I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see some thigh men around here. Far better than chicken T&A. And yes PP, only thigh meat in stir fries. I sometimes just fry a half dozen in a cast iron pan. Just a little oil to get them started and some salt and pepper is all that is needed. Fantastic! I'm hungry.

Pinewood Derby in three days! I am assisting with three cars this year. I chose to introduce some power tools this year. We cut a jig to cut a wedge shaped car on the table saw and cleaned that up and shaped the individual cars on the belt sander. Drill press for the recess for weighting and melting and pouring some bird shot from an olive can (is this bad?). Hand sanding and then sprayed on a base coat. Some stickers and nail polish decorating brought us to the clear coat stage. They have them looking quite race worthy now but they will look and race better with the wheels on. That is the next step...

I think I became a father of three boys a bit later in my life than I should have. I wish I could give back half the energy they put out. And where would I be without them?

That is one thing I wish I'd got to do as a kid. I gave up on scouts and organizations like that when I was young.

Oh, I take that back. There is plenty more I missed out on and wish I could have done. Dad worked second shift for my young years.

Maybe that's why I try to do fun things with my kids.

For some reason, I forgot to take any. They all won their division though. My middle boy was around 3rd overall. Everyone had fun. Good family night out.

Kiernan, my 8 year old, took 1st place in his division and 3rd place for the pack event last year.

That is one thing I wish I'd got to do as a kid. I gave up on scouts and organizations like that when I was young.

Oh, I take that back. There is plenty more I missed out on and wish I could have done. Dad worked second shift for my young years.

My son has given up too. Scouts is vastly different now than it was when I was a cub.

Good parents do try to make up any shortcomings from their childhood to their kids. I have my list too;) At least I was able to do scouting until I quit on my own - not sure why I did. I missed some unbelievable outings later on in Boy Scouts.

Kiernan, my 8 year old, took 1st place in his division and 3rd place for the pack event last year.

My son has given up too. Scouts is vastly different now than it was when I was a cub.

Congrats to him. Too bad he is giving up. My oldest son going on 10 seems ready to quit. I keep trying to prop him up with promises of things to come as he gets further along. Problem is, there is so little interest around here. Our pack has no den leaders this year. There was a total of 7 entries in the three divisions my sons were in. Sad. Something must be different...

Congrats to him. Too bad he is giving up. My oldest son going on 10 seems ready to quit. I keep trying to prop him up with promises of things to come as he gets further along. Problem is, there is so little interest around here. Our pack has no den leaders this year. There was a total of 7 entries in the three divisions my sons were in. Sad. Something must be different...

I think our issue is that I volunteered as an assistant leader (due to having little time to devote to scouts) to a leader with little time to devote to scouts.

Thus, my involvement became more with the group as a whole and less one on one with my child. I've corrected for that but, I think it came too late.

He has very little interest in den meetings, no interest in pack meetings, no interest in earning badges. He does like the activities and loves the camping but dislikes the structured and catered to nature of the pack trips.

He wants to go camp as a family. Cook over burning wood and not have to follow an activity schedule.

I know a kid who did scouts right up until he was 18. He had ONE thing left to do to get his Eagle Scout, and he didn't do it. His mom says there wasn't any reason, he just didn't do it.

I can't believe how much it takes to get there and why he would ever consider not doing that one last thing.

What a waste. That kind of thing looks really good on a resume!

I know a kid who did scouts right up until he was 18. He had ONE thing left to do to get his Eagle Scout, and he didn't do it. His mom says there wasn't any reason, he just didn't do it.

I can't believe how much it takes to get there and why he would ever consider not doing that one last thing.

I think I know why...

canteen-boy.jpg

I think our issue is that I volunteered as an assistant leader (due to having little time to devote to scouts) to a leader with little time to devote to scouts.

Thus, my involvement became more with the group as a whole and less one on one with my child. I've corrected for that but, I think it came too late.

He has very little interest in den meetings, no interest in pack meetings, no interest in earning badges. He does like the activities and loves the camping but dislikes the structured and catered to nature of the pack trips.

He wants to go camp as a family. Cook over burning wood and not have to follow an activity schedule.

I can relate. I was a den leader for a few years. It is more difficult than it seems it should be.

Scouting is at it's core, a social and military-like group. It was founded on military principals. I was never a social butterfly or any sort of conformist so maybe that is why I got turned off in my early years (also with the church). I think your son and I would get along famously but I fear, we would miss the point of scouting.

So, what's he doing now? Methlab=bad decision, Doctor=didn't really matter.

I think I know why...

canteen-boy.jpg

I am sorry for your experience. I know a group I could put you in touch with.

Glad we brought this thread back. It's one of my favorites. Since I don't really know much more than LME kit brews and that you gotta keep your junk clean this is a cool place to have a cold one and BS with folks who do the same thing. The closest thing we got here to a bar room I suspect. :mug:

Glad we brought this thread back. It's one of my favorites. Since I don't really know much more than LME kit brews and that you gotta keep your junk clean this is a cool place to have a cold one and BS with folks who do the same thing. The closest thing we got here to a bar room I suspect. :mug:

There is a Tap Room. They certainly have a lot more traffic but you found the right place if you really like your fellow person and just wanna shoot the ****.

My musical contribution. Seems to me on topic:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cg-uMI_dFwo[/ame]

Time melts away in this living inferno
Trapped by a cause that I once understood
Feeling a sickness building inside of me
Who will I really have to answer to?

March on through the rivers of red
Souls drift, they fill the air
Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

Do only what is expected of me
With no emotions my feelings suppressed
Blind obedience carries me through it all
Conscience a word I learned to forget

Flesh burns, it fills the air
Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

My musical contribution. Seems to me on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Cg-uMI_dFwo

Feeling a sickness building inside of me
Who will I really have to answer to?

Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

With no emotions my feelings suppressed
Conscience a word I learned to forget

Flesh burns, it fills the air
Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

Forced to fight behind
The crooked cross

Funny you mention Slayer. I knew a guy who's callsign was Slayer cause would thrash junior guys for stupid ****. A general lack of tolerance for anything short of straight up and down. Reminds me of those days.

Funny you mention Slayer. I knew a guy who's callsign was Slayer cause would thrash junior guys for stupid ****. A general lack of tolerance for anything short of straight up and down. Reminds me of those days.

To me, Slayer speaks in the voice of an anti-social and introverted individual. Not that there is anything wrong with that. People that relate to Slayer do so for their own reasons. I like to think for myself and I like Slayer.

What a great weekend. Brewed a Rye English Bitter on Saturday assisted by my boys . Family time at the zoo on Sunday followed by a few of my own homebrewed beers. I couldn't ask for better.

Not really! Was a great Sunday here as well. Hung out with the SWMBO and worked on grad school most of the day as well as some work stuff. Good progress on both rewarded by some Maple Bacon Homebrew among other stuff.:mug:

I may be a little gloomy because we worked on taxes this weekend. I got taxes by the balls but my weekend is gone.

Yeah that's a thing. I dropped a mint on rent, tuition, and car registration this weekend. It was so awesome....lemme tell ya.

Happy late night everyone.

I am celebrating a bit tonight. With two phone calls and our regularly scheduled work, we pretty much filled the year. What a difference one day can make. If you are struggling to make your own way out there, I wish equal prosperity upon you.

My dad died in January. One of his old friends sent me this picture of him, 2 years before I was born (1963). He's fourth from the right. My mom is sitting on his right. He was 22, she 19. They had their whole lives in front of them. They're both dead now.

Sooo, it makes me think how fleeting life is. It's probably a good idea to make the most of tonight, tomorrow, next week, and the rest of the precious weeks that follow, because they are numbered.

dad-and-mom-1963-65362.jpg

Latest posts

Back