Wine that tastes like clear Rum! (Killer Kilju Recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiljuBrew

Reaction score
Awhile back I posted my journey to making the cleanest tasting Kilju possible (sugar wine). Ive made significant strides since then so I figured I would share my updated recipe. The result is a crystal clear 10% ABV beverage that tastes just like clear rum. Seriously that good. My wife and I just tried this latest batch and both said wow, thats good. It mixes very well with anything you would mix clear rum with.

Recipe for 1 gallon

- In a large pot add 1.5 lbs of cane sugar to just enough water to cover the sugar. Bring to boil.
- Stir until sugar is totally dissolved.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a separate small pot bring to boil 2 teaspoons of Fleischmanns bread yeast in a half cup of water. Cool to warm, then add 1.5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and stir til dissolved (I use North Mountain).
- Cool both pots to room temperature then add both to your carboy.
- Top up with water.
- Pitch half a packet of Fleichmanns bread yeast. Note: after trying several varieties of wine yeasts including 71B and EC1118, Fleischmanns is a clear winner for this brew. Wine yeast tends to impart a white wine flavor which is gross in this application as there is no other flavors to compliment it. Fleischmanns imparts no flavor which is what you want.
- Cap and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Remove cap to allow fresh air in, recap and shake for 30 more seconds.
- Install airlock.
- Ferment at around 70-72F.
- Starting gravity should be approximately 1.070 and yield approximately 10-11% ABV.
- Primary fermentation should be complete in 14 days.
- Final gravity should end up at 0.990.
- Once primary is complete wait until totally clear (approx. 1 month).
- Rack (this is where we tasted most recently).
- I am now aging for an additional month to see what additional age may do to it.

I kid you not, this is a delicious substitute for clear rum. Pour 6 ounces and mix whatever you want in it. The only flavor it has is a faint touch of cane sugar, even though it is completely dry. It finishes out as clear as glass. The only downside which I am hoping will clear up with additional time in aging is a slight off smell on the nose, which does not come through to the palate in any way. Im thinking the racking and additional time will remove this smell entirely as there was a noticeable amount of carbonation still in solution and agitating the glass seemed to eliminate it.

My wife approved this message.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back