[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rpint works perfectly even when the logger is installed.The logger worked before and then suddenly started giving problems.
Thanks anyway for the replies.

That's actually good. Debugging the LAMP stack is no fun for anyone.

So looking back at this capture, it seems the cascade of errors starts with a missing icon file.
Who's asking for that? Aside from the Google services generating the plot, there isn't any imagey stuff associated with the original logger files, and I don't think R'Pints uses that file name either.

210406d1405070225-initial-release-raspberrypints-digital-taplist-solution-error2.jpg

Cheers!

The \r at the end of line 103 of the log looks suspicious. Did webgui1.py get edited and a carriage return inadvertently get added, perhaps edited in windows?

Ah - I'm so used to looking at Python error logs I flipped the chronology upside down. I'd love to see another dozen lines above the clip. And that favicon.ico thing still is a mystery - I don't have a file with that name on either of my RPints+BrewPi systems...

Cheers!

Ah - I'm so used to looking at Python error logs I flipped the chronology upside down. I'd love to see another dozen lines above the clip. And that favicon.ico thing still is a mystery - I don't have a file with that name on either of my RPints+BrewPi systems...

Cheers!
Will download your original files again and install them as I changed the temp to ºC.If it works I will go on from there and I WILL make back ups :mad:

Cheers!

I think all browsers these days make a request for a favicon to put in the address bar by default. The favicon.ico not found is a red herring :)

I think all browsers these days make a request for a favicon to put in the address bar by default. The favicon.ico not found is a red herring :)

What he said. Most browsers just look for that file and if it exists it throws a little icon in the address bar and saves it as the icon when you bookmark/favorite the site.
I wouldn't worry about that error.

Getting ready to start building out my keezer and couldn't help but wonder if there is any update on 2.0? Mostly just trying to figure out if I should be allocating part of my budget to some flow meters or if I should just move forward without them :D

Getting ready to start building out my keezer and couldn't help but wonder if there is any update on 2.0? Mostly just trying to figure out if I should be allocating part of my budget to some flow meters or if I should just move forward without them :D

Get it done; there's always time for upgrades and improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

Ah, yes. Now that you mention it I added one to the first web page I ever cobbled together, and when it popped up in the address bar I marveled at the sheer power of my coding prowess...

Cheers! ;)

I think you should go ahead and build the keezer, and get your tap system up and running. If you haven't already done the first part of this raspberry pints project, them complete that next. It never hurts to save money for the added hardware that version 2.0 will use but we still don't know what will be just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

^Agreed^, this is a good time to get basic infrastructure running reliably and get comfortable with supporting it. And there are at least a few additional projects one could integrate once the basic 'Pi platform is up and running. I've found the whole thing addictive and enjoy seeing what others are doing in the same spaces.

With all that is planned for the next release one can assume there'll be widespread chaos ;) which wouldn't be the best time to look for help on "How do I get the wifi to work?"

Cheers!

So I have mine set up with no-ip to be online but now Im wanting to host it on my website instead of just linking to the no-ip address. Is there a way to get it up on my personal website?

So I have mine set up with no-ip to be online but now Im wanting to host it on my website instead of just linking to the no-ip address. Is there a way to get it up on my personal website?

It should be on your website already. The No-IP I believe is just a redirect to point anyone hitting the no-IP web address you created to whatever the IP address of your Pi is on.

Sent from somewhere to someone

You can host the raspberry pints code anywhere you have an apache/php/mysql setup.

You'll loose the ability to add things later like the flow meters and temp monitor.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere, but any thoughts on integrating with brewerydb.com API to pull in commercial beer data?

how about importing beersmith2 files. also could we use some kind of water level sensor or a small scale to monitor the kegs?

I know some of you have this running with the brewpi. Is it best to install rpints before brewpi? I plan on bread boarding it up installing prints then brewpi. Is there a good post on this in this mammoth thread?

yeah. finish up the brewpi install first. then create a folder inside /var/www/ name it whatever you lie. I used 'rpints'.

then using the install directions replace every instance of /var/www/ with /var/www/rpints instead. DONT RUN THE SCRIPT TO EMPTY /var/www/

as long as you install rpints to the new folder it will come up instead by using the new folder instead of just the ip address.

mine is 192.168.1.18/rpints/

I then created a menu page to direct either to rpints or one of my fermenter instances.

menu.jpg

Wbarber all of that has been addressed in the 1200 posts above.

Which is why I asked. I, like most, have a job and what little time I have to myself is either dedicated to brewing or building brewing equipment. I'm glad you took the time to tell me to go back and read through what I can only imagine is about 80% posts about how awesome this project is. Instead of just saying, "hey if you wanna do that, then just do this." I love that your answer to a new user is to go waste about 4 days of my life to end up right where I started. I know that some things are in the works for a future release and since there isn't anywhere else to post feature ideas, I figured I'd do it here. But in the future if you don't have anything constructive to say I'm sure there is a reddit page out there that doesn't have enough trolls in it yet.

how about importing beersmith2 files. also could we use some kind of water level sensor or a small scale to monitor the kegs?

To answer your question(s)

I believe they are working on adding beers using the BeerXML format in a later release. Additionally one of the features they have been working on for version 2 is the use of flowmeters to track keg volumes.

Which is why I asked. I, like most, have a job and what little time I have to myself is either dedicated to brewing or building brewing equipment. I'm glad you took the time to tell me to go back and read through what I can only imagine is about 80% posts about how awesome this project is. Instead of just saying, "hey if you wanna do that, then just do this." I love that your answer to a new user is to go waste about 4 days of my life to end up right where I started. I know that some things are in the works for a future release and since there isn't anywhere else to post feature ideas, I figured I'd do it here. But in the future if you don't have anything constructive to say I'm sure there is a reddit page out there that doesn't have enough trolls in it yet.

Sorry if you took the answer the wrong way.

The answers you want have been beaten to death here and on the rpints website (I believe). There's a group of about 4 of us working on the rpints code for flow meters and other improvements.

Also... the area you are looking for is: http://raspberrypints.com/request-feature/

There you can see what has been requested and voted on by the community.

yeah. finish up the brewpi install first. then create a folder inside /var/www/ name it whatever you lie. I used 'rpints'.

then using the install directions replace every instance of /var/www/ with /var/www/rpints instead. DONT RUN THE SCRIPT TO EMPTY /var/www/

as long as you install rpints to the new folder it will come up instead by using the new folder instead of just the ip address.

mine is 192.168.1.18/rpints/

I then created a menu page to direct either to rpints or one of my fermenter instances.

I'm pretty unintelligent when it comes to these things. I was able to get Raspberry Pints working no problem. Now I want to install Brewpi. I understand how to install it and wire it up, that's not the problem. The part I get lost (and probably a really stupid question) is the actual physical location of the pi itself. My keezer is located in my basement. My fermenting freezer is in my garage on the complete opposite side of my house. If I have the pi hooked up to the arduinos for Brewpi, then how am I to display Raspberry Pints on the other side of my house? I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, unless it's just not doable unless the two freezers are in the same room. Thoughts?

I'm pretty unintelligent when it comes to these things. I was able to get Raspberry Pints working no problem. Now I want to install Brewpi. I understand how to install it and wire it up, that's not the problem. The part I get lost (and probably a really stupid question) is the actual physical location of the pi itself. My keezer is located in my basement. My fermenting freezer is in my garage on the complete opposite side of my house. If I have the pi hooked up to the arduinos for Brewpi, then how am I to display Raspberry Pints on the other side of my house? I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, unless it's just not doable unless the two freezers are in the same room. Thoughts?

Since the raspberry pints hosts a webpage that can be viewed from the same network (or on the internet with noip) you can hook raspberry pints on the same pi in the garage. Then have a tablet, or something else to display the webpage at the keezer. Check the internet, you may be able to find a used tablet/iPad/laptop or something that has a bad battery that you can mount on the wall and keep on AC power to render the page.

I figured that was going to be the case. Problem is, I'm currently displaying Raspberry Pints on an old unused Tv above my keezer wired through HDMI. I already have an old laptop though, maybe I'll just change my display over to that. Long as it looks ok down in my basement. Ha. Thank you for the suggestion. Much appreciated.

You can also get longer hdmi cables or an hdmi over cat-5 extender pretty cheap from monoprice. Or a USB over cat-5 extender and move the entire pie and extend the USB cables. But the easiest way would be like was just said, get an old tablet, or hell, just buy one if the cheap 60-90 dollar android no name tablets off amazon or ebay.

Sorry, 1st post, not sure if anyone already thought using HDMI-CEC. At least for a subset of displays - TVs with CEC support - it's possible with the RPi.

First we need to install libCEC from PulseEight, here is what I did (but there might be easier ways these days)

Code:
 # sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf liblockdev1-dev libudev-dev git libtool pkg-config
 # sudo git clone git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git
 # cd libcec
 # sudo ./bootstrap
 # sudo ./configure --with-rpi-include-path=/opt/vc/include --with-rpi-lib-path=/opt/vc/lib --enable-rpi
 # sudo make
 # sudo make install
 # sudo ldconfig

at this point, libcec along with cec-client should be installed and ready to go.

Now, enable CEC on your HDMI display/TV (sometimes called AnyNet+, EZ-Sync and all sorts of other branded names), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC.

Test with:
Code:
 # cec-client -l

Now you can turn your TV off via
Code:
 # echo “standby 0” | cec-client -s

and turn it back on via
Code:
 # echo "on 0" | cec-client -s

Of course the last one only works if the RPi isn't plugged into the TV's USB as power supply :)

-Th
When I type in the following command next to the $ sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf liblockdev1-dev libudev-dev git libtool pkg-config

I got the following message with a lot of errors and faileds.

Thought I might as well try the second command and I get the message that I was unable to connect with github.com.

Not sure what is going on here.
Any suggestions.

20140801_183452.jpg

Since I was getting error and failed messages I decided to stop that and move on to something else.

I erased the sd card and reloaded it with a fresh copy of files I had on my desk top.

I decided to move on to adding remote access. I have tried adding putty per the instructions here without any success.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-6-using-ssh/enabling-ssh

On the last page there is a link to another page talking about remote SSH. When I type in the command sudo bash I get the following response: root@raspberrypi: home/pi#.
Not sure what to put after the #. I tried pi, but that didn't work.

Then I decided to try VNC from the raspberry pi website.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-raspberry-pi-lesson-7-remote-control-with-vnc

I keep getting the message that it timed out or the host computer refused.
I looked on the VNC website and looked around. I'm typing in the correct LAN with :## afterwards. I made sure of the port number by looking in the router. The external and internal start port are the same number. The external and internal stop port are one number higher. I have tried both of these numbers.

My router is a Netgear DM111PSPv2. The rasppi is set up in the garage through the walls approx 15 ft. Some times I'm able to log into my raspberrypints on the computer using the LAN I set up and other times I'm asked to reload the request.

Is there a better router to use. I have CenturyLink for Internet.
I've been working on this for hours trying to figure it out. It looks like I need a little bit of help.

Thanks...

I don't know how your trying to get ssh running but all you have to do from the raspberry pi is open up terminal and type in raspi-config wait for the menu to laid up and select enable ssh from one of the menus.

To run vnc you have to have it installed. I don't know if you're using vnc or tightvnc. But you run the vnc command once. If you try running it multiple times it will start multiple server instances. In your client you shouldn't be typing in the port number after the ":" what you want to put there is the instance number.

I'm using tightvnc so from terminal I would run the command "tightvncserver"

Then from my client I enter the IP address followed by the server instance like this
"192.168.1.18:1"

And then enter the password at the prompt.

I don't know how your trying to get ssh running but all you have to do from the raspberry pi is open up terminal and type in raspi-config wait for the menu to laid up and select enable ssh from one of the menus.

To run vnc you have to have it installed. I don't know if you're using vnc or tightvnc. But you run the vnc command once. If you try running it multiple times it will start multiple server instances. In your client you shouldn't be typing in the port number after the ":" what you want to put there is the instance number.

I'm using tightvnc so from terminal I would run the command "tightvncserver"

Then from my client I enter the IP address followed by the server instance like this
"192.168.1.18:1"

And then enter the password at the prompt.

Thanks for the reply. Things were erratic last night with me being able to just put the IP address of the pi in the browser line and get connected. This morning it seems to be more stable.

I have putty installed on both a desk top and laptop and this morning I'm able to get connected to the pi with both of them.

With those sessions closed out (I only opened up one session at a time from the different computers). I try and open up a session using VNC. I downloaded tightvncserver and followed the directions from Adafruit here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-raspberry-pi-lesson-7-remote-control-with-vnc/installing-vnc

Reading through the instructions with fresh eyes and not sitting in a 100 F garage. I see that I'm supposed to type in "vncserver :1" in a command line on the pi and then go to the other computer and run the VNC Viewer.

And it works. When all else fails read and follow the directions carefully.

Now on to installing the CEC library.

Thanks again.

The HDMI video interface and underlying driver on the 'Pi seem unable to achieve a true lower power display state on their own. One can blank the screen but the backlight will remain on. It's possible CEC can be used with a compatible display to turn the display off when nobody is around and turn it back on when someone comes within viewing range. I tried going that route but couldn't get the display to turn back on once I had used CEC to turn it off...[edit] so I'm using just the blank screen when in "standby"...

Cheers!

Sorry, 1st post, not sure if anyone already thought using HDMI-CEC. At least for a subset of displays - TVs with CEC support - it's possible with the RPi.

First we need to install libCEC from PulseEight, here is what I did (but there might be easier ways these days)

Code:
 # sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf liblockdev1-dev libudev-dev git libtool pkg-config
 # sudo git clone git://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec.git
 # cd libcec
 # sudo ./bootstrap
 # sudo ./configure --with-rpi-include-path=/opt/vc/include --with-rpi-lib-path=/opt/vc/lib --enable-rpi
 # sudo make
 # sudo make install
 # sudo ldconfig

at this point, libcec along with cec-client should be installed and ready to go.

Now, enable CEC on your HDMI display/TV (sometimes called AnyNet+, EZ-Sync and all sorts of other branded names), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC.

Test with:
Code:
 # cec-client -l

Now you can turn your TV off via
Code:
 # echo “standby 0” | cec-client -s

and turn it back on via
Code:
 # echo "on 0" | cec-client -s

Of course the last one only works if the RPi isn't plugged into the TV's USB as power supply :)

-Th

My WiFi connection is a lot better than it was the other day. I was able to follow these commands and install this on my RaspberryPints from my laptop in the comfort of my kitchen using Putty.

Then I set up AnyNet+ on the TV and selected the Raspberry. I'm using a new Samsung TV.

When I put in the command echo “standby 0” | cec-client -s the TV turns off.

When I put in the command echo "on 0" | cec-client -s the TV turns back on. It takes approx 9 seconds to get to the tap list view.

I turned the TV off with the remote and then turned it back on using the above command from the command prompt on the laptop.

I'm not a computer or coding person, so I would think all I have to do is put the above two codes in. One when the PIR does not sense any motion for a specified time it would run the first code and turn the TV off. Then when the PIR senses motion it would run the second code and turn the TV back on.

[...]
I'm not a computer or coding person, so I would think all I have to do is put the above two codes in. One when the PIR does not sense any motion for a specified time it would run the first code and turn the TV off. Then when the PIR senses motion it would run the second code and turn the TV back on.

Yes, if your monitor responds correctly, that's all you'd need to do.

The only CEC-capable display I tried it with would fully power-off with the "standby" command, then take a good 15 seconds to come back to life with the "on" command - but the input always goes to the ATSC tuner instead of the particular HDMI port connected to the 'Pi. I had to manually toggle the tv input back to the 'Pi.

I suspect there's a CEC command I could send that would switch the tv to the proper input, but I lost interest as waiting that long for the screen to appear misses the point of the motion sensor. I could just turn on the display manually while standing at the keezer...

Cheers!

day_trippr thanks for your help on getting to where I'm at now and thanks for posting this add on at post #796.

I ran both the on and off commands and after the command it looks like there are approx. 80 scripts/lines of code that go into executing either one. No wonder it takes so long to power back up to the tap list.

My sensors should be coming sometime this week, so I have time to research what and where to put the codes into the pi.

I have a few old Wyse thinclients (a very small computer) that still work and thought I would use one of them instead of purchasing a pi. It took a while to get Linux installed (another story) but I finally settled on Debian 7.0.6 Wheezy. However, most any other Linux distribution should work just as well.

You can learn about Debian Wheezy here. https://www.debian.org/

Once at the desktop I loaded XAMPP. This is an open source package that installs Apache, MySQL, PHP, and Perl. The installation and configuration are both straight forward and only take 10-15 minutes.

You can get XAMPP here. https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html

Once this was done I picked up at step 6 (http://raspberrypints.com/byo/step-6-rpints-intallation/) of the BYO instructions and was up and running in a few more minutes. The only change I had to make was to use a different webhost folder. XAMPP defaults to using /opt/lamp/htdocs not /var/www. I actually placed the files in /opt/lamp/htdocs/Rpints skipping the deletion of the default index.html file.

Now to mount the monitor and thinclient near the keezer.

Thanks for a wonderful application. :rockin:

If you guys find a solid way to get a motion detector setup with rpints PLEASE make a write up on it and I will test it step by step and if it works I will make a new section on our website called user addons and maybe develop packages users can install to add these functionalities!!

That's been done already, and it's in this thread :D

I've been running my PIR sensor scripts for months on both my keezer 'Pi and my development 'Pi to put their respective displays to sleep and back and they've been rock solid...

Cheers!

Back