I ran out of CaraPils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McboBrewer

Reaction score
Hi, today I'm going to brew my standard IPA which grain bill is:

9 lbs. Pale 2-Row (US)
1 lb. Vienna
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs. Crystal 60

for 5GL

I now notice I ran out of vienna a carapils, I just have 2 row, crystal 60, 90 and 120.

Any suggestion on how to help the body of the beer with another ingredient? Maybe something you can find in the kitchen?

Thanks..

I'd just go 9.5# 2row, 2# C60. Color and flavor will be a little different, but body should be fine. I bet it will be very close and almost unnoticeable in an IPA...

Mash a little warmer?

I make lots of IPAs and the grain bill is always some combination of base grain and crystal 40 or 60 and nothing else. Give it a try - might turn put pretty good.

You don't need to cook most oatmeal. Unless it's super thick stuff, and likely to be partially or just ungelatinized, just throw it in the mash.

You can also mash 2F higher as a "sub" for the carapils. My gut tells me there's no way you're noticing a half pound of vienna anyway, so I'd just replace that with your base malt.

Experiment if you like, but there's probably a reason there's no oatmeal IPAs on the shelves at the store...

Hi brewers, thanks to all for your reply, all very helpful.
I bet you're right I won't notice the difference if I don't use vienna and cara, also, mash a little higher is great, but the idea of using oatmeal in a IPA have intrigued me a lot, and I pretend to do it, I have a pound of oat flakes right here in my kitchen and think I will put some of that in the mash, How much will you use?

I mash @ 152F on this recipe, I think this time will be 155F.

Once again, thanks a lot

Hi brewers, thanks to all for your reply, all very helpful.
I bet you're right I won't notice the difference if I don't use vienna and cara, also, mash a little higher is great, but the idea of using oatmeal in a IPA have intrigued me a lot, and I pretend to do it, I have a pound of oat flakes right here in my kitchen and think I will put some of that in the mash, How much will you use?

I mash @ 152F on this recipe, I think this time will be 155F.

Once again, thanks a lot

Remember that oats provide an oiliness to the beer, in a "slick" mouthfeel. They don't give body or anything like that.

If you want a sub for carapils, wheat malt would provide mouthfeel and body. But you don't really need it- crystal malt is the same thing, and you have some in the recipe already. Hops also help with head retention. I never use carapils in my IPAs or APAs.

For a sub for Vienna malt, you could lightly toast some regular base malt (the two-row) and that would give a warm toasty finish to the beer. It's not a perfect sub for Vienna, but it would be pretty close if you're out of Vienna.

Back