I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It went over very well. In fact, almost too good. Out of 4 lbs. of pastrami I didn't have as much for myself to eat as I hoped for. Lesson learned. Next time I need to make 8 lbs. of the stuff if not more than that.

It was a huge hit in my house. Thank you much for the recipe and pointers via your posts. Pastrami is now another thing I can do. That is priceless good stuff. I have you to thank for the inspiration. I am very grateful.

Needed to ship a needed to NCP comp. Of course the weather turn 85+ degrees. So I packed an ice pack into the box. I checked the shipping times and was able to ship at 5:30 p.m. and it will arrive next morning before 10 a.m. so the trip should be cool. Over $60 to overnight ship 2 bottles?!?!? Thank god I only signed up for one entry. I did not get San Diego (I would have driven it there), I got Sacramento. (I should have checked, maybe a round trip on Jet Blue or South West would have been cheaper than UPS).

Hi Friends!

Sorry to jump into this thread without reading all recent posts.. Except the Pastrami one.... Mmm Mmm good.. Say Ruben!

I'm at wits end. This week I'm waiting on two things. A job acceptance, which will start flowing money into this house. And a different offer that will not only flow pretty good money into this house but will be a new career.

Either one, I'll go with. The first as a start the second as a means to job satisfaction and retirement in 15-20 years. I'll be 70 in 20.

Cheers good people of HBT and especially to, This Time at Night.

Over the hump, late niters. I love this song, and this version is money.

How strange the change from major to minor.

For your late night soundtrack, sung by Sammy Davis Jr., written by the incomparable Cole Porter.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doqO8jMLNpY[/ame]

Hi

Gerimiah was a Bullfrog. He was a good friend to mine . Never understood a single word he said but we always had a very fine time... I always helped him drink his wine. : )

Last edited by a moderator:
Feeling a little disappointed tonight. Went to go and get the motorcycle out of storage today expecting to get to ride and when I arrived there was about a quart of oil on the floor. It has been there since October but I just checked on it a few weeks ago and it was fine then. So now I have to figure out what is wrong with it before I can ride. What a waste of all this good weather.

Feeling a little disappointed tonight. Went to go and get the motorcycle out of storage today expecting to get to ride and when I arrived there was about a quart of oil on the floor. It has been there since October but I just checked on it a few weeks ago and it was fine then. So now I have to figure out what is wrong with it before I can ride. What a waste of all this good weather.

Not a waste yet. Warner days are coming. Fix the bike. Good days ahead.

I should go to sleeper but am wide a
Wake. A little tiredross an old , got to admit. Today put new
old" flooringin cruise book, the upstairs bedroom. I'm only half complete. The hardest part was moving old stuff out. I ran old CruisevBook from 1985. Everybody looked so young. Many familiar faces

I second. Congrats Dan. Pretty soon you'll be flying us all out for the latenight party in Hawaii;)

My mind was going a thousand directions this morning. I have too many projects! I had a few beers and focused myself. I completed a few milestones on my year old bathroom remodel project that I have been putting off. At least that project is starting to look a little more downhill from here now.

Wow! My last post got wrangled somehow. I don't even understsnd it now. Haha.

Ischiavo, ya gotta post pics of the project! :)

LRB, don't feel bad about your long post getting lost in space. It happens to us all. ��

Here's a photo of my wife and me, I think it's 10 years old. Time does fly! I'm chubby in the cheeks but remember this photo well. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1426194665.665892.jpg

Well, one of the calls I thought would be a good one didn't turn out that way. ka sera sera.. I know that's spelled wrong but phonetically correct? Eff, not even sure I know what it means other than "Life goes on, whatever will be, will be." Or something like that.

Still waiting on another call.. I've been offered but HR has to do their thing first. I'm kind of excited about the opportunity. It pays 40% less than my last one and the work time hours aren't so good. But, friends...I've been unemployed for nearly a year. I'm at a point that I'll take, well not anything, but I hope to at least have a new job that will provide job satisfaction and a decent income.

Two, three years ago I'd of never taken this job - of course at that time I was fully employed with a great company, good pay and benefits, great hours...Things change. I changed that, threw all away and moved to Hawaii. Decisions made, not for the betterment of income..I am where I am now.

Thing is....I tell this to myself. I say, Dan you made big bucks, lived in a nice home and were alone. I also say, Dan, you can make a reasonable pay, live in a nice home and be with your wife..... Believe it or not? The choice wasn't easy. Call me a A.....e. Cause I am.

I made the move here and my particular job expertise is not needed here so I take what I can get. I applied for a job, terrible hours, they were on call 24/7 365. The guy I talked to, owner of the company decided I shouldn't take the job because I was overqualified...What?!!! It was a neat job, ****ty hours but good pay.. A young person's job for sure.

He probably did me a favor not hiring me. But, I got to tell you guys, it was a let down! In the long it was probably for the better.

This looking for work stuff is not something I'm accustomed to.. I was hired by a big company before I retired from the military. After that people just kept hiring me or wanted to hire me..I got a big head from it! - so to speak.

Well, now I'm humbled God. Thank you.
At your service
Dan

I had some trouble starting a thread a while back too. You're not alone.

I would probably be overqualified too (haha). Difference is, I am also underinterested;)

I had that luxury at one point. Do yourself a favor, don't discard what you have.

Wow! My last post got wrangled somehow. I don't even understsnd it now. Haha.

Ischiavo, ya gotta post pics of the project! :)

LRB, don't feel bad about your long post getting lost in space. It happens to us all. ��

Here's a photo of my wife and me, I think it's 10 years old. Time does fly! I'm chubby in the cheeks but remember this photo well. View attachment 262883
S*it hot whites, Senior! I honestly wish the best for you. I don't have that much time in, 8 years or so, but I'll be doing the same thing soon looking for work soon. God bless our Navy.

( I had to edit this. The orignal text seemed to drop words. I don't know why. Maybe a phone thing? ☺️)

I just finished talking on the phone with two very good Guys. We served together in Hawaii and around the world. Not unlike thousands of other military men and women. Times were good and bad- that's life. We were brothers and still are. I'm probably being a bit sentimental, that's me ��

I just fished talking on the phone with two very good s and good times togethguys. Brothers really. We all served in the Navy together...we went tuff time through a lot

Yeah I got brothers like that I served with in Iraq. You can always count on those guys. CHEERS! I'd buy a round if able.:mug:

Yeah I got brothers like that I served with in Iraq. You can always count on those guys. CHEERS! I'd buy a round if able.:mug:

Hi Rotor_Head! Thanks for the kind words. Don't fret getting out of the service. Many doors will open.

You're part of a brethren and we take care of each other. Cheers!

Erg

Question time.
Who wrote, why did he write this? It's the beginning of course to the Gettysburg address.

"Four score and seven years ago. Our fathers brought forth to this continent a new nation. Conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal"

Erg

Question

Who wrote, why did he write this beginning of an historical. American speech?

"Four score and seven years ago. Our fathers brought forth to this continent a new nation. Conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal"

The Gettysburg address by Abe Lincoln...Not sure as to the why part of your question.

The Gettysburg address by Abe Lincoln...Not sure as to the why part of your question.

Absolutely correct of course LRB! I'm not exactly sure of my question either😄.
Just seems our fore founders intentions have gotten lost over the years. When Lincoln wrote this speech, and I realize you know this. America was at the end of a civil war slit nation. I have no idea what split our country apart. Why we fought each other. You and me, and really all of us are very fortunate. Our past history is crazy. We are now freemen

The why part is pretty complicated.... but the short answer is because Abe cared more about a free, unified nation than he did about his own ratings....Which is more than I can say for some folks.

I don't know what's got me on a historic ramble. I'd just want to wish to you and yours, Peace, prosperity, good health and happiness

I don't know what's got me on a historic ramble. I'd just to wish to you and yours, Peace, prosperity, good health and happiness

Also, may you brew a damn good beer! Home brew is way better than the **** you get in the bar.... Which I know because I just came from there and went back to my own stash.:tank:

Dan, there is a podcast called hard core history ( Dan carton? I'll correct the name if I'm wrong). He just did a 5 part series on ww2 that was beyond amazing it?. You'd enjoy it.

Albert. Thank you. Not familiar with podcast. Will you walk me through it?

Albert. Thank you. Not familiar with podcast. Will you walk me through it?

To get a podcast, you must first down load ITunes. Once you have that, there will be a menu bar near the top of the screen. On the top right of the window will be a search bar. Use it to find your podcast. Download and done. Please ask if you have further questions. :mug:

Dan, there is a podcast called hard core history ( Dan carton? I'll correct the name if I'm wrong). He just did a 5 part series on ww2 that was beyond amazing. You'd enjoy it.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The series he has been releasing was about WW1, Blueprint for Armageddon. He's released 5 episodes and I don't think it's finished. It is really good. I've listened to all his podcasts over the last several years.

For listening, I use an app called Downcast. I used a few of them and this one I like best. It's only available on iPhone. On android phones, there's probably better apps than iTunes, but I don't have first-hand experience.

Passedpawn is right it is ww1 that the current series is about.

Dan has his last 10-20 or so podcasts available for free on his website.
You can listen to them right from any browser. Just go to his website, click Hardcore History, library.

For the WW1 series, Blueprint for Armegeddon. Wrath of the Khans was his best I thought, and it's right there.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

Hey friends. Today is Sunday. I realize I'm stating obvious.

Doing some grilling. Chicken thighs. Nearly impossible to screw those up. Normally around this house my favorite chicken marinade is shoyu, lemon juice, garlic and some freshly shredded ginger. It's truly one of the most simplistic, tasty marinades ever. But I get tired of that occasionally. So I cheated. Used Italian dressing. I know that's pretty lame. I was dead set against the stuff on my salad or anything that included marinade in the name. For many years! Recently we were out of shoyu and fresh lemons. Sort of a freakish time. So there was an old bottle of Italian dressing in the fridge. I have no idea how long the stuff had been hiding in my fridge. ....just the generic store bought stuff

Anyway I used it. Shortish length of time marinade, for me, about two hours.

I grilled the marinated chicken. The Italian dressing was certainly susceptible to burning which threw me off. Maybe it was the oil that burned easily. I caught up with the flame pretty quickly.

Long story short. The chicken turned out really great! The dressing didn't overpower the flavor of the chicken with vinegar and herbs. It was however rally nice. I'm not sure how to describe other than to say it had... Heck I'm no food critic connisuer. It was pretty freaking good. Had a very slight flavor of the Italian dressing, but super mild. I don't think I'd of realized the marinade used if I didn't know. Nothing close to the sharp in your face of vinegarness of id

Doing some grilling. Chicken thighs. Nearly impossible to screw those up. Normally around this house my favorite chicken marinade is shoyu, lemon juice, garlic and some freshly shredded ginger. It's truly one of the most simplistic, tasty marinades ever. But I get tired of that occasionally. So I cheated. Used Italian dressing. I know that's pretty lame. I was dead set against the stuff on my salad or anything that included marinade in the name. For many years! Recently we were out of shoyu and fresh lemons. Sort of a freakish time. So there was an old bottle of Italian dressing in the fridge. I have no idea how long the stuff had been hiding in my fridge. ....just the generic store bought stuff

I grilled the marinated chicken. The Italian dressing was certainly susceptible to burning which threw me off. Maybe it was the oil that burned easily. I caught up with the flame pretty quickly.

Long story short. The chicken turned out really great! The dressing didn't overpower the flavor of the chicken with vinegar and herbs. It was however rally nice. I'm not sure how to describe other than to say it had... Heck I'm no food critic connisuer. It was pretty freaking good. Had a very slight flavor of the Italian dressing, but super mild. I don't think I'd of realized the marinade used if I didn't know. Nothing close to the sharp in your face of vinegarness of id

Mmmm....chicken thighs are the best. The only chicken I buy unless it's a whole bird. I have done some italian dressing a few times. It has always worked out well but the oil can be a problem on the grill.

So, any Linux guys around here? I am running Mint booted off a flash drive right now on my old Gateway netbook. My first impressions are good but I really do not know where to go from here or even if I chose the best version to start with. I have XP Home and it has been starting to give me some issues. Any advice is appreciated.

Dan, you're right! I only buy thighs. Before I grill them, I marinade them in soy sauce and honey. I just put them in a big freezer bag and put the soy sauce and honey in there and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

Thigh are awesome!

Dan,

I'm a fan of simple, as long as it tastes good. Italian dressing is a staple marinade at my house. Add a little red wine vinegar and some fresh crushed garlic to it and marinate for 2-4 hours.

I agree on the thighs, but can't convince SWMBO, so it's usually 1/2 a chicken at my house.

Mike

Back