I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot! Beerthirty just turned gold! Congrats man.

If you boil past the 8 gallon mark, the IBU will... sort of go up. It will shift the later hops from aroma/flavor into bittering. So you'll get a lot of bittering compounds without the aroma compounds.

You could also boil for an extra hour BEFORE starting your hop schedule - this will give high OG but normal IBUs.

hop_utilization.jpg

helps to clarify what I'm saying. But yes, if you boil your 15-minute hop addition for 60-minutes, you'll get more IBUs out of that hop addition, and less flavor.

...after entering the recipe into beersmith, scaling to fit my 15 gallon rig and reading through 433 posts this is what I came up with....

Batch Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.38 gal
Estimated OG: 1.119 SG
Estimated Color: 19.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
32.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.43 %
2.78 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.16 %
1.54 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.97 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.29 %

The scaling looks fine. How big is your mash tun? :D

I wouldn't worry about the exacts on those partial hops amounts. Round em up or down.
37 pounds of grain....:ban:

50 quart tun and boil kettle. I played with beersmith till it stopped kicking out the overmash tun ewarning

At 12.5 gallons for a tun...still sounds like that thing will be pretty crowded. My 10-gallon gets unmanageable at around 24-25 pounds...especially if I've added rice hulls (which I'd recommend with a huge grain bill).

As for the hops, when originally entered in BS I had like 50 IBU no matter what scale I used. So I just started increasing amounts to get the 99.

I know we have discussed this before, but I want to bring it up again. No matter what scale you use in Beersmith, you get nowhere near the pastors IBU rating with that amount of hops. Are the other BS users here increasing their hop levels until they reach the 90's, or are they thinking that pastor's levels are off? (watching for lighting bolts:eek:)

I'd do a 5-gal net batch, and set BeerSmith/ProMash/whatever to a 150 or 180 minute boil. That should, then, give you the appropriate sparge volumes.

@ Couevas, I'm adding hops till I get to 99 IBU. Rock out with my male rooster out.

well looks like I have decided on a 6 gallon batch(30 lbs of grain including hulls) to fit my mash tun. I'm gonna do yuri's thunderstuck pumpkin Thursday and when thats out of the primary use the cake for the barleywine. I'm thinkin(not my strong suit) after several months of conditioning there won't be any noticeable spice flavors left especially with 99 IBU. if there is my apologies to the tasters:D. then again since the booze is already flowing I might decide against it tomorrow.

beerthirty, I think maybe the hops aren't increasing much because beersmith is assuming you're going to put the sugar in right away. The thicker the wort the less utilization you get. And yea, it does seem like you're adding a lot of hops in your recipe.

beerthirty, I think maybe the hops aren't increasing much because beersmith is assuming you're going to put the sugar in right away. The thicker the wort the less utilization you get. And yea, it does seem like you're adding a lot of hops in your recipe.

You are exactly right!!!
I don't know why I didn't think of that before. If you change the sugar properties from sugar to extract, it will let you do a late extract addition (apparently you can't do a late sugar addition in Beersmith). This increases the IBU's very significantly.:rockin:

Chriso-----if you are doing late sugar, watch out for this!

I had issues with IBU's on another recipe in BS.. I created a new copy (exactly the same) and problems were gone. May try that.
I get 90 IBU's with sugar in boil, and 94 with sugar added after the boil.
Trying to figure out how you guys post the BS info here..

If you are in browser mode, and click once on the recipe, the bottom pane displays the recipe in printed form.

Highlight, right click, copy. (Ctrl-C does NOT work on this one)

then paste and clean up.

OR you can export to a TXT file, and deal with it that way.

Evil and Couavas, switched the sugar to extract type and the IBU changed a little but not much. I've got about 1 oz of hops to a gallon of beer. anyone else running this ratio? I dont want a beer so bitter no one can drink. But on the other hand that is only twice what SA uses according to the commercials(no I don't like Boston lager).
remy, I tired that even closed down beersmith and reopened, no change.
I'm still learning beersmith and the different mash tech. I'm using single infusion medium body batch sparge. drain tun and two equal sparges. I'm not setup to fly sparge and have done most of my recipes with this mash setup. should I be using another. I know this isn't the place for the noob questions, but I feel these are big beer specific.

so what is the IBU target here 90 or 99

Honestly, when IBUs get that high I don't think it'll make that much of a difference. The threshold of human taste for hops is supposed to be around 100 IBUs, so I say go with the cheaper option :p

I still haven't seen a PM or extract recipe for this. Did I miss it, or has it been posted yet?

here's what Beersmith kicked out for an Extract with steeping grains:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 09-09-09 Barleywine (Extract Version)
Brewer: Bier
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Barleywine
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 8.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.119 SG
Estimated Color: 16.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 99.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 81.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.50%] (90 min) Hops 67.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (25 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (15 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1.50 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 9.1 %

Whew! $60 of DME eh? Almost makes it worth buying a bulk 40lb box!

I know my grain bill will be close to $40 just in base grain. :eek:

Awesome, thanks BM. The last time I did a big extract beer the gravity didn't drop nearly as much as I had hoped/planned (even using a huge starter, and repitching champagne yeast), so I'm thinking I'll modify the above recipe, and use slightly less extract and more table sugar (maybe 12 lbs DME, 2.5 lbs sugar) to help get the FG closer to expected.

I plan to use the hops I have on hand, so I'll be subbing the Magnum for Pac Gem, and subbing Centennial for the Cascade. I'll do the boil using only 2.5 lbs of DME (I'm limited to about a 2.5 gallon boil), and the sugar and other 10 lbs of DME (holy crap thats a ton of extract) will be added with about 10 min left in the boil.

Whoa. Attempting this with a 2.5 gal boil is ... impressively ballsy.

You might consider making two 2.5 gal batches and combining them in the fermenter. Each would be about 2 gal plus top-up water.

I'm no extract expert, maybe someone who's more familiar can help figure out how to manage this. Adding 10 lbs of DME to a 2.5 gallon pot just worries me!!!!! It would be syrup! Or sludge!

When I did my RIS I used 12 lbs LME and I added all of it at the beginning of the (2.5 gal) boil, and it came out great. I think that I can make this work using a partial boil, especially if I do late addition. But that being said I may take your suggestion and do 2 back to back boils. I'll have to think about it.

Just tryin' to make the brewday less stressful (even if it takes longer on the clock)... I have a hard time stirring ANY DME into wort, much less 10 lbs of it! :)

I'm trying to visualize 10 lbs of DME fitting, dry, still in the bag, into a 2.5 gallon pot, much less with water in it. I've gotten spoiled with my big rig!

Chriso (or anyone else), let me bounce a couple ideas off you.

I still need to pay my membership but I'm thinking about this and I was wanting to do a Fat Tire clone this month using YooperBrews recipe with actual Fat Tire Ale yeast. Think it would be all right to pitch the Barleywine on this yeast cake instead of 1056?

Second thought is when I do the Barleywine I thought I'd partigyle a smaller beer as well. Specifically I was thinking of a Vanilla Bean Porter and I would just steep the other speciality grains in a separate pan while the Barleywine mash was working then add to the third runnings of the mash as if I were doing an extract with specialty grains batch only the third runnings take the place of the DME.

A Barleywine on a Fat Tire Ale yeast cake would be very interesting! I'd surely enjoy a taste of that! I plan to use WLP 862 Cry Havoc instead of 1056. I say give it a try!

Unfortunately I'm pretty clueless about partigyle brewing. My only attempt was a severely bad dumper. Maybe someone else can jump in with this one! :)

When is everyone starting their actual Barley Wine brew? Or is it just as long as it's on/before 9-09-08? I ask because I may have to bow out of the swap due to baby being due any day now (officially 12 more days). I probably won't be able to brew it, but maybe! So I don't wanna bow out until the last minute that I can with still keeping good graces for future swaps.

IP, you could probably even brew mid-October if your time allows at that point. I know things'll be busy with the kiddo, we're a flexible bunch. The idea is just to age it to its prime before we all taste it. The difference between 11 months and 12 months will be far more subtle than, say, between 6 months and 12 months. BierMuncher is head honcho on this, so I bow to his judgement, but I think any time within about ~5 weeks (+ or -) of 9/9/08 is acceptable. I know I plan to brew sometime between 9/1 - 9/15. Probably not on 9/9 though since it's a Tuesday and I'll be at work all day.

Forrest PM'd me a few weeks back and had someone at his shop working up a recipe list...but I've not heard anything since. Maybe you could drop him an email and see if he's still interested in "kitting up" this recipe. I'll keep PM'ing him on this end.

Anyone using Maris Otter here?

Its the only pale malt I have, so Yes.

My Chinook, Centennial and Cascades hops are looking great and should be ready for harvesting soon. Some of that harvest will be going in the kettle for this beer. Should help keep the cost under control for this relative hop bomb.

Craig

When is everyone starting their actual Barley Wine brew? Or is it just as long as it's on/before 9-09-08?

I am brewing this puppy tonight.
Gonna be a late night, but wife and daughter are out of town and it is a little cooler here when the sun goes down (by a little cooler, I mean 95 instead of 110);)

I will report tomorrow as to how it goes. I am hoping it will not turn into too long of a boil. No DME baby!!!:rockin:

This is the official thread.

Are you looking for the recipe?
Look here

BM,
The link to the recipe and suggestions is no longer in your sig. Did you remove this on purpose?

Its the only pale malt I have, so Yes.

My Chinook, Centennial and Cascades hops are looking great and should be ready for harvesting soon. Some of that harvest will be going in the kettle for this beer. Should help keep the cost under control for this relative hop bomb.

Craig

Sounds good. I like Chinook in American Barleywine. Old Numbskull comes to mind.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

12 gallons to boil down!!!:mad:
looks like at least a 5 hour boil.....unless my clip on fan helps

Back