Imperial red hop bursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrotpoet

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an Imperial Red with a big malt profile - Maris otter, Munich, crystal 120 and a touch of chocolate malt and I'm wondering what hop combo for hop bursting would give me the nicest hop profile and balance for all the malt. I was thinking Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus but I'm wondering if that would be too dank and piney. any combo suggestions out there?

I'm fond of the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot hop profile. Think Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade. If done right it gives a nice earthy yet smooth hop flavor and aroma. I don't think you can go wrong with Maris Otter in about any configuration. I really like that malt. I'm doing a Red Barleywine now using a good portion of Munich malt mixed with domestic 2-row. I'll let you know how it turns out in the fall. Barleywines take a long long time to mature to their peak and it isn't worth wasting the beer to try it early.

Back