I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this is rambling thread I thought I would share for those of you who like jazz and have an updated iPhone for you set a station to scat. Man strothers you will get amazing music

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
I got a line on a corolla for cheap. It's been flooded, but has also been driven for about three years. It's got a few problems, but the price is really good. I may see about picking it up and doing some repairs. My thinking is that if there had been major mechanical damage, it should have shown up by now. What do you late night peeps think?

Good tough cars in general, but my wife's 04 Corolla has had bad corrosion issues in the gas tank filler pipe (last year) and (now) the top of the tank. Had to have both replaced. The fault threw a vapor recovery system leak code, which lead to three separate trips to the dealer, leak testing of the vapor recovery system to isolate the leaks, and replacement of the vapor recovery canister, check valve, and now the gas tank itself. Total $1300 of work.

The engine has a timing chain vs. a belt, so you don't need to get in for a pricey timing belt service every 100k like my Honda, so with the exception of the gas system issues it has been a pretty inexpensive car to maintain.

I got a line on a corolla for cheap. It's been flooded, but has also been driven for about three years. It's got a few problems, but the price is really good. I may see about picking it up and doing some repairs. My thinking is that if there had been major mechanical damage, it should have shown up by now. What do you late night peeps think?

I think it's cheap for a reason. I'd think long and hard before buying a car knowing it was flooded. If every wire, every wire connection and every electrical device in the entire car was replaced I might consider it. The odds of that are slim to none. If you want electrical problems buy a vw or a jag.

Thanks to rhoop this song is stuck in my head. So why not share with the late nighters? (warning earworm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SJvKDAF8Xk
Hmm? They make a few sounds, but aren't as vocal as most cannids. The really unique sound they make is something like a multi-frequency wine. They do that when they play fight, or are fighting for real as adults.

Most of the others are easier to understand as dogs make them sometimes too. Sort of a coughing bark alarm sound. Kind of a yell when during the mating season.

Stauffbier said:
Well friends... I took first place in the "Porter" category with my Spiced Pumpkin Porter. I have to admit I'm kind of surprised. I felt like my RIS and IIPA were much stronger beers, but I'm not going to complain. I'm excited about the results! Next year maybe Best of Show!

Congratulations! I'm thinking about bringing a bottle to my brew store for feedback before entering anything. I don't really know anybody who's into beer, so it's hard to get a solid opinion.

My three cats killed a grouse today in my backyard. It is now in the freezer and I am taking them out next time I go hunting.

So, it wasn't a typo for goose. Learning every day...grouse

!GROUSE.jpg

beaksnbeer said:
Great job Stauff. Wife checked the spread sheet she uses to track beer production and recipe tweaking and I am only at 195 gallons so I get to brew again. (before the new fiscal year ends);)

I'm always at 188 gallons, just enough for one more batch. ;-)

That's silly. You just need a halfway decent image editing program and some time to play with it. I'm using the Gimp, it's free.

Now, grouse hunting cat time. :)

Ha! That is an excellent grouse hunting cat. I used gimp as well, you're right I just haven't spent any time with it. Last night I found out what a layer is, its a start.

Well done LG. You cracked my kids up.
If it makes someone laugh, then it was worth the time. :)

I pretty much finished moving my storage room. Some odds and ends are still left, but nothing much. It took about 5 hours. I think I'll have something to drink now.

Hmm, I need 23 more quarts of black cherry juice for my brett wine experiment. I think I shall see if I can find some wine base instead. The bottles are 4-6$ for 1 quart.

Ha! That is an excellent grouse hunting cat. I used gimp as well, you're right I just haven't spent any time with it. Last night I found out what a layer is, its a start.
Here's a zip file with the base images, .xcf, and output image if you want to see what I did. I didn't save much in terms of intermediate steps though.

Hi everybody!

I've been off the grid since Friday and just catching up on the thread. I'd like to humbly thank everybody for the congrats and well wishes!

Mike, Congrats on your win! Being fortunate enough to have tasted some your beers, I was sure you were going to do well in this comp! Congrats my friend.

Great job Stauff.
Wife checked the spread sheet she uses to track beer production and recipe tweaking and I am only at 195 gallons so I get to brew again. (before the new fiscal year ends);)

Congratulations! I'm thinking about bringing a bottle to my brew store for feedback before entering anything. I don't really know anybody who's into beer, so it's hard to get a solid opinion.

Ooops, I didn't scroll back far enough tonight, congrats Stauffbier!

John Palmer and Colin Kaminski's book Water arrived today, woot!

Hi everybody!

I've been off the grid since Friday and just catching up on the thread. I'd like to humbly thank everybody for the congrats and well wishes!

Mike, Congrats on your win! Being fortunate enough to have tasted some your beers, I was sure you were going to do well in this comp! Congrats my friend.

Thank you all very much!

@$6 a quart?
At $4 a quart, fortunately.

The last time I made wine with this juice it blew me away. It's the best wine I've ever tasted. Not just the best I've made, straight up the best. Cheap, it is not.

I'm going to go do some reading about brett, it seems I'd want to add it after fermentation had completed? That seems a touch odd to me...

I probably shouldn't post this, but hey I've been drinking. You what the bad part of shopping is? The shopping. You know what the good part of shopping is? The occasional gorgeous but you see. A gal in the supermarket half caught me looking. I wasn't staring, but I did look. She caught me out of the corner of her eye. Then, as I was walking by, she decided she was going to lean over some kind of cosmetics display. Yup, that was beautiful.

At $4 a quart, fortunately.

The last time I made wine with this juice it blew me away. It's the best wine I've ever tasted. Not just the best I've made, straight up the best. Cheap, it is not.

I'm going to go do some reading about brett, it seems I'd want to add it after fermentation had completed? That seems a touch odd to me...

Short version is that brett does stuff other than ferment. If you add brett early on, it behaves similarly to sacchromyces. If you add brett after the primary fermentation, it will transform the esters and other flavor compounds produced by the sacc. It will also ferment some long chain sugars, but that shouldn't be an issue with juice.

I probably shouldn't post this, but hey I've been drinking. You what the bad part of shopping is? The shopping. You know what the good part of shopping is? The occasional gorgeous but you see. A gal in the supermarket half caught me looking. I wasn't staring, but I did look. She caught me out of the corner of her eye. Then, as I was walking by, she decided she was going to lean over some kind of cosmetics display. Yup, that was beautiful.

If I was going to believe in god, it'd be because of yoga pants and yeast, but not for the cause and effect relationship.

Short version is that brett does stuff other than ferment. If you add brett early on, it behaves similarly to sacchromyces. If you add brett after the primary fermentation, it will transform the esters and other flavor compounds produced by the sacc. It will also ferment some long chain sugars, but that shouldn't be an issue with juice.

I have a failed barely wine that I added Brett to, and left in the back of the garage for a year without any temp control. I just keged it. I don't have high hopes but we'll see.

Interesting, it seems that yes brett will ferment things but it's rather slow. So the generally recommend method would be to add it after primary fermentation has completed.

The really outstanding batch of black cherry wine was just champagne yeast and juice. I'll probably keep things pretty close to that this time. Juice, the DME I've got in my cupboard, and juice. About two weeks later I'll pitch the brett. At the same time I'll start a batch with just juice and yeast for blending.

The only thing I could see that could have been improved with the black cherry wine was the complexity. It's a really nice flavor combination, well rounded. It's just slightly simple though. I'm wanting to know if the brett will give me some nice complexity. The other option would be tannin of course, but I honestly don't really care for tannin.

Comments? Recommendations?

I have a failed barely wine that I added Brett to, and left in the back of the garage for a year without any temp control. I just keged it. I don't have high hopes but we'll see.

Brett can work in an under attenuated beer that is otherwise tasty, but it doesn't tend to make bad beer good.

Interesting, it seems that yes brett will ferment things but it's rather slow. So the generally recommend method would be to add it after primary fermentation has completed.

The really outstanding batch of black cherry wine was just champagne yeast and juice. I'll probably keep things pretty close to that this time. Juice, the DME I've got in my cupboard, and juice. About two weeks later I'll pitch the brett. At the same time I'll start a batch with just juice and yeast for blending.

The only thing I could see that could have been improved with the black cherry wine was the complexity. It's a really nice flavor combination, well rounded. It's just slightly simple though. I'm wanting to know if the brett will give me some nice complexity. The other option would be tannin of course, but I honestly don't really care for tannin.

Comments? Recommendations?

If it was good the first time, I skip the brett and just brew it like you did the first time. Brett as a primary strain with proper pitch rate etc isn't any slower than sacc. I think brett primary beers are a passing novelty, but there are a few good ones out there. Some of Crooked Stave's stuff is really good.

Back