I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's skeeter pee? Seriously. Ive heard of it a few tines. Never looked for the recipe

My big addition to the toolbox is a Dewalt cordless 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact driver. Got a say im pretty happy with both. The impact driver seems to have plenty of torque for me. The drill has a brake on it. I dont know why? Damn thing stops so suddenly the collar spins clockwise and the bit falls out. I dont get it.

Skeeter pee is, essentially, a Lemon Wine.

I have cordless drills that do the same thing. Hate it.

Hey Dan!

skeeter pee is a hard lemonade. Apparently, lemons pose a bit of a challenge to get fermenting. What do you use an impact driver for (in general)?

Impact driver is for driving screws without risk, or with limited risk, of stripping the head. Allows you to keep your drill for just that.

What? :confused: No, I "dig" the boys abstract figurine. I'd want to preserve it.

Just messin' with you. Someone has to dig the clay out there though. It could have been you for all I know:D

What's skeeter pee? Seriously. Ive heard of it a few tines. Never looked for the recipe

My big addition to the toolbox is a Dewalt cordless 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact driver. Got a say im pretty happy with both. The impact driver seems to have plenty of torque for me. The drill has a brake on it. I dont know why? Damn thing stops so suddenly the collar spins clockwise and the bit falls out. I dont get it.

What do i use amn impact driver for in general?

Things i dont need one for probably. Mostly i use it to drive small machine screws, deck nails, and other things that dont really need the hi torque. Im a kid in a candyshop or more like Tim Allen in, ToolTime - the Benford 2000-whatever. More horse power,ore torque, more speed, more whatever...must be better
Truth be told. So far my semi expensive hi-torque impact driver and 1/2" drill are overkill. I truly like the LED light each shines down on the work (trigger activated) and the quickness of bit changes, and the batteries are pretty dang strong and long lasting. ( sidenote- my old drill's batteries lasted for maybe 30 minutes Overall use. So i asked guys how ling there cordless batteries last. Answer, pretty long. Meaning. Long enough you stop worrying how long they last

I resisted impact drivers when I first started seeing them. I had a good cordless drill that did everything I needed and I used it nearly every day. My brother had an impact driver and we were driving some 8" wood lags like these:

11124606.jpg

The impact driver would just about pull the head of the screw through a 2x4 if you pulled the trigger long enough. I was impressed. I use my impact for driving just about every screw now. It is even nice for delicate work. I really don't know what I would do without it.

Our Makita's have the same loose chuck issue. If you have a big 4-in hole-saw or something in there the brake is a good safety feature. The chucks could be improved though (can't count how many times bits have fallen out). The LED light is just pure genius. Good tools are never overkill IMO.

More power!

tim-tool-man-taylor_opt.jpg

Interesting, I'm in the market for a new drill. My regular has s#!t a brick, well at least it's batteries and they are too heavy and expensive to replace.
I need something to do the standard driving screws around the house from time to time as well as some projects I'd like to actually get to and of course it has to be able to power my grain mill.
Any suggestions?

Interesting, I'm in the market for a new drill. My regular has s#!t a brick, well at least it's batteries and they are too heavy and expensive to replace.
I need something to do the standard driving screws around the house from time to time as well as some projects I'd like to actually get to and of course it has to be able to power my grain mill.
Any suggestions?

For around the house I have a black & Decker driver that I have had for what seems like forever and has never failed me I use it for just about everything including powering my grain mill. Plus it's cheap. No doubt there are better out there but I've had dewalts and milwaukee quit on me but this black & Decker has outlived them so far.

I have a black n decker firestorm currently and that thing is heavy. Plus the battery packs are useless so it's a big paperweight. Had a Dewalt before that worked the hell out of it, ground out spot welds to fix a wrecked car at one point.
Looking for something light with a 1/2" chuck and doesn't break an already broken bank.

I will admit that I actually have nothing bad to say about my Ryobi drill. Got one of the kits with a regular drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw and a flashlight several years ago. One of the batteries decided to mess the bed, but everything else is running smoothly. Since the batteries sucked I got a kit containing a new drill and an impact drill (for about the cost of buying the two lithium batteries and charger separately) and all is well. I still use the old drill for milling grains. It has held up better than the crapsman 1/2 HP corded drill I had bought and burned up for milling.

For milling grain, you want a low RPM drill. I use a Milwaukee right angle 300rpm I think. I like the right angle because I can rig it up with a few buckets, lock the trigger and it's hands free so I can feed the hopper. Running a high speed drill on low speed with a heavy load will eventually burn things up. This is $50 at harbor freight and would probably last a lifetime as a dedicated mill motor:

image_11827.jpg

Any suggestions?

My last few kits have been Makita. They have lasted years with heavy use. The batteries hold up. Charging time is quick. My current kit (charger, two batteries, 1/2 inch drill and impact driver) is going on three years old now. Quality by manufacturer changes over time. We started with Panasonic then swore by Bosch and now I wouldn't want either.

You mention the low rpm, that's why I kept the firestorm cause it has high torque low speed/high speed switch. Even though it is heavy as hell. I could drill if I wanted and switch to low speed for milling grain.

Is the makita the lithium ion or cadmium battery packs?

You mention the low rpm, that's why I kept the firestorm cause it has high torque low speed/high speed switch. Even though it is heavy as hell. I could drill if I wanted and switch to low speed for milling grain.

Is the makita the lithium ion or cadmium battery packs?

The switch probably makes all the difference. A variable speed trigger switch will not hold up to low speed heavy loads.

Mine is lithium ion. Never had cadmium yet.

Yeah relying on holding a trigger halfway sounds like a fail all around.
You know of any drill on the market with the lithium that has a high/low speed switch that isn't stupid expensive? And has a 1/2 in chuck..

Yeah that's the problem I seem to be having. Would really like to just have one to do everything like before instead of multiple for every purpose. Dammit if replacement packs weren't like the cost of a new drill. Back to the mead...

Working the night shift in the oilfield, but it looks like it might be my last. The company we are doong work for isn't flowing anymore wells for the rest of the year unless oil price goes up. After this shift we are done at this pad and there might not be any more work for us to go to :(

Seems like barrels of oil are going up a dollar a day here lately. I dont want to pay outrageous amounts for a gallon of gas but hope you keep your job. Catch 22. The rich oil warlords that play around with our money are greedy bastidges. Probably never change. Greed seems to be the motivating factor. Go figure

Cheers!

I just hit 51 a few weeks ago. Up until late 2009 back to 1983 id been serving in the Navy. It worked out pretty well. After the Navy I must have had a bunch of career charismatic momentum... Or something like that [emoji1].

Three different employers in the first 4 years after transferring to the Navy Fleet Reserve. Never was i fired, it's just the next empoyer offered a better deal. I got to say they all paid a heck of a lot better than my most recent one. Im not sure money is the key rambling point here but an easy one to get hung up on.

So, now at this new job in Hawaii when i work overtime i make almost as much as i did per hour in my last job, which i quit in pursuit of life and happiness.

Was it worth it? Im thinking maybe yes! Ive been working harder these last few months than i have in years, i find more job satisfaction too. Luckily overtime is filling in gaps.

Im dog tired at the end of each day but its a good feeling.

Cheers my friends

Cheers!

I just hit 51 a few weeks ago. Up until late 2009 back to 1983 id been serving in the Navy. It worked out pretty well. After the Navy I must have had a bunch of career charismatic momentum... Or something like that [emoji1].

Three different employers in the first 4 years after transferring to the Navy Fleet Reserve. Never was i fired, it's just the next empoyer offered a better deal. I got to say they all paid a heck of a lot better than my most recent one. Im not sure money is the key rambling point here but an easy one to get hung up on.

So, now at this new job in Hawaii when i work overtime i make almost as much as i did per hour in my last job, which i quit in pursuit of life and happiness.

Was it worth it? Im thinking maybe yes! Ive been working harder these last few months than i have in years, i find more job satisfaction too. Luckily overtime is filling in gaps.

Im dog tired at the end of each day but its a good feeling.

Cheers my friends

You sound happy Dan. Sounds like you made the right choice after all:mug:

Hey, Late Nighters. It's been while since I posted here. I am glad to see things are going well for you Dan.

Tough weekend for the CGVT pocketbook this weekend. My oldest son turned 18 yesterday, my wife's birthday is tomorrow and or course, Mothers Day is Sunday.

Tough weekend for the CGVT pocketbook this weekend. My oldest son turned 18 yesterday, my wife's birthday is tomorrow and or course, Mothers Day is Sunday.

Ugh, tell me about it.

I finally get expenses paid off for my investment home to where I can collect a real income check and then realize tags are due for vehicles, all three of them. And then, oh joy, it's time to pay childcare deposits to secure spots for next year.

Well, at least there isn't much to keep track of in the bank this pay period. :mad:

Hey late nighters! I need to do some scrolling back to see what's up. Quick glance I see good news from Dan. Like that. Our fest went amazing. 1650 people drinking 11 am to 9 pm (Plus night before) and not one member needed to see the EMT. Success.

Tags all seem to come due around my house about the same time too and i always act suprised. I think its one of those necessary evils my mind blanks out each year. When i moved back to Hawaii my wife's car was seven months overdue! I asked her why? She said she didnt realize they were kaput. Luckily hawaii doesnt charge a late fee and the cops arent obsessed with ticketing expired tags. But im paying nearly twice the price for regitration than even California charged for the same vehicle. No smog check though here in the land of breezes and bluesky. A ridiculous annual safety inspection though. Price 20 dollars. But what is the need for a safety inspection? Just another archaic requirement that was pobanly prompted by age old cars on the island. Peple here, these days drive newer cars because even though this this is an island - we spend a lot, a really lot of time in our cars because of terrible traffic.

....and since i got started on one of Hawaii's favorite subjects; its not hula or canned spam by the way - it's TRAFFIC. You havent truly experienced Oahu Hawaii till you spend 4 -8 hours going 15 miles. That was an extreme case though. How anout an average morning commute of 60 minutes to go 15 miles? Thats actualy 50 minutes to go the first 10 and 10 mins for the next 5. I miss driving 80-85 mph for hours on the CA 99. It has traffic too. At times. Southern CA. has congested traffic like Hawaii but at least you can get away from it. Drive all day long and not see the same place twice.

Can anybody say island fever? ��

Hey late nighters! I need to do some scrolling back to see what's up. Quick glance I see good news from Dan. Like that. Our fest went amazing. 1650 people drinking 11 am to 9 pm (Plus night before) and not one member needed to see the EMT. Success.

Thanks LRB☺️!

Great to here your fest was a huge success. Sounds like a great time was had by all!

Cheers! ��

Another night getting this Reinstone brewery off the ground. How is everyone? Love y all

CA 91 and 15 interchange is under construction. Fairly sure the sign said until 2038. I'll trade you Dan. At the end of the day you are in HI.

I do realize im whining a bit. Ca traffic is nuts too. I just miss the opportunity to drive far and fast! ☺️

Hey all. I had the good fortune to win a March pump and ultimate sparge arm. I need to add Stainless Steel disconnects and hoses. I'm thinking male on the equipment female on the hoses. Does this seem standard? I know it'll work either way but I'd like it to work on my club's various rigs if there is a standard way.

Hey all. I had the good fortune to win a March pump and ultimate sparge arm. I need to add Stainless Steel disconnects and hoses. I'm thinking male on the equipment female on the hoses. Does this seem standard? I know it'll work either way but I'd like it to work on my club's various rigs if there is a standard way.

I went with male camlocks on the vessels. Not sure if it is standard but it seems right to me. Congrats on the win. I had a good feeling this time but nothing again. Not like I NEED anything anyway.

Actually completely finished a small soap display shelf tonight. Feels good to be completely done with a project (I do have two more to build though). The big cabinet should have the final coats of finish and be assembled by the weekend. I will feel much better when that is done.

Here is the little shelf made entirely of recylcled crate lumber from a grocery store sign...explains the dings, nicks and knots. I put it together with pocket screws...solid as a rock.

thumb2_img_20150512_213509_061-65573.jpg

Back