I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone remember the Christmas carol spoof from the early 90s "Walking Round in Women's Underwear?"

*sings* In accounting there's a guy named Melvin. He pretends that I am Murphy Broooowwwwwn.

I've done over 300 different card making designs, also love to draw and paint. Hubby keeps saying I should open a little shop, host card making classes and teaching people techniques. I love 3D decoupage as well. About once a month I go to our local retirement home and teach classes on a volunteer basis. The ladies and even the men really enjoy it. They arrange for college kids to aid me in the classes. It's a lot of fun but I'm not allowed to take pictures. Too bad, there are some very colorful characters.

Bobbi, this year you will have to brew a wheat and dump it on a bunch of those blackberries in the secondary. Have a nice blackberry wheat. I was going to last year but it was so dry there were no berries.

I have been thinking about how to brew with the berries. All the rain we've had, we should have more berries than ever. We also have wild blueberries. The blackberries are all wild too, they love growing under our 15 acres of planted pines. And they also grow in other places, probably 25 or more acres of blackberries when they are in season. All this rain we've had, we should have a monster crop this year.

I have been thinking about how to brew with the berries. All the rain we've had, we should have more berries than ever. We also have wild blueberries. The blackberries are all wild too, they love growing under our 15 acres of planted pines. And they also grow in other places, probably 25 or more acres of blackberries when they are in season. All this rain we've had, we should have a monster crop this year.
Hmm, blackberry wine? I'd love to do some, but unless you are picking your own berries it's cost prohibitive. It will be a few years before my blackberries yield enough to make wine with.

You could also do a blackberry sour, or a melomel. Though I would suggest seeing if you can source some local wild honey for a the melomel.

Nice art Bobbi! You could definitely sell that!

So, I'm on the last 10 minutes of a 45 minute flame out hop stand, and then It's time to chill it up!

I'm pretty beat, since during the mash I took my mom to get a bunch of boulders for her landscape. Between that and all the lifting for brewing My back is barking at me!

Nice art Bobbi! You could definitely sell that!

So, I'm on the last 10 minutes of a 45 minute flame out hop stand, and then It's time to chill it up!

I'm pretty beat, since during the mash I took my mom to get a bunch of boulders for her landscape. Between that and all the lifting for brewing My back is barking at me!
Well no wonder. You use the bark in landscaping, not on your back. :tank:

In accounting there's a guy named Melvin.

I'm not sure why but I want to hear more about Melvin in the accounting department. Hubby is a big burly bearded guy but I do love me a nerd. Hubby hasn't lost his beard from the chemo, it got curlier though. I think it's adorable. Also not so big and burly anymore, but that's fine with me too.

I planted more lima beans in pots today. I love them cooked with onions and smoked sausage. Ever tried it?

Maybe I am an Internet troll, but is it trolling when it's true? On the chicken site hubby just rolled his eyes when he saw what I posted. He said leave the chicks alone, what you are doing is just weird. He knows I really was typing with my chick. And I really do wonder what he'll say when he is big enough to depress the keys. We are going to meet one of the chicken people later this week. Someone local welcomed us to the site so hubby asked him for his phone number. Bugged him about it until he gave out his number. Hubby says "He said contact him anytime but now acting like he doesn't want to give out his number!" Now who is the weird one. I'm going to teach my chick to type, he likes it and seems very interested.

If I was on the Jodi Arias jury, I would find her not guilty just to see what shade of red Juan Martinez's face turns when he hears the news. Maybe his face would explode. That would be awesome.

I got called for jury duty one time but was disqualified. Eeny, meeny, miney, mo, catch a tigger by the toe.... is he guilty or is he not, well, just see where my finger lands. My attention span is too short to be a juror.

Since it's quiet right now, I guess I won't be interrupting if I continue to ramble about nothingness. I have started offering advice to the chicken people. And hubby gave the chicks a sand box to play in. We are both quick learners, reading all about them. I wonder if the chickens will end up being as crazy as we are, probably. My dog is still pissed and won't even look at them.

Big John is available for sale if anyone is interested. You can PM me and we'll keep it discreet. Hubby and my nephew don't want to post him for sale under our craigslist or ebay accounts. Car parts, rusty old stuff and Big John. I'll probably take 30 bucks for him, he's vintage. It says on the box that he holds 250 pounds, but I haven't been able to get him to lift a finger. Maybe I should go blow him up.

Okay, here he is in all his blown up glory. Hubby said, "I hope you do not plan on posting that picture online, people will think you are a weirdo". Followed by "If you don't get that thing out of the living room, I'm going to take a knife to him". Big John. And people already know I'm a weirdo. Hubby killed that hog in the background and we ate him. Hubby thinks he was made to be a woman's toy and didn't understand the mouth thing. He said "It's a man, of course he was made for a woman!". I said well, why does he have an innie then and hubby said probably an attachment is supposed to go there. Hmmm...

bigjohn.jpg

Okay, here he is in all his blown up glory. Hubby said, "I hope you do not plan on posting that picture online, people will think you are a weirdo". Followed by "If you don't get that thing out of the living room, I'm going to take a knife to him". Big John. And people already know I'm a weirdo. Hubby killed that hog in the background and we ate him. Hubby thinks he was made to be a woman's toy and didn't understand the mouth thing. He said "It's a man, of course he was made for a woman!". I said well, why does he have an innie then and hubby said probably an attachment is supposed to go there. Hmmm...

Knife huh? So now we know what your Hubby nicknamed his peep.

Words, what are the words...

I give up.

I really want to try out using sweet potatoes, that's something I can grow easily.

I have decided that for the sake of all things good and holy in our humble home, and since there have been no takers, Big John should be returned to his rightful owner. I have a first and last name but no phone number or address... yet. It will be like a blast from the past. He's been missing since 1985. His owner will be so happy to see him again. Here you go, you left this at my place back in the 80s.

Dang, we need to get past that last page, Big John is scary. Today my new hand pushed seeder came in the mail and I planted a bunch of basil. That will start attracting beneficial organisms to my garden, while I get ready to plant the rest. Cleaned out the chicken box and rearranged their stuff. Their favorite toy is the sand box, and next favorite is hanging string. I think I'll go ask the chicken people what their chicks favorite toys are, get some ideas on new toys for them. Happy chickens do taste better. Also transferred an IPA for some dry hopping.

Well I am starting a mead today. I got tons and tons of honey that has gone black I say. I still use it for bread and it is fine so I figure what the heck it might work for mead.

Going to try a joam but I do not have a cinnamon stick but I do have powdered so I will put a little in...Oh I do not have a orange either but I do have mandarins I will use instead. But hey I got the raisins so I am golden :rockin:

Isn't honey one of the things that is supposed to never go bad, at least not in a lifetime. Seems like hubby told me that and I believed him when he wanted to use black honey, can't remember what he made but it was good and we didn't get sick.

Well already screwed up. Supposed to use 3 1/2 pounds honey but only used 3 pounds.

I have heard honey never goes bad. I have been using the black stuff for bread and it has been fine so I am not worried

Just found this on about.com:

Cool because I am done making the mead. Seriously disappointing though making it. You just put some stuff in a milk jug shake it all up and walk away pretty much.

By the way my wife made me put another half pound of honey in it. I guees it is her mead now :D

Big John looks like little John to me ;) Maybe it's supposed to be a mock up of Bucky Larson :confused:

Well, I got my Dad's water line mended today. Luckily I found a piece of plywood big enough to almost cover the hole before all the snow hit (actually as the snow hit). We got about 7 or 8 inches here. It was a little mucky in there, but not bad. Finally found some good parts that got the job done. I tried getting some hose barbs from the big chain hardware stores and they were too slim. Like a hotdog in a hallway. I was poppin clamps right and left and couldn't get it to seal. Got a little Mom and Pop store here that usually has hard to find items and they had the good stuff. Expensive, but for me it was priceless. I had to torch the plastic pipe a little to push these on and it was still quite a feat. In fact, once I got the first one on, I had to tamp in the second one with a hammer (elbow fitting). Now I just have to wait for the snow to melt and the dirt pile to dry out a little so I can shovel it back in.

Good news is, it looks like luck is turning back in my direction. Tapped a fresh keg of pale ale when I got home (been on the gas for about a month now) and it is money. Checked the weather and it's going to come up into the 50's in a day or two. Won't be long and I'll be slayin some crappie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love dogs. Has anyone seen that comercial where a married couple is compromising on things they both want and it results in a pink monster truck and a cat that barks like a dog? That $hit cracked me up.

First, I now have Big John's image burned into my brain and then there is this....

....Big John is scary. Today my new hand pushed seeder came in the mail....

I don't k now about the rest of you, but it took me a minute to get past this new disturbing image happening.

Oh, wait, your talking about a tool to be used out in the garden not, well let's not go there.

:ban::ban::ban:

Big John shall haunt my dreams tonight and in a bad way. Bobbi I do not express to often negative things but that thing is just wrong. I fear I do not have enough beer to wipe that out of my head

Well I put the mead above the fridge which happens to be about the warmest spot in the house and I shall forget it for 3 months I guess. I have to say on a nappy scale it is looking pretty nappy. I sure hope it clears up some

It will. The fruit and raisins will drop and you will be able to read a newspaper through it. Did you use the bread yeast or a wine yeast. I make two side by side batches. One with the bread yeast and one with D47. The bread yeast batch made a mess out of the airlock for the first day or two. Here is the initial receipes and pics: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/show-us-your-mead-photo-294571/index22.html#post4019622

The D47 turned out "hot" and slightly bitter at the three month period and the bread yeast was very drinkable. Both have mellowed and matured since then.

I used the bread yeast and it is hopping already. Looks god awful right now though since I used really old black honey. When I say old I am thinking 50 plus years :cross:

Going to be interesting I suspect

BL, whatever you do, do not name your chickens. It will make it much harder to cut their heads off.

I used the bread yeast and it is hopping already. Looks god awful right now though since I used really old black honey. When I say old I am thinking 50 plus years :cross:

Going to be interesting I suspect
I would bet that if you give it six months or so, and you normally enjoy mead, that it will knock your sox off. I've found that the older the honey is, the more intense the honey flavor. Even after fermentation.

Dry sugar also does not go bad, unless it gets wet.

I worked for eleven hours and fourty-nine minutes today. My work will kick you out right as you get to twelve hours. So, I won't be posting much tonight. I will probably be working the same kind of schedule for the next week or so, plus an extra four to six hours on my days off.:(

Bummer LG, that's a tough shift D: what sort of work do you do?
Paperwork for Dish. I came into work this morning to find 1755 requests for documents that were supposed to be completed 9 days ago. Cute huh? Well, it's extra money for me.

Back