I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Test night tonight. So I just babysit for 3 hours but at least I don't have to speak.

Feeling better with the rest? Hope so.

What a busy week so far. I got done early enough tonight and it was a beautiful evening so me and the boys (wifey was working) went and had a picnic dinner down by the river. We brought our little backpack grill and roasted some hot dogs. Then we explored in the woods for a while and climbed around on the rocks. Perfect evening with my boys. Time to call my daughter now. Today is her birthday!

Making cheese for the first time tonight. I think I grossly underestimated the schedule of events for the day so I am finishing up a bit late tonight.

Congrats on the birth of your new cheese!😄. Did you make the press? I like the size of it, looks small awo

Making cheese for the first time tonight. I think I grossly underestimated the schedule of events for the day so I am finishing up a bit late tonight.

Congrats on the birth of your new cheese!😄. Did you make the press?

I somehow assumed you weren't. That is great and one thing you don't have to worry about. I have a very weak voice. Maybe due to smoking but I have always been rather quiet. I guess a voice is like any other part of the body that is rarely used. I hate loud social situations. I can only raise my voice for about an hour and I just sit quietly after that.

Here is my woodworking project. I think I mentioned earlier that this is for wifey's soap display. The wire is for possible LED lighting. The last building part is the shelves (on drawer slides for ease of stocking and facing them). I plan to use a semi-transparent stain for a white washed effect. The stain is tinted. It is hopefully about the color of parchment. Then a few coats of water-based poly. I have a decent spray room so I like to use finishes I can spray.

thumb2_img_20150412_171405_677-65444.jpg

Next woodworking project: a full wall entertainment center...when I have time.

Beautiful craftmenship Ischiavo!

Good evening! Want to say more than hi but Im tired, this working thing is tough. 😄😄. Plus its at least two am on the west coast my time so id guess most of you are asleep

Truly miss you guys and look forward to getting back on here with better timing

Aloha
Dan

@passedpawn
I think I read somewhere that you bag your cheeses. When you do that do you get a lot of water build up in the bag? If so, should I drain it on occasion or just let it ride?

@passedpawn
I think I read somewhere that you bag your cheeses. When you do that do you get a lot of water build up in the bag? If so, should I drain it on occasion or just let it ride?

None. That would make me a little nervous, actually. The bags remain tight, no weeping. If anything, my cheese is too dry (overheating curds / pressing too hard).

I took all my cheese out last night (made nachos with Jarlsberg) and looked at them, all looked perfect really. No liquid in the bags.

None. That would make me a little nervous, actually. The bags remain tight, no weeping. If anything, my cheese is too dry (overheating curds / pressing too hard).

I took all my cheese out last night (made nachos with Jarlsberg) and looked at them, all looked perfect really. No liquid in the bags.

Perhaps I will take it out then and allow more drying time. I only air dried for 2 days and bagged and a few days later the bag is full of water. I pressed under 50lbs for 12 hours so that should be good.

Oh man, I did something with my fish tank I've been putting off for about 10 years. Took the whole day, but loving it. Anybody a fish fanatic out there? I do saltwater and corals.

Here's a ditty from the late great Lou Reed. 80's oddness. For your late night soundtrack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I did something with my fish tank I've been putting off for about 10 years. Took the whole day, but loving it. Anybody a fish fanatic out there? I do saltwater and corals.

I like to look at the fish when I am at the pet store, but luckily I don't feel compelled to add fish as a hobby. I imagine the time and money would add up fast. They are cool though....hmmm maybe just a little tank? :mug:

Thanks Dan. I went way overboard for a store display. I know better now.

My 8yo sculpted this tonight. He started off with something that looked like "The Thinker". I showed him a picture of it and this is what he made. I like that he wanted to be original.

img_20150421_210830_607-65470.jpg

You gonna cook it?

You gonna cook it?

No. That's just modeling clay. That piece is more abstract. He make some very realistic looking stuff also. He has a good eye for it. I have a buddy that makes tile. I will have to get my boy over there to fire something someday. Maybe I'll even get him a small kiln if he really likes it.

Holy cow after year on this site i finally made it!!!! Work 2nd shift got home like 11:30 and decided to keg my graf and skeetrr pee and it all wouldnt fit..... It 2am now and im :drunk: don't judge.......:cross:

No. That's just modeling clay. That piece is more abstract. He make some very realistic looking stuff also. He has a good eye for it. I have a buddy that makes tile. I will have to get my boy over there to fire something someday. Maybe I'll even get him a small kiln if he really likes it.

I dig it.

I like it, but I wish there was more cooking less game shows. I'd trade Iron Chef for Good Eats any day.

Good Eats is awesome. My oldest son and I have watched every episode we can find at least 3x over. We don't have cable but I probably wouldn't like Food Network either if it has gone the way of what used to be the more educational channels.

I dig it.

You dig clay? Seriously?

Some new work "toys":

thumb2_img_20150423_180828_435-65492.jpg

Our 1-1/8 Milwauke hammer took a dump after only about 15 years. I am sure the Bosch will not last as long but it seems nice at first glance.

I am really excited to try out the Greenlee 390. Yes, it is a $500 5-gallon bucket vacuum. Awesomely portable. Incredible power. We do a lot of gas station wiring. That means many 100 - 200-ft underground conduits to clean out and blow pull strings through. We have been getting by with shop-vacs for years. We were in need of a new one so I figured I would check out the specs:

Shop vac: 6hp, 181cfm, 63 inches water column (true measure of power).
390: 1/2hp, 101.2cfm, 137.1 inches water column.

I have to laugh at consumer specs. Really? 6hp with less than half the lift of 1/2hp. And who really cares about cfm's in a vacuum? Maybe you haven't handled a powerful vacuum before but this thing will suck your face off. I am sure nobody cares but thanks for reading anyway. :mug:

I always tell myself I should make skeeter pee someday. How did it come out?

I make it a lot and its awesome!!!! Its very easy to make, for 6 gal I just back sweeten with 3 cups of sugar and add 2 to 3 cans of lemon aid concentrate then keg.... It can get you in trouble specially served as a slushy....:rockin:

I make it a lot and its awesome!!!! Its very easy to make, for 6 gal I just back sweeten with 3 cups of sugar and add 2 to 3 cans of lemon aid concentrate then keg.... It can get you in trouble specially served as a slushy....:rockin:

Yeah, I should probably NOT make it too although I have been meaning to for years:mug:

Our 1-1/8 Milwauke hammer took a dump after only about 15 years. I am sure the Bosch will not last as long but it seems nice at first glance.

I am really excited to try out the Greenlee 390. Yes, it is a $500 5-gallon bucket vacuum. Awesomely portable. Incredible power. We do a lot of gas station wiring. That means many 100 - 200-ft underground conduits to clean out and blow pull strings through. We have been getting by with shop-vacs for years. We were in need of a new one so I figured I would check out the specs:

I have to laugh at consumer specs. Really? 6hp with less than half the lift of 1/2hp. And who really cares about cfm's in a vacuum? Maybe you haven't handled a powerful vacuum before but this thing will suck your face off. I am sure nobody cares but thanks for reading anyway. :mug:

I've got a Bosch SDS hammer drill. It's hard corps. I used it this weekend to put two 1" holes in a wall of my house (concrete block walls - for fish tank :) ). I've used it in the past, with a chisel tip, to remove a ton of ceramic tile once. Not the best tool for the job, but it was what I had. Hold onto that thing, the power will rip it right out of your hands.

I've got a Bosch SDS hammer drill. It's hard corps. I used it this weekend to put two 1" holes in a wall of my house (concrete block walls - for fish tank :) ). I've used it in the past, with a chisel tip, to remove a ton of ceramic tile once. Not the best tool for the job, but it was what I had. Hold onto that thing, the power will rip it right out of your hands.

It looks to be a good tool. We have been Bosch fans for many years. NOT made in China put this one in the cart and not the Makita. I have been happy with my Makita cordless drill and impact set though.

This is actually our small hammer drill for "delicate work". The variable speed on this will be awesome for starting a hole in tile. We have a few 1-1/2 Milwaukee spline tools for the big stuff and a german made handheld core drill for up to 5" holes.

I would choose this for 1" holes and removing tile. Sounds like you have the tool to fit your needs.

Okay. I'll make it. I have tons of sugar and my brewery is currently out of service. The slushy part put me over the edge. How do you do that. I have a few Snoopy Sno Cone makers if that helps;)

Cool!!!! Let me know what ya think..... We use a margarita maker or just use crushed ice but i'm thinking snow cone maker would be good too....::tank:

What's skeeter pee? Seriously. Ive heard of it a few tines. Never looked for the recipe

My big addition to the toolbox is a Dewalt cordless 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact driver. Got a say im pretty happy with both. The impact driver seems to have plenty of torque for me. The drill has a brake on it. I dont know why? Damn thing stops so suddenly the collar spins clockwise and the bit falls out. I dont get it.

Some new work "toys":

thumb2_img_20150423_180828_435-65492.jpg

Ischiavo, man! You always make things sound so great. I dig that. Cheers my friend. 😃

What's skeeter pee? Seriously. Ive heard of it a few tines. Never looked for the recipe

My big addition to the toolbox is a Dewalt cordless 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact driver. Got a say im pretty happy with both. The impact driver seems to have plenty of torque for me. The drill has a brake on it. I dont know why? Damn thing stops so suddenly the collar spins clockwise and the bit falls out. I dont get it.

Hey Dan!

skeeter pee is a hard lemonade. Apparently, lemons pose a bit of a challenge to get fermenting. What do you use an impact driver for (in general)?

What do i use amn impact driver for in general?

Things i dont need one for probably. Mostly i use it to drive small machine screws, deck nails, and other things that dont really need the hi torque. Im a kid in a candyshop or more like Tim Allen in, ToolTime - the Benford 2000-whatever. More horse power,ore torque, more speed, more whatever...must be better
Truth be told. So far my semi expensive hi-torque impact driver and 1/2" drill are overkill. I truly like the LED light each shines down on the work (trigger activated) and the quickness of bit changes, and the batteries are pretty dang strong and long lasting. ( sidenote- my old drill's batteries lasted for maybe 30 minutes Overall use. So i asked guys how ling there cordless batteries last. Answer, pretty long. Meaning. Long enough you stop worrying how long they last

Latest posts

Back