Can Fermentation Smell from a sugar wash get on other wines which are stored in SS tanks with floating lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

There is one thing that I am wondering, lets assume that you have 50 liters of wine stored in an SS Tank with floating lid and waterless air lock, and at the same time you make a sugar wash fermentation in the same room and then distilling in the same room, during this initial fermentation and distilling after that, is it possible that the fermentation smell or the smell of the backset can get on to the the wine which has been previously stored in the tank aging, could it be possible that the fermentation smell alter that wines smell and taste in any way ? To be on the safe side I put on the dust cover on the tank and used tap around it, I am asking this because in winemaking it is said that even the perfume you wear could get on the wine, but does that hold true for fermentation smell and the smell of the backset ?

Back