I'm a DIY'er and I Hate Stickers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendBrewer

Reaction score
If you do too, then you understand. Why is the best freaking glue in the world used on the damn little stickers?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

There. I shared.

Because they like to piss people off that want to remove the stickers...

How about the ones that use glue that doesn't hold them in place really well, but lets them slide around leaving a sticky mess in their wake? WTF is up with that? Then you touch where the sticker has been and you have a hand full of glue...

This is one the reasons to have both goo gone and denatured alcohol on hand at all times... Between the two of those, there's almost no glue residue that can't be removed. :rockin:

Bar codes and Manufacturers labels. All these little pieces and fittings and every one of them has a sticker, in the wrong place, held on with Super Glue it seems.

"Because I kissed a girl and I liked it"

For stickers on fittings I always used denatured alchohol or goo gone. Both worked really well. Xylol works even better.

Haha yeah both suck. The ones that I could never figure out is the price/bar code stickers placed directly on products (books and the cork side of a ruler as my latest examples) that are pretty much impossible to remove and leave either sticky mess or that paper remnant and glue layer. In most cases you can't remove it entirely without damaging the item or making a mess. Oh and of course they get put right where they are the most noticeable or impact the use of the product the most.

Bar codes and Manufacturers labels. All these little pieces and fittings and every one of them has a sticker, in the wrong place, held on with Super Glue it seems.

Oh, ok. I understand now. That is an easy one. It's cuz if they didn't all the bar codes would fall off and you would be spending your life in the checkout lane while the store clerks looked up the prices of everything you were trying to buy.

Yeah I get that but when I buy 20 of the things only one needs to have a sticker on it. I am building an intricate watering system for the garden and I swear I am spending more time removing stickers than I am putting the fittings together.

That's why I like Ace Hardware; they've got to stamping bar codes on a lot of their smaller items, or just ask me how much they are a piece when I go to the register.

Is this system above or below ground? Copper or PVC? If copper, just burn them suckers off. If PVC, just let nature remove the labels. Eventually they'll fall off on their own. If it's in the ground, then just F it and not bother... I thought this was for something you'd be right in front of often enough for it to matter... For pipe couplings, fittings, etc, removing the labels is more than a little anal...

I hate them especially on copper stuff, I know all you have to do is burn them off, but then the fitting's all friggin' burning hot, and yes I know you can just give it a bath, and then you have to dry it, who wants to go through all of that for a simple little insignificant 1/2" sweat fitting?

I've had this burning in me for a while now...

(that's what she said)

Had to beat someone to it.

Burn them off when you're soldering the fitting to pipe... :D Just align the sticker with where you intend to heat and you're done... Or, just turn the fitting to that the sticker (what will be left of it) won't be seen... Issue solved.. If it really bothers you, go back with a strip of sandpaper and hit it with that... Shine the fitting as you remove the last of the label...

Personally, it's not worth it to me to even worry about. IF I'm going to see the fitting time and again, up close and personal, then I might pull the lable off first. If not, then F it and let it fall off on it's own... I suppose a hit from the heat gun would soften the glue up enough for the label to just fall off too, if you wanted to go the no flame route...

WD40 works wonders. I use it to remove labels and stickers from beer bottles and wine bottles. You just need to rewash/sanitize the items afterwards.

Going to be using goo gone on some Sanke kegs over the next few days... Hope I have enough of it. If not, I'll try my denatured alcohol on them... Just want to get all the stickers, and glue residue off of the four of them...

Oh, ok. I understand now. That is an easy one. It's cuz if they didn't all the bar codes would fall off and you would be spending your life in the checkout lane while the store clerks looked up the prices of everything you were trying to buy.

No, they are more worried that someone will pull the bar code from a $1 item and stick it to a $5 item and the clerk at the checkout won't notice.

In other words they use strong glue because some people are jerks.

I was echoing the title of this thread yesterday as I removed (with knife and sandpaper) bar code stickers from some red oak boards yesterday.

Back