I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, I'm not really that upset. I'm just annoyed that the guy who is supposed to be helping me get this stuff done got stuck doing other things. He can only run this stuff maybe two days a week. I just came into work today and said screw it. If they won't get me any help, I'll dig us out of this hole by myself then. /rant

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-Sahfy7Hg"]Head Like A Hole[/ame]

Goodnight everybody. Sleep well.

My dog Walnut says "Hello"!

Looks a bit like my papillon

Dry sugar also does not go bad, unless it gets wet.

This is true, but dry sugar doesn't really exist in nature. There are actually a lot of foods that won't spoil, but nearly all of them are because we made them like that; honey is the only one that's all-natural, unrefined, and unprocessed. And that's because, if you want to get really technical, honey IS a refined and processed foodstuff - it's just that it happens to be done by bees instead of humans.

Trying to work out an order. Extract kits are on sale and if I just buy those my total will be 91.96. Now if I buy the stuff to make the exact same beer, same amount, but all grain, my total comes to 86.92. Only a little cheaper, more work, but this option leaves me with over twice as much spent grain to dry out as chicken feed. Extract kits are tempting, but will probably go with the all grain. Decisions, decisions.

I guess I live in a great place in the world because all grain is way cheaper for me than extract. I took a friend in to the LHBS and he bought 2 batches of extract and paid over 50 bucks for them and they were small batches I mean like for a MR Beer thing.

The exact kits are on sale almost half off, that's why it's so tempting to just buy them and also why the prices are so close. These kits are a partial mash and plenty of hops.

After doing a extract kit finally I would cough up the little bit more to shave tons of time on brew day. Of course I drink during brew day so perhaps that would get in the way of my drinking or I would have to step up the drinking a notch :D

As far as the grains go a little bit goes a long ways with chickens I have found. Been to cold here to dry them out so I just freeze it and give it to a buddy whenever he wants and I am light years ahead of his chickens.

Sigh the wife just informed me that I have the honor of cleaning the garage today

It's easy to find grain on sale or group buys in the fall. As much as you've been brewing bobbi, I would start thinking about stocking up for the whole year come this fall. You're going to buy it sooner or later, so why not all at once while it's cheap? And it sounds like you can partly justify that cost by supplementing your chicken feed. These last couple of years I've spent about $300-$350 (per year) for everything I need to keep me in beer.

Hard decision, but I think I am going to grab the kits while they are on sale. Lots of gardening and farming to get started on. Going to be busy with that through the summer(berry time). Only a few extra bucks and I'll save a bunch of time. I'll just get the kits.

It's easy to find grain on sale or group buys in the fall. As much as you've been brewing bobbi, I would start thinking about stocking up for the whole year come this fall. You're going to buy it sooner or later, so why not all at once while it's cheap? And it sounds like you can partly justify that cost by supplementing your chicken feed. These last couple of years I've spent about $300-$350 (per year) for everything I need to keep me in beer.

Yeah, I do need to get in on some group buys, buy it when it's cheap. I know I am paying way too much for my grain and I need to fix that.

After doing a extract kit finally I would cough up the little bit more to shave tons of time on brew day. Of course I drink during brew day so perhaps that would get in the way of my drinking or I would have to step up the drinking a notch :D

As far as the grains go a little bit goes a long ways with chickens I have found. Been to cold here to dry them out so I just freeze it and give it to a buddy whenever he wants and I am light years ahead of his chickens.

Sigh the wife just informed me that I have the honor of cleaning the garage today

I didn't see this post before deciding on the kits, but now I am completely sure it's the way to go. Thanks for the input. Good luck with the garage.

:mug:

Oh man, I used to smoke. We were poor poor, so coming up with tobacco was a trick. Cigs were very cheap (I remember thinking that if they ever got to a buck I'd quit). Still, when you don't have any money cheap isn't good enough. We'd occasionally score a can of Bugler, maybe after mowing some lawns or shoveling or selling costume jewelry - stuff like that.

My brother Chris and I would pull stubs from the ashtrays at the local playhouse or mall. You need to find places where people are in a hurry to get a few puffs then kill it - they leave some good ones. We'd get tons of them - an inch or so of cig left before it was stamped into the litter in the ashtray. You'd squirrel the thing back and forth to get the remaining tobacco out and into a paper, then roll it up in a zigzag (we did have a rolling machine). Woot! Sometimes we'd just re-light the stubs outside the playhouse, but often (because it was so short) we'd scorch our eyelashes and eyebrows with the lighter. I hate that smell of burning hair.

I remember scooping snow in pots, bringing inside to melt, then pouring it into the toilet tank so it could flush. We didn't have running water sometimes. Neighbors did, but not us. We were poor poor. If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow. Hah! I still have foodstamps from back then (I'm a stamp collector, so I just saved some of the bills my mom gave me).

Oh man, I used to smoke. We were poor poor, so coming up with tobacco was a trick. Cigs were very cheap (I remember thinking that if they ever got to a buck I'd quit). Still, when you don't have any money cheap isn't good enough. We'd occasionally score a can of Bugler, maybe after mowing some lawns or shoveling or selling costume jewelry - stuff like that.

My brother Chris and I would pull stubs from the ashtrays at the local playhouse or mall. You need to find places where people are in a hurry to get a few puffs then kill it - they leave some good ones. We'd get tons of them - an inch or so of cig left before it was stamped into the litter in the ashtray. You'd squirrel the thing back and forth to get the remaining tobacco out and into a paper, then roll it up in a zigzag (we did have a rolling machine). Woot! Sometimes we'd just re-light the stubs outside the playhouse, but often (because it was so short) we'd scorch our eyelashes and eyebrows with the lighter. I hate that smell of burning hair.

I remember scooping snow in pots, bringing inside to melt, then pouring it into the toilet tank so it could flush. We didn't have running water sometimes. Neighbors did, but not us. We were poor poor. If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow. Hah! I still have foodstamps from back then (I'm a stamp collector, so I just saved some of the bills my mom gave me).

I remember getting a couple of quarters and running to the bowling alley to buy a pack of smokes from a vending machine. Different time back then for sure.

Hehe and you could buy beer pretty much anywhere as long as you were driving and not on a bike. And now I roll my own smokes and brew my own beer. Not because I have to but because I can. Weird how life circles around on us huh

I remember getting a couple of quarters and running to the bowling alley to buy a pack of smokes from a vending machine. Different time back then for sure.

Hehe and you could buy beer pretty much anywhere as long as you were driving and not on a bike. And now I roll my own smokes and brew my own beer. Not because I have to but because I can. Weird how life circles around on us huh

hah, right, we used to stand right outside Open Pantry (think 7-11) and get someone to buy us quarts of miller. I must have been around 15. We'd sit down inside the culvert pipe that ran under the road (we had a pallet skid in there that kept us over any running water - with a Hibachi grill on it for heat) and drink our quarts and smoke them if we had them. Man those were the days. Of course, you could buy smokes at any age then.

I don't smoke any more though. As much as I really loved it, I quit cold turkey in a trade for something better. I never reneg on a deal: I'll never touch another one, but I do miss it sometimes. Fishing is hard without the smokes.

I have 3 kids, 15/18/21, their lives have been very different. I guess that's the way things go. Cyclical. Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel.

Growing up we had an outhouse( a 2-seater) when it seemed like everyone else had running water. Food was a luxury at times. Sometimes on our farm the food was plenty, other times us kids would have to go out foraging for food if we wanted to eat. It makes me mad sometimes when people say they don't like certain foods. Sure, some I like more than others, but pretty much, I'll eat damn near anything. I consider all picky eaters to be spoiled brats, no matter their age. They don't even know the meaning of just quit complaining and eat your dinner, could be the last meal for a while. They don't know what it's like to be hungry and there is no food. We lived out in the middle of nowhere and didn't have regular access to grocery stores, let alone food stamps. Fuel cost too much to get to town.

BL, PP and VM,
I sure do understand. I remember first electricity, running water and after we moved into the city, I remember seeing color TV the first time - damn that was exciting to us kids. I even remember what we watched, it was at a relatives house and they were watching football, we wrere mezmerized, Mom and Dad had a heck of a time getting us to leave.

hah, right, we used to stand right outside Open Pantry (think 7-11) and get someone to buy us quarts of miller. I must have been around 15. We'd sit down inside the culvert pipe that ran under the road (we had a pallet skid in there that kept us over any running water - with a Hibachi grill on it for heat) and drink our quarts and smoke them if we had them. Man those were the days. Of course, you could buy smokes at any age then.

I don't smoke any more though. As much as I really loved it, I quit cold turkey in a trade for something better. I never reneg on a deal: I'll never touch another one, but I do miss it sometimes. Fishing is hard without the smokes.

I have 3 kids, 15/18/21, their lives have been very different. I guess that's the way things go. Cyclical. Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel.

I had a humidor series IPA the other night and after more than 15 years without a cigarette, the taste smacked me right in the face! Fortunately it didn't strike any cravings to light one up, but it was still an eye opener after all that time.

Times were different back in the 80's - I can remember buying beer ever since I had my license and could drive somewhere without my parents. I only remember being challenged once and I said okay, your lost sale and started to leave. The clerk stopped me and said he'd sell me this "once." Times have most definitely changed (and not for the worse in this case.)

In honor of the theme you've started PP, I offer this up:

[ame="http://youtu.be/vpFIw_CngUE"]http://youtu.be/vpFIw_CngUE[/ame]

I don't want to give you guys the impression that being poor was a burden on me. I don't remember ever being hungry (not sure why tho, there were 9 kids in my family). We were relatively happy. I'm not wailing the blues here.

One thing I know, kids in poor families get the hell out as soon as the bus shows up. None of us hung around past the age of 18 or so. I was gone at 17. I dropped out of HS and headed to NY for work.

Man sitting here remembering my youth and realizing how much it has molded my life. For instance we never had pop as a kid. But whenever we would go up into the hills getting firewood dad would bring a 6 pack of soda for us. To this day I still love a grape Nehi soda. And since it was up in the hills I just love to go up into the wild places now as a adult.

Dad would never take a car into the shop but fix it himself. When I got my first car and I needed a clutch he simply said tear it apart and if you get stuck I will come and help. That attitude that you should not fear the unknown but learn from it has helped me many times in my life.

I could go on and on with things that have shaped my life that happened as a kid. But as I sit here remembering these things I am thinking that I need to pass things on to my kid much like they were passed on to me. Some of the lessons were tough and some joyful and I relish remembering them all and I am glad that I lived through those things

Man sitting here remembering my youth and realizing how much it has molded my life. For instance we never had pop as a kid. But whenever we would go up into the hills getting firewood dad would bring a 6 pack of soda for us. To this day I still love a grape Nehi soda. And since it was up in the hills I just love to go up into the wild places now as a adult.

Dad would never take a car into the shop but fix it himself. When I got my first car and I needed a clutch he simply said tear it apart and if you get stuck I will come and help. That attitude that you should not fear the unknown but learn from it has helped me many times in my life.

I could go on and on with things that have shaped my life that happened as a kid. But as I sit here remembering these things I am thinking that I need to pass things on to my kid much like they were passed on to me. Some of the lessons were tough and some joyful and I relish remembering them all and I am glad that I lived through those things

Soda? It was "pop" in Ohio, and it was for Saturday nights with popcorn and TV. Remember shaking the popcorn pan?

We drank unsweetened tea all day when I was a kid. My mom was a big tea drinker. And milk, but we used milk from powder and it was not great.

I don't want to give you guys the impression that being poor was a burden on me. I don't remember ever being hungry (not sure why tho, there were 9 kids in my family). We were relatively happy. I'm not wailing the blues here.

One thing I know, kids in poor families get the hell out as soon as the bus shows up. None of us hung around past the age of 18 or so. I was gone at 17. I dropped out of HS and headed to NY for work.

Hmm, I was 15 when I quit school and also headed to NY for work. I wanted to be a costume designer for movie sets but that didn't work out. Too young and no one took me seriously. Lied about my age and started bartending. Although by that age, there was always food on the table back at home. Hadn't always been that way though. I do know what it's like to not be able to sleep because of the hunger pangs.

Soda? It was "pop" in Ohio, and it was for Saturday nights with popcorn and TV. Remember shaking the popcorn pan?

We drank unsweetened tea all day when I was a kid. My mom was a big tea drinker. And milk, but we used milk from powder and it was not great.

Where in Ohio did you grow up? I was in a burb of Cincy until I turned 11 and then we moved an hour west (in the middle of no where.) After the move we were definitely house poor and had SOS once a week, drank the powdered milk as well and pop was a very rare treat!

Oh heck yes I remember shaking the pan and drinking OJ while watching TV on Sunday afternoon. I still love those old Disney shows :D

Funny thing happened last week at beer and cigar night. One of they guys I drink with brought his son over. Not the kid must be 25 so still pretty much wet behind the ears yet but he brought one of those prepackaged popcorn deals that comes in a tin pan that you shake over the stove. He popped it over the fire we built in the garage and thought it was just cool.

Yet again the circle of life coming around :mug:

Remember those jeans from sears that would never wear out. Being a middle child I never ever got a new pair of pants but got hand downs and they were always those super tough pants. Hard as hell to walk in and made a funny noise but dang they were tough.

I do not remember ever going to bed hungry as a kid. But I do remember saying no to dinner and then getting it served to me for breakfast the next day. Waste not want not was repeated pretty often as a kid growing up :mug:

Where in Ohio did you grow up? I was in a burb of Cincy until I turned 11 and then we moved an hour west (in the middle of no where.) After the move we were definitely house poor and had SOS once a week, drank the powdered milk as well and pop was a very rare treat!

Maumee, then Toledo, then we lost our house and were on the road. SOS was great, still enjoy it (thank you marine corps). When we were really poor my mom used to make lentil soup, then dry the remaining soup and make sandwiches.

I'm an expert at robbing pay phone booths by the way. Helped keep our family afloat in San Jose that way. Broken glass and a butterknife and establish a circuit of phones and your golden. Self-taught and not proud. I had small children in the family in our motor home (Jesse, Liz), what can I say. But I did work at a diner, took that home too, so I was ligit. You guys/gals who were in that position might now something about everyone putting everything int he common pot, trying to survive. We went to California like the Joads, just like the Joads.

Same here - big pot with a heavy bottom. We were always envious when we went to our cousin's house - they had the big yellow electric popper ... the one with the reservoir at the top where you put the butter so it would melt onto the popcorn as it popped...

mcbaumannerb said:
Same here - big pot with a heavy bottom. We were always envious when we went to our cousin's house - they had the big yellow electric popper ... the one with the reservoir at the top where you put the butter so it would melt onto the popcorn as it popped...

Ha! I had that one growing up. I'd love to find another one somewhere. It was exactly as you described. I'm pretty sure it had a cream base with a yellow plastic hood, and a little tin dish that sat in the top for the butter to melt.

To keep in line with everyone else's childhood memories, we grew everything we could growing up. We grew our own popcorn. I have great memories of shucking corn till my hands were numb. Can't be too many kids that do that now. These ones are doing it in style.
http://youtu.be/lbT8wvEEc-U

Ha! I had that one growing up. I'd love to find another one somewhere. It was exactly as you described. I'm pretty sure it had a cream base with a yellow plastic hood, and a little tin dish that sat in the top for the butter to melt.

To keep in line with everyone else's childhood memories, we grew everything we could growing up. We grew our own popcorn. I have great memories of shucking corn till my hands were numb. Can't be too many kids that do that now. These ones are doing it in style.

Hot air popper, right? I wonder what happened to those. They seem like the ideal popper.

My brother and I used to fish on this road where a stream crossed under it. It was in the middle of a corn field. When we got hungry, we'd eat the sweet corn right off the stalk. Delicious. To this day I eat all my vegetables raw (beans, corn, potatoes I eat like apples) and my wife doesn't understand. She thinks I'l get worms!

They're not shucking corn ;)

Uncooked potatoes are actually slightly toxic but as long as you're not eating a ton of it you should be fine. I eat the occasional piece.

Hot air popper, right? I wonder what happened to those. They seem like the ideal popper.

My brother and I used to fish on this road where a stream crossed under it. It was in the middle of a corn field. When we got hungry, we'd eat the sweet corn right off the stalk. Delicious. To this day I eat all my vegetables raw (beans, corn, potatoes I eat like apples) and my wife doesn't understand. She thinks I'l get worms!

No, the one I'm talking about used a couple tablespoons of oil in the base. And it had a wire that circled the base (think hands on a clock) to stir the kernels as they heated.

Worms! Hard to believe that myth still lives.

My brother Chris and I would pull stubs from the ashtrays at the local playhouse or mall. You need to find places where people are in a hurry to get a few puffs then kill it - they leave some good ones. We'd get tons of them - an inch or so of cig left before it was stamped into the litter in the ashtray. You'd squirrel the thing back and forth to get the remaining tobacco out and into a paper, then roll it up in a zigzag (we did have a rolling machine). Woot! Sometimes we'd just re-light the stubs outside the playhouse, but often (because it was so short) we'd scorch our eyelashes and eyebrows with the lighter. I hate that smell of burning hair..
I used to do the exact same thing with cig butts when I was young. I also grew up very poor. We used to even stick a used filter in the end of the zigzag paper so we could have "filtered handrolled cigs".

Standing outside of stores, asking adults to buy us beer was another thing we did. We went big, though. We would ask people to get us kegs. It worked 9 out of 10 times. The same store would sell us cigs without an adult. I was about 15 at the time. I also quit smoking back in 2000. I did it for my daughter, as she had very bad alergies. She was about 8 years old then. I raised her by myself from the age of 5 due to divorce. I wanted to be a "good single father", so I figured quitting cigs was a must!
I had a humidor series IPA the other night and after more than 15 years without a cigarette, the taste smacked me right in the face! Fortunately it didn't strike any cravings to light one up, but it was still an eye opener after all that time.

Slightly off of your topic, but 12 years after quitting cigs I decided to try smoking a cigar. I really used to enjoy a good stogie. I was scared to even try for many years. I actually didn't have any problems with cravings when I tried it. I still enjoy one every once in a while, but I enjoy a pipe even more. I've really taken to the pipe in the last few months.

Uncooked potatoes are actually slightly toxic but as long as you're not eating a ton of it you should be fine. I eat the occasional piece.

I had no idea. It was pretty common to grab a raw spud and eat it though as a kid. Did the same with onions and to this day I still eat a bit of the onion whenever I cook with them

Back