Interesting IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemingsFinest

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am going to be brewing my first AG IPA in about a month. Naturally, I'm going for a sweet hop bill with this baby. However, I personally love IPA's that have noticeable malt character, and I wanted mine to have that as well, so that this thing doesnt really turn into a hop monster so to speak. Anybody have any fun ideas for a malt bill that might make this beer a little unique? Just for fun, thanks for any input. Cheers!

Hey guys,

I am going to be brewing my first AG IPA in about a month. Naturally, I'm going for a sweet hop bill with this baby. However, I personally love IPA's that have noticeable malt character, and I wanted mine to have that as well, so that this thing doesnt really turn into a hop monster so to speak. Anybody have any fun ideas for a malt bill that might make this beer a little unique? Just for fun, thanks for any input. Cheers!

Depending on what you want, you could do lots of things with a grain bill. I go from ultra simple (13 pounds pale malt, 8 ounces amber malt) on some IPAs to something totally different- like using Golden Promise as the base malt in a current IPA.

If you want some malt backbone to "hold up" the hops, a good addition is Munich malt and/or some Vienna malt.

+1 to Munich/Vienna. I've also used some Victory malt in a Pale Ale, with some success. It adds a bready/biscuity note that can be pleasant depending on the hop schedule. Changing the base malts can achieve this also. Instead of using 2 row, try Maris Otter, Golden Promise, or Pale Ale Malt. They will give you a little darker color than regular 2 row, and a different flavor profile

Thanks guys? I'm going to use 2 row as my base, with a small quantity of caramel 60, and some vienna i have laying around. i am also thinking about adding a very small amount of Biscuit malt for an added dryness/biscuit flavor.

Back