I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It´s 7:40 Am here and I´m already logged to two different beer forums and thinking about beer... does this means that I´m an alcoholic or just a beer freak?

6:10 AM and I'm bottling, thinking about the small batch I brewed yesterday, wondering how it will turn out. Since I'm not actually drinking the beer I say, just a beer freak. I can just hear the head doctor now, so, how often do you think about beer? Me: I dream of beer.

BB, come troll with me on the chicken forum! I would love to see your magical act! They did start talking to me on the chicken site, but no one had any answers, get a red light(already got one), put that chicken in his own pen(nope, too much work). So I went back and told them my own solution. Then they asked me questions and said Wow. I think I could teach those chicken people a thing or 2. I might not have chicken experience, but have successfully raised baby squirrels, baby wrens, of course puppies and kittens. I wander in the woods a lot so sometimes come across abandoned babies, some others I couldn't fix and they died. Like the poor little turtle with the broken shell, I tried to glue him back together. But I think he had internal injuries and he died. Or, he died from glue poisoning.

Last night hubby and I went out to dinner, he ran into some old friends and I made some new ones. I got talking to the pretty waitress about tats and another pretty one came over to join the conversation. With the pretty girls around him, hubby was interested in tattoos. And Mandy wants me to call her when I go in for mine, might want to join me and get one herself. So now the plan is this Saturday, me, Sharon, her hubby Steve, maybe Mandy and maybe my best friend Laura as well. We are getting together for drinks first, so maybe we will all walk out with new tats. And at the restaurant hubby was looking at the other ladies wrist bones, yes, we all got them but some stick out more and are different shapes.

It's raining again for the third day straight, and my roof is leaking. Been calling all morning for help getting the new roof on once the supplies arrive in the mail. Everyone still sleeping. Left messages, maybe since it's church day they will think about it more. Should have gotten this done sooner. Now I am worried about mold developing. Life sucks, life is great, life sucks, life is great... At least people love us and we won't have to pay labor costs on the roof. They say, just tell us what you need... I need a new roof right now.

The chicken people started talking to me. We're talking chicken. Having fun, just trolling about chickens. Someone said "that's odd", but no one has called me out yet. I was telling the truth so maybe that's not trolling. Someone else told me not to be so obsessive about it. Also found an art site where people are interpreting zentangles, joined in there, so maybe you all will get a break from me.

The chicken people started talking to me. We're talking chicken. Having fun, just trolling about chickens. Someone said "that's odd", but no one has called me out yet. I was telling the truth so maybe that's not trolling. Someone else told me not to be so obsessive about it. Also found an art site where people are interpreting zentangles, joined in there, so maybe you all will get a break from me.
I hope not. You are one of the more interesting people on here.

So, I have two gallons of whole milk and the materials to make the following kinds of cheese. Opinions?
1. Large curd cottage cheese.
2. Feta
3. Monterey Jack
4. Farmhouse Cheddar
5. Gouda
6. Colby
7. Parmesan

I hope not. You are one of the more interesting people on here.

Well, thank you. The chicken people and zentangle people seem to like me too now. I'm so confused. Now an old friend is coming into town from Macon, Georgia. Wants to get together but I can't do that, it will lead to something that hubby can't forgive. I told him no and turned my phone off. Life is so complicated. I wish more men could separate friendship from sex. Would love to see him, but not the way he's been talking. Men....

I've know plenty of people, both men and women, who either couldn't or wouldn't control there libidos. It always struck me as kind of pathetic.

Hmm, autolysis. It's a much more complicated subject then I initially thought. More interesting too.

I'm sure we've all heard both sides of the argument. Don't leave your brew on the yeast or autolysis will ruin it, followed pretty much immediately buy a comment stating that autolysis in homebrew is a myth. The truth is turning out to be way more interesting.

I have never understood why some people cannot control their libido either. Really kind of sad to think that their life is controlled by sex instead of being in control of their life.

Is anyone else watching the show The Bible on the history channel I think. While I am not religious nor even believe in a god I have read the bible and have been enjoying the show. Kind of odd because I have not really been keen on TV for the last few years other than for a background noise but I have enjoyed The Bible and The Vikings

I have never understood why some people cannot control their libido either. Really kind of sad to think that their life is controlled by sex instead of being in control of their life.

Is anyone else watching the show The Bible on the history channel I think. While I am not religious nor even believe in a god I have read the bible and have been enjoying the show. Kind of odd because I have not really been keen on TV for the last few years other than for a background noise but I have enjoyed The Bible and The Vikings
Wait, there are people going viking in the bible?

My phone is still turned off and I'm pretty pissed at my "friend". The chicken people said I have some Rhode Island Reds and some Barred Rocks. The little pecker they say looks like a male... figures.... I wish more men were like you guys, just nice. :rockin:

Eh, we're not that nice. But we are civilized at least. I've got some Barred Rocks and a couple Winedots. This was taken before I beat them senseless.

image-3030970627.jpg

It's interesting how so many homebrewers make cheese and have chickens. I don't have chickens, because where I live it's not allowed. If I could I would, though!

Stauffbier said:
It's interesting how so many homebrewers make cheese and have chickens. I don't have chickens, because where I live it's not allowed. If I could I would, though!

And engineers! I'm not, but I am a machinist. You would think that if you're an engineer, you make your own beer, cheese, and raise chickens that you're a pretty original guy. Nope, we've got 5000 more just like ya ;)

For the record women aren't any better.

Bobbi, I think I see cock fighting in your future. How's little jerry seinfeld doing?

Dealing with the opposite sex, maybe if I were a man, women would be hard to deal with. All the little chicks are happy now, I've been playing with them, 2 at a time. Playing with them tires them out, makes them sleepy and docile. Little Jerry is doing fine.

Talked to my son about the annoying guy, my former friend. My son took care of it, he was in the Navy. I said thanks to him and my son said no problem. Funny that I now have 2 grown children, never thought I'd see the day.

This is what I'm looking forward to, after another "nap". Tomorrow, it's not supposed to rain. I must have new roof, will make it happen very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, autolysis. It's a much more complicated subject then I initially thought. More interesting too.

I'm sure we've all heard both sides of the argument. Don't leave your brew on the yeast or autolysis will ruin it, followed pretty much immediately buy a comment stating that autolysis in homebrew is a myth. The truth is turning out to be way more interesting.

What do you think the truth is? Some of them may eat each other(cannibalism) but it will be fine and still make beer?

What do you think the truth is? Some of them may eat each other(cannibalism) but it will be fine and still make beer?
Oh definitely. I don't think there is actually much of a question in my mind that it's happening. More a matter of figuring out how to exert some control over the process so that it doesn't produce flavors that are unwanted.

It's done in a controlled fashion with aged champagne apparently. I may do some cider later and leave it on the lees to see what happens. I usually rack to secondary after a few weeks.

Oh definitely. I don't think there is actually much of a question in my mind that it's happening. More a matter of figuring out how to exert some control over the process so that it doesn't produce flavors that are unwanted.

It's done in a controlled fashion with aged champagne apparently. I may do some cider later and leave it on the lees to see what happens. I usually rack to secondary after a few weeks.

Wow, that's deep, controlled autolysis, but I see what you are saying, will it cause off flavors or is that a myth too? I guess it depends on your taste buds and if you can detect it. Some off flavors are not detectable by humans and some might be tasty. We are talking micro-organisms, well, I think that is what we are talking about. I never even took biology in school, well, I did until the taking apart the frog. Called my parents while crying my eyes out and mother got me out of the class, permanently, she said it was against our religion. I didn't know we belonged to a church, guess she only said it to get me out of class. Now, I will take an animal apart in order to eat it, but back then I didn't really realize where my food came from.

I think it's funny that a chicken people said "don't be so obsessive about it". I guess I am a chicken people now, also. I am giving my chicks fun and games. Tire them out and make them smarter. I don't much care for stupid animals. And I don't know what the frog story had to do with anything we were talking about. What were we talking about? Cannibalism in yeast?

If the yeasties are eating each other then they must have had a good reason.

Anyone else getting dumped on by snow? Looks like 6+ inches in the past 8 hrs.

We just had a few storms run through and dump a bunch of snow but it has melted off already. Kind of sucks because the ground is frozen so the water had nowhere to run and puddles are everywhere now

Yeast is a funny thing. Coopers was my go to yeast for a very long time. I used it in about everything just because I did not want to deal with a bunch of different pint jars in the fridge. That and Yooper telling me it tasted like dirt. I still do not get the dirt taste but I do get the kind of layered subdued kind of fruit taste with it

But I have seen the light now. I brewed a light beer with notty the other day and last night was 4 weeks in the bottle so I tried one. Man that has to be as close to a lager as you can get to with a ale yeast. Still a little bit green and needed time in the fridge but down right tasty :ban:

Happy brew day to you, happy brew day to you!

:ban:

When I was in 5th grade I moved to a new school and got an F in math. Because I didn't know how I got the answers. Teacher said half the grade is the answer and half is explaining how you got the answer. So I got a 50 on every test. I didn't know how I knew the answers, I just knew them. So mother got involved again, she was pissed. She made them give me real tests and after that I was shipped to the highschool for pre-algebra classes. 100%. I knew all those answers too. I only ended up going to school until 9th grade, then I felt like I was wasting my time. Explained to my parents that I wanted to make money from my art and I didn't need school to do that. Plus, there was nothing they could teach me that I couldn't learn quicker from a book. So they let me quit even though legally they were supposed to make me go until I was 16. Now I only make a little extra spending cash from my art CDs, because I don't really promote them and plus I got bored with it. I have gotten along fine without formal schooling, well, until hubby got sick and all the extra medical bills. But, we still have plenty of food and soon a new roof over our heads. It's a beautiful day and life is good. My new seeder will be here any day now and then I will plant my in-ground gardens. Hopefully this year, no hurricane will wipe everything out like it did last year. That was awful. Her name was Debby.

If the yeasties are eating each other then they must have had a good reason.

Anyone else getting dumped on by snow? Looks like 6+ inches in the past 8 hrs.
You mean like the Donner party?

Not anymore, that was Saturday. What is really funny is that the news coverage made it look like the city shut down. It didn't.

I'm heating up strike water for the first time in almost 2 months, and it feels great!

That is all...
Nice, I know how brewing deprived you have been. :mug:
Happy brew day to you, happy brew day to you!

:ban:

When I was in 5th grade I moved to a new school and got an F in math. Because I didn't know how I got the answers. Teacher said half the grade is the answer and half is explaining how you got the answer. So I got a 50 on every test. I didn't know how I knew the answers, I just knew them. So mother got involved again, she was pissed. She made them give me real tests and after that I was shipped to the highschool for pre-algebra classes. 100%. I knew all those answers too. I only ended up going to school until 9th grade, then I felt like I was wasting my time. Explained to my parents that I wanted to make money from my art and I didn't need school to do that. Plus, there was nothing they could teach me that I couldn't learn quicker from a book. So they let me quit even though legally they were supposed to make me go until I was 16. Now I only make a little extra spending cash from my art CDs, because I don't really promote them and plus I got bored with it. I have gotten along fine without formal schooling, well, until hubby got sick and all the extra medical bills. But, we still have plenty of food and soon a new roof over our heads. It's a beautiful day and life is good. My new seeder will be here any day now and then I will plant my in-ground gardens. Hopefully this year, no hurricane will wipe everything out like it did last year. That was awful. Her name was Debby.
Debby sounds mean.

Debby was evil, filled up the rain gauge every 30 minutes for a while there(holds 4 inches before it started splashing out). 18 inches of rain within 24 hours. Washed away all our blackberries when I was making $300 a day picking them(just counting the ones I picked). Sold them for $25 a gallon and 10 people could have picked for a week straight and still not get them all picked. The whole family was out picking, huge berries and it didn't take long to fill up a gallon, 20-30 minutes. Then Debby came and washed them all away, and not to mention the other crops. Also washed away our roof, shingles flying everywhere. Most evil ***** I ever met. We were flooded in for over a week. :mad:

You know Bobbi life is not that different here. We can get snowed in and lose power just like you can get flooded in from a hurricane. Me I kind of like those days or weeks as it may be.

It took me a while to catch up on the chicken magicians, cheese stretchers, inflatable dudes and the evil ***** named Debby.

Bobbi, this year you will have to brew a wheat and dump it on a bunch of those blackberries in the secondary. Have a nice blackberry wheat. I was going to last year but it was so dry there were no berries.

We have Amazon Prime and I recently discovered Instant Video. What a way to burn up some time. I've been watching Justified from the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember the last time I saw snow, probably 15 years.

What kind of art do you make, BobbiLynn?

Right now I'm into paper as a medium, but I love fabric and yarn too. This one is called memories of summer. Made from torn and folded paper and glue. The CDs I released last year are to teach making greeting cards. I've made wedding dresses, soft sculpted dolls. Whatever I feel like doing. The last attachments are from my Christmas CD, instructions and patterns to make them on the CD. Printable greeting goes with it, but it's printed right on the card in the sample. That one says "Christmas is a time for.... building friendships. Then my cat design also made with folded paper, that one says "Walking in a winter wonderland". Did the designs and made up the sayings myself, I never copy anyone.

memoriesofsummer.jpg

framedmemoriesofsummer.jpg

snowmanbuildingsnowman_sample.jpg

cat_walking_sample.jpg

I've seen snow in Florida...nothing like this though. Pic from this morning of the what fell last evening/night. Under that white crap is a where I left my smoker.

ForumRunner_20130325_140522.jpg

BobbiLynn said:
I don't remember the last time I saw snow, probably 15 years.

Right now I'm into paper as a medium, but I love fabric and yarn too. This one is called memories of summer. Made from torn and folded paper and glue. The CDs I released last year are to teach making greeting cards. I've made wedding dresses, soft sculpted dolls. Whatever I feel like doing. The last attachments are from my Christmas CD, instructions and patterns to make them on the CD. Printable greeting goes with it, but it's printed right on the card in the sample. That one says "Christmas is a time for.... building friendships. Then my cat design also made with folded paper, that one says "Walking in a winter wonderland". Did the designs and made up the sayings myself, I never copy anyone.

Very cool! My wife is crafty like that too. I really like the paper folding technique you've used in the cards.

Well, maybe I did take the walking one from a song, but didn't copy anyone's greeting card design to go with it....

On craigslist today, someone was giving away free snowman kits. He said just bring your own shovel. :cross:

Back