I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, can anything really be off topic on a thread in the drunken ramblings sub section?, I'm starting to wonder if there really is something chemically wrong with my brain.

I went several weeks where I didn't have any trouble sleeping, but I was very depressed. For the last several days I've felt like I've gotten a constant dose of caffeine. I'm hyper alert, thinking faster then normal. I can't seem to get to sleep. I can't shut my mind down. The thing is, I'm not sure I'd want a cure if there is one. I know that for the next couple of weeks I'll be able to do so much it's almost scary. I've been feeling, not hyper, but extremely mentally active and focused. The downside is that I know I'll also be prone to occasional intense feelings of rage.

Am I crazy for not wanting this fixed? I've been like this for as long as I can remember. It's just recently I've started to think that it's abnormal. Is it even abnormal?

I am not a medical professional, but that sounds like bipolar to me too. I know a few people who have suffered with it. It is treatable.

But before that, I worry that maybe that you are riding a self-medicating roller coaster - melatonin and alcohol to overcome the caffeine bringing you down and caffeine to overcome the alcohol and melatonin bringing you back up. If that is what is really happening then trying to address bipolar when it really isn't bipolar is going to be a frustration, possibly counterproductive. Just a thought. :mug:

Melatonin *should* be effective in much smaller doses than you are taking, but if you take large amounts of melatonin frequently, your brain gets adjusted to it and it soon becomes ineffective. Give it a break for a while, then take it occaisionally, it will be much more effective. Also, melatonin is something that will definitely give you headaches and migraines if overdone.

I've cut my coffee and alcohol to 2 servings a day each (well, more beer on the weekend, but hey, I gotta live). I take a multivitamin in the morning and before bed I take a magnesium supplement. Magnesium is pretty great stuff - very relaxing, and safe. Just watch that you don't take too much as it give you diahrea like nothing else. I sleep pretty well.

LG, maybe the shots hadn't kicked in yet when you last posted. That was a few hours ago so bet you're sawing some logs by now

I'm now a grandpa! My oldest daughter gave birth today. 6lb baby girl, Gracelynn Hope. Mother and baby doing well. : )

Congrats! That is wonderful news! My dad says being a Grandpa is the best thing ever. Love the name, my grandmothers first name is Hope.

Leadgolem said:
Off topic, can anything really be off topic on a thread in the drunken ramblings sub section?, I'm starting to wonder if there really is something chemically wrong with my brain.

Am I crazy for not wanting this fixed? I've been like this for as long as I can remember. It's just recently I've started to think that it's abnormal. Is it even abnormal?

It really does sound like bipolar. People enjoy the highs, but the lows are awful. There are some very helpful medications available.

Dan said:
LG, maybe the shots hadn't kicked in yet when you last posted. That was a few hours ago so bet you're sawing some logs by now

I'm now a grandpa! My oldest daughter gave birth today. 6lb baby girl, Gracelynn Hope. Mother and baby doing well. : )

Congratulations! My two girls' names are Lynn and Hope. They have a cousin named Grace. :)

Congratulations Dan! I'm a grandfather 3 times now and a 4th on the way! Nothing like it, we get spoil 'em and have all kinds of fun and then they go home with Momma and Poppa. I love my kids but I adore my grandchildren.
:mug::ban:

If I am not a grandfather in three years, my daughter is not on the same plan I was. That will not make me sad. She has plenty of time. My youngest of four is four. I think I would hate to have the best of both worlds...I may feel different in a few years.

Anyone want to buy an electric sanke HLT? It is really nice. I think I will post it in the classifieds in a while but if someone from this thread wants it, they will get a better deal.

lschiavo said:
If I am not a grandfather in three years, my daughter is not on the same plan I was. That will not make me sad. She has plenty of time. My youngest of four is four. I think I would hate to have the best of both worlds...I may feel different in a few years. Anyone want to buy an electric sanke HLT? It is really nice. I think I will post it in the classifieds in a while but if someone from this thread wants it, they will get a better deal.

Shoot me over the details

Just put in a grain order for my Barleywine. $83 shipped. I did need a full bag of 2-Row so that was $30, but dang. That's before the extra $10 of ingredients, for a 6 gal batch too!

I doubt that, I took them back to back and with the melatonin about an hour before posting.

Congratulations Dan!:mug:
There are several wineries known for their Brett character. Unfortunately the prices are above even my most expensive & treasured beers in the cellar and I can't justify dropping that kinda coin on vino.

You've got a rather loose definition of wine LG. Not sure Brett'd hooch would be very good, but only one way to find out.

Congrats on your new granddaughter Dan!
Haha, yeah I suppose I do define wine rather loosely.

What I had intended for this batch though was a straight juice ferment. Minimal sugar, just that pound or so of DME I've got. I've done a black cherry wine with no fortification before like that. It was incredibly good. I think it came out at about 7%. A little on the low side for my tastes, but the flavor was fantastic.

I am not a medical professional, but that sounds like bipolar to me too. I know a few people who have suffered with it. It is treatable.

But before that, I worry that maybe that you are riding a self-medicating roller coaster - melatonin and alcohol to overcome the caffeine bringing you down and caffeine to overcome the alcohol and melatonin bringing you back up. If that is what is really happening then trying to address bipolar when it really isn't bipolar is going to be a frustration, possibly counterproductive. Just a thought. :mug:

Melatonin *should* be effective in much smaller doses than you are taking, but if you take large amounts of melatonin frequently, your brain gets adjusted to it and it soon becomes ineffective. Give it a break for a while, then take it occaisionally, it will be much more effective. Also, melatonin is something that will definitely give you headaches and migraines if overdone.

I've cut my coffee and alcohol to 2 servings a day each (well, more beer on the weekend, but hey, I gotta live). I take a multivitamin in the morning and before bed I take a magnesium supplement. Magnesium is pretty great stuff - very relaxing, and safe. Just watch that you don't take too much as it give you diahrea like nothing else. I sleep pretty well.
My usual caffeine dose, since I'm working normal hours again, is either one caffeinated sugar free drink packet or one cup of tea a day. When I'm feeling like this, it's nothing. I don't need it to wake me up right now.

When I'm feeling like this I drink chamomile tea during the day instead. Otherwise I get kinda hyper.

Usually melatonin is effective for me at the normal 3mg dose. I do have trouble sleeping frequently, but it's more like two or three times a week I'll take it.

When I'm feeling like this, it doesn't work at the normal dose. 9mg is pretty much the minimum for it to work. I've taken doses up to 27mg before. It gave me a slight headache for a couple of hours the next day.

It really does sound like bipolar. People enjoy the highs, but the lows are awful. There are some very helpful medications available.

Congratulations! My two girls' names are Lynn and Hope. They have a cousin named Grace. :)
I appreciate the feedback everybody.

Several years ago, I started taking melatonin. No problem sleeping, but I'd heard it gave you weird dreams. I don't remember what the dosage was, but it did take several days before I noticed any
effects. I had weird dreams, but also slept way too late every morning. so I stopped taking it.
The most sleep trouble I've had is sleeping too long, and not waking up easily. That was really a big problem when I worked day shift :eek:

So, melatonin dreams seem similar to chantix dreams. I'm now researching melatonin as a smoking cessation aid. Maybe it can work.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091305700003026

Several years ago, I started taking melatonin. No problem sleeping, but I'd heard it gave you weird dreams. I don't remember what the dosage was, but it did take several days before I noticed any
effects. I had weird dreams, but also slept way too late every morning. so I stopped taking it.
The most sleep trouble I've had is sleeping too long, and not waking up easily. That was really a big problem when I worked day shift :eek:

So, melatonin dreams seem similar to chantix dreams. I'm now researching melatonin as a smoking cessation aid. Maybe it can work.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0091305700003026
I used to take it every day, I had really intense dreams. They were bothersome at first, but you get used to them after a couple of months.

I'm actually getting a little bit sleepy tonight, so I'll probably pass on the melatonin tonight.

Am I the only one watching spongebob right now? My buddy fell asleep on the other couch. Season 1 rocks!
spongebob-quotes-funny_4696891370376072.jpg

Brew brothers. Virtual grain bag. You pay $30 a bag, and they ship you just what you need, keeping a tally in their system. Always have fresh grain. You get a sheet from them when you draw off it. They'll kill for free too and always comes with a great crush. Worth paying shipping for when the closest place for me is an hour away

View attachment 150723

This is one of my old sheets. Been cranking through the grain lately.

For those taking melatonin. It works with the light receptor in your brain. If you take it and keep the lights on it can actually keep you awake. Gotta take it in the dark.

snaps10 said:
Brew brothers. Virtual grain bag. You pay $30 a bag, and they ship you just what you need, keeping a tally in their system. Always have fresh grain. You get a sheet from them when you draw off it. They'll kill for free too and always comes with a great crush. Worth paying shipping for when the closest place for me is an hour away This is one of my old sheets. Been cranking through the grain lately.
:eek:
We'll give ya a great crush, AND bump off that pesky ex-wife a yours - The Brew Bruthas.

I just found my ex-wife's husband ON HBT!!!!! I said nothing like that statement!

;-)

I absolutely recommend brewbrothers.biz to anyone. Great prices and always good, fresh ingredients.

congrats Grandpa Dan. I'm a bit late. I am a first time Grandpa too. Spoil them and send them home hahaha. Buy loud toys form them to play with. Most important, love them to death. Grandkids will be joy to your life.

I may actually! Indeed to build another vessel anyway.

Shoot me over the details

How is the hlt setup?

Hey guys. Here are some pics of the HLT:

thumb2_img_20130928_095115_268-61108.jpg

thumb2_img_20130928_095155_833-61109.jpg

thumb2_img_20130928_095139_259-61110.jpg

All of the fittings are stainless or copper soldered in. 1/2" bottom drain/fill, 60-ft 3/8" HERMS coil, (2) 5500W elements, 1/2" inlet on top for stir pump, auber temp probe, high and low level switches, homemade sight guage.

Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested. I will have to do a little calculating on what I have into it. I will also most likely sell the 4500W 15gal sanke BK and the 15gal sanke MLT.

Today is the big day! I'm getting ready to head out to my cities first annual craft beer festival. Better yet I'll be finding out where I stand against other local homebrewers in the homebrew competition.

Stauffbier said:
Today is the big day! I'm getting ready to head out to my cities first annual craft beer festival. Better yet I'll be finding out where I stand against other local homebrewers in the homebrew competition.

Comps are pretty worthless. Unless you win. ;)

For those taking melatonin. It works with the light receptor in your brain. If you take it and keep the lights on it can actually keep you awake. Gotta take it in the dark.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
Production of melatonin by the pineal gland is inhibited by light to the retina and permitted by darkness. Its onset each evening is called the dim-light melatonin onset (DLMO).
Your bodies natural production of melatonin is dependent on light. Melatonin introduced artificially is not effected by light. However, if you do turn the lights off your system will produce melatonin by it's self.

What the actual compound melatonin does to your brain does not change with lighting conditions. Only the level produced by your pineal gland.

I got a line on a corolla for cheap. It's been flooded, but has also been driven for about three years. It's got a few problems, but the price is really good. I may see about picking it up and doing some repairs. My thinking is that if there had been major mechanical damage, it should have shown up by now. What do you late night peeps think?

Well friends... I took first place in the "Porter" category with my Spiced Pumpkin Porter. I have to admit I'm kind of surprised. I felt like my RIS and IIPA were much stronger beers, but I'm not going to complain. I'm excited about the results! Next year maybe Best of Show!

Well friends... I took first place in the "Porter" category with my Spiced Pumpkin Porter. I have to admit I'm kind of surprised. I felt like my RIS and IIPA were much stronger beers, but I'm not going to complain. I'm excited about the results! Next year maybe Best of Show!
Congrats Stauff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back