IPA tastes like wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonhagen1

Reaction score
i brewed an IPA with us05 and bottled 1/5/12 tasted one today and it tastes like wine will this calm with age any help is great thanks

like a white wine and i dont know maybe to dry but has a sweetness to it it was an extract recipie and have not done one in over a year but have never had this taste og was 1060 fg was 1013.

The fg doesn't seem as if it would be excessively sweet. I'm guessing it's the priming sugar that is causing the sweet taste. It has only been in the bottle a few days.

The fg doesn't seem as if it would be excessively sweet. I'm guessing it's the priming sugar that is causing the sweet taste. It has only been in the bottle a few days.

I've read where you're not supposed to drink it until it has sat in the bottle for about a week or two. That's probably why it tastes funny

ferm temp was at 60-62 and ya i know its green that is not the flavor but time will tell i guess

and as i said in the first post i used us05 primary for 11 days

I can't picture an IPA resembling a white wine unless you used a very specific combination of ingredients, including such things as Nelson Sauvign hops and Brettanomyces clausenii yeast.

Please post a complete recipe and process description, and post again in about two weeks with an updated taste description (conditioning beers don't taste very much like finished beers).

it was a kit recipe,so here it is

6lbs light liquid malt
2lbs dry malt
.25lbs munich malt
.75lbs amber crystal malt

1oz chinook 60 min
.5oz cascade 20 min
.5oz columbus 3 min
whirlflock 15 min
and burton water salts
us05 yeast
steeped the grains in 1 gallon water 155* 45 min in my oven added water to three and half gallons did normal boil

Back