Any DIY'ers know an easy way to make a Damper for cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
ive got a side x side fridge build that was working pretty well in terms of ferment temps. after running it for a while i'm realizing its giving me issues with crash cooling.

in order to stop the ferm side from freezing, i had to seal up all air passages from freezer side. the only air travel is via the fan i put in where the old upper damper was located. but that makes it hard to get much lower than about 40F. not horrible for cold crashing, but not really cold enough given i make alot of lagers.

so in order to get it down colder, i have to re-open some of the vents toward the freezer side i had originally blocked off. but it took the beer down to 22F!! ....kind of overkill. it didnt freeze the beer, but that seems a bit crazy to me. for all i know it might have kept getting colder if i hadnt sealed the vents to the freezer back up. and since i like to let the lagers sit near freezing for a while, id rather not have to constantly be opening/closing the vents to prevent dips in temp down to freezing.

so i've come to believe that the only way i can limit this problem is by going back to the fridge's "original" design- a system that uses dampers to seal off airflow. unfortunately i tossed the fridge's original damper like a dummy, and i have no desire to spend $100 on an OEM type replacement.

what i'm hoping to do is build two dampers for incoming/return air flow to freezer. but the only small devices i have been able to find that would work mechanically are expensive actuators, ($40+) or something like a "long throw" solenoid with maybe an inch or so of travel.

so there we are. any of you tinkerers and DIY'ers out there know what i can use for the damper motors without spending ton of cash? needs to be small, 12/24v dc, etc.

If the actually vents are very lightwieght plastic and you don't mind some trial and error; You could try a vintage style bi-metal coilspring thermostat and replace the mercury bulb with an arm to open and close. I tired something similar with a cardboard box, popsicle sticks and an old Honeywell thermostat when I was a kid... one of these:
Thermostat_Honeywell562-DFcs.jpg

Here's the site I stole the image from:
https://inspectapedia.com/heat/Heat-Anticipator-Operation.php

interesting. but seems a bit overly complicated to start diving into. looking something that's more "purpose-built" like a solenoid/actuator that just moves an arm back and forth, some sort of damper motor with a set throw/return length of travel, etc .

I don’t but I might be able to track one down. Honestly I don’t think I need it though. The OEM damper is really just two flat pieces of plastic as a vertical grill and damper plate. (this is the same style/design)

74714.jpg

I figured I’d buy 1/8th plastic and router some 1/2” grill openings onto the two pieces so they offset. Then just need to get a frame to hold them and an actuator or a solenoid to push/pull the upper plate so it slides over the lower fixed plate into position to make it open/close.

i also noticed the round vent/dampers on my bbq do the same thing, but I worry it’ll take a lot more fiddling to get it working nice and tight considering the motion wouldn’t be straight and linear like a solenoid or actuator makes, but curving. (The bbq vents are round)
img_7743.jpg

Last edited:
I'd just use a lightweight swinging door and a fan.
Tried that. sorta works. Would need to find some sort of very light weight hinge mechanism so I can put lightweight flap/door in place. And probably more powerful fan to blow it open after it gets frozen shut on the freezer side.
thought about hvac dampers but couldn’t find anything less than like 6”. Looked at dryer vents but the designs I found were problematic.

Back