I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is actually a song written for anime credits, but it's still pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm the only one awake, I believe I shall say wiltipsiwipikilik. Which means...Whatever I want it to at the time. :D

I had to move my mead from the pumpkin to regular fermenting bucket today. The bottom of it was all soft, and some liquid was on the counter under it. I'm going to give it a couple weeks, then check on it. I hope it isn't infected with anything, though I think that's likely at this point.

Survived another Monday. Wife's car is still in the shop so I had to get up early and drive her to work, then drive myself to work (an hour in the opposite direction), teach all morning, drive back to pick her up and bring her home, then drive back to work (yep, same hour), then teach my night class. 6AM to 10PM day with a lot of useless time driving occupying all my normally free time. I'm finally at home, in my cozy clothes and am countering the caffeine and adrenaline buzz with some well directed SNPAs. I don't technically have to wake up until 3PM tomorrow, so I am going to make the most of it.

Since I'm the only one awake, I believe I shall say wiltipsiwipikilik. Which means...Whatever I want it to at the time. :D

If I ever get out to Denver again we have to go drink together. I like the way your brain works.

I had to move my mead from the pumpkin to regular fermenting bucket today. The bottom of it was all soft, and some liquid was on the counter under it. I'm going to give it a couple weeks, then check on it. I hope it isn't infected with anything, though I think that's likely at this point.

What is the alcohol level? Maybe OK?

Hello! Pinklesich! I'm awake. Been busy doing this and that. Experimenting in the garden. Having fun. Brewing stuff.

Thinking of going on the road with one of my hens. She's the only one not laying eggs, I think something is wrong with her. She falls out of trees instead of gliding down like the other chickens, and if you give her water in a clear container, she'll peck at the sides and wonder why she can't get a drink. When we had the chickens in a coop, when they were little, she always had trouble finding her way in, through the open door that the other chickens were using. But, she follows me around and keeps eye contact when she can and if I spin and dance, she will do the same. BobbiLynn and the Dancing Chicken. We'll be famous. It'll be better than dancing bananas.

:ban::ban:

BobbiLynn and the Dancing Chicken. We'll be famous. It'll be better than dancing bananas.

DancingChicken.gif

If I ever get out to Denver again we have to go drink together. I like the way your brain works.

What is the alcohol level? Maybe OK?
Absolutely!

I'm not sure on the alcohol level. It might be ok. It might not. I'd say it's about 50/50 with how the bottom of the pumpkin was melting. I'll give it a couple months and see. If it's got something in it I should know for sure then.

I finally got around to making some vanilla icecream. Or rather, I made the liquid. It's chilling in my freezer now. Here's what I'm doing, hoping for a better texture this time.

Texture Experiment 1.0

1 1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin = 3 packets
3 cups low fat milk
3 egg yolks, no string
1 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
2 vanilla beans
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Mix 1/2 cup of milk with gelatin. When separating eggs, be sure to remove the string from the egg yolks. Break up egg yolks with a fork. Add remaining milk, egg yolks, coconut milk, and sugar to a medium sauce pan on low heat. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Split and scrape vanilla beans. Add scrapings and pods to pan. Turn heat up to medium-low. Stir occasionally and cook until mixture thickens. Do not boil. This will not setup the way custard usually does, it doesn't have enough egg in it to thicken that much. Whisk in gelatin, make sure it's fully dissolved.

Chill mix, and turn according to ice cream maker instructions.

Absolutely!

I'm not sure on the alcohol level. It might be ok. It might not. I'd say it's about 50/50 with how the bottom of the pumpkin was melting. I'll give it a couple months and see. If it's got something in it I should know for sure then.

I'm experiencing a paradigm shift in my perception of brewing, maybe now that I am playing with sours. I now see all ferments as infected. The only real question is "Is it a tasty infection?"

My apfelwein stopped ripping rhino farts and the emanations from my sour bucket airlock are pleasant - crazy fruit aromas, no cheese stink at all. I'm still afraid to open it because I just know Audrey will suck me in if I do:

Audrey2.jpg

I'm experiencing a paradigm shift in my perception of brewing, maybe now that I am playing with sours. I now see all ferments as infected. The only real question is "Is it a tasty infection?"

My apfelwein stopped ripping rhino farts and the emanations from my sour bucket airlock are pleasant - crazy fruit aromas, no cheese stink at all. I'm still afraid to open it because I just know Audrey will suck me in if I do:...
Ah yes, the people eating plants do emit sweet aromas to lure in their prey. :D

Oh, I got and hooked up my temp controller for my keezer today. It's a johnson digital. Odd thing, it's letting the keezer get about 5f lower then the set point. Hmm, that's a bit odd. Ok I guess, I'll just up the set point a bit.

EDIT: I also went to a LHBS to see about getting that tank filled. It looks like it isn't certified, so no dice. I'll have to look around some more.

Gosh, the beers in my fridge are just going down so easy tonight. I am so glad that tomorrow is a prep day.

I can't wait until my English PA is carbed up. I'm really excited by that brew. I've been brewing Centennial Blonde all summer, and finally just wanted more hop. I like SNPA but something about English ales and EKG just appeals to my sense of what a beer should be. Tasty-drunk-out-of-a-pewter-tankard-while-flirting-with-the-wenches sort of beer. Arrr!

You have to wrangle in the dif setting. I think the preset is 5 degrees.
That would make sense. I haven't really played with it yet. 5 degrees is a reasonable amount to allow the temp to fluctuate. You don't want it cycling every 2 minutes after all.

Gosh, the beers in my fridge are just going down so easy tonight. I am so glad that tomorrow is a prep day.

I can't wait until my English PA is carbed up. I'm really excited by that brew. I've been brewing Centennial Blonde all summer, and finally just wanted more hop. I like SNPA but something about English ales and EKG just appeals to my sense of what a beer should be. Tasty-drunk-out-of-a-pewter-tankard-while-flirting-with-the-wenches sort of beer. Arrr!

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, the portion of the ice cream mix that didn't fit in the churn turned into custard jello in the fridge. It needs more sugar, and less gelatin I think. The fat content is just about right though.

The texture is pretty good actually. I wouldn't try to use it in a root beer float though. It doesn't melt the same way.

EDIT: I also went to a LHBS to see about getting that tank filled. It looks like it isn't certified, so no dice. I'll have to look around some more.

LG, I bought a used aluminum 25 lbs. tank off CL and took it to my local Gas/Welding joint. They charged my $25 for the certification. They just did an exchange for another certified and full aluminum tank.

LG, I bought a used aluminum 25 lbs. tank off CL and took it to my local Gas/Welding joint. They charged my $25 for the certification. They just did an exchange for another certified and full aluminum tank.
I'll probably end up doing something like that. I honestly haven't put to much effort into it yet. :)

Hmmm...the sour is not doing bad. Gravity down to 1.012. The cheesy smell is gone, mostly fruit aroma. Tastes pretty good, a little lactic and acetic sourness. The Brett. is a slow fermenter, but that's about par for the course. This might actually wind up being pretty interesting.

The all-Brett. brew is going really slow. 11 days and only 1-2 points lost (down to 1.020). I put it in the cupboard to warm it up (~78F) a few weeks ago, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. It was very gassy, so I agitated out some gas and put it back in the cupboard. The taste is similar to the sour but somewhat cleaner; the fruit is brighter and more noticeable.

I bought a 55 gallon stainless drum from Bubba's Barrels.com today for my new BK. They shipped it 5 minutes after my card went through. So far, I would recommend them. They are used so I told them I wanted a pretty one. I hope that helps.

lschiavo said:
I've never read a response that better matched the responders avatar. The exclamation is out of place. I read it like this:

Yes...[puffs on cigar] pause [sips brandy] Interesting vid for sure.

Extra credit for knowing the man in the pic....

Back