooftop drinking occurs

Yoooo you guys kick ass. I'll actually have a car so I can drive him to the airport so time/cost/whatever isn't a huge deal I guess. Pretending I didn't say "between Penn and the airport" does that change any suggestions?

Yoooo you guys kick ass. I'll actually have a car so I can drive him to the airport so time/cost/whatever isn't a huge deal I guess. Pretending I didn't say "between Penn and the airport" does that change any suggestions?
Nice. What's the timing between end of conference and flight?

Back