Faction - Penske File

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujitsudave

Reaction score
Holy cow, is this beer amazing. They pack so much hop flavor in this beer, and I love the fact that it is still a pale ale. It’s kind of everything I wish to find in an IPA as of late. Otherwise, I find most IPA to be trending towards being too sweet. Not this though. Perfect balance of dry and hoppy.

So the question is, anyone have a reference on how I might go about building this thing?

On the can it says 2-row, and crystal 45, Ekuanot and mosaic, 5.8%. I’ve found pictures online that suggest it’s about 40 IBU. I think I can figure out the basics, grain bill, color, and bittering additions. But where do I even start to build the hop flavor that this has? I suspect in the dry hop?

Any Pale Ale experts out there?

Trial and error. You may even end up with something you like better.

I'm not a "Pale Ale expert," but it is the style I brew most and have done well with in competition. Judges tend to like pale ales that are true pale ales (i.e., keep the bitterness balanced). I like to use enough bittering hops to get in the 40-50 IBU range, big slugs of hops at 10-15 minutes and at flameout for flavor/aroma, then a generous dry hop. That's a good place to start with what you're trying to do, and then you'll just have to tweak things until you get it where you want it.

When you get it dialed in, send me some!

Back