How to splice in a Stc-1000 to my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynapse

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm building a keezer and am interested in running an Stc-1000 inline to replace the thermostat for better accuracy. I'm attaching a pic of the wiring diagram, would anyone be able to give details how to do this? I'm competent with electrical and built the Stc-1000 fermentation control box, but for this I would rather buy another one.

Thanks in advance!

2vxg4jt.jpg

Lol all these threads about splicing their freezer ..dont worry about the freezer or its circuitry you dont need to alter it. I think all of the threads about modifying your fridges thermostat are confusing people. You only do that so you dont need a STC1000, and its not always going to work for all freezers.

You create a STC1000 and with a socket that you plug your freezer into...no modification to the freezer required.

Lol all these threads about splicing their freezer ..dont worry about the freezer or its circuitry you dont need to alter it. I think all of the threads about modifying your fridges thermostat are confusing people. You only do that so you dont need a STC1000, and its not always going to work for all freezers.

You create a STC1000 and with a socket that you plug your freezer into...no modification to the freezer required.
I would agree that there is confusion concerning the STC1000 and how to best implement it into a given project. However, imo, there are equally valid reasons for using it as an external or an internal controller. An electrical novice will have more difficulty with the internal option.

The OP claims to have an electrical competency. While that doesn't fit with the apparent inability to figure out this simple circuit modification, I'll give him/her the benefit of the doubt. It appears that an internal installation is desired.

Cynapse: The cooling switch at terminals 7 & 8 of the STC1000 will replace the schematic component labeled SAT. Disconnect the wires from SAT and extend those wires to terminals 7 & 8. Terminals 1 & 2 will need power from the incoming source in the lower right of the schematic. L is hot and N is neutral. Find a location to tap or splice into these wires and connect to terminals 1 & 2. If any of this paragraph doesn't make sense, then I recommend you build another external STC1000 box and just plug the freezer into it.

Thanks, raouliii. Yes, an internal installation is desired, I have already built an external Stc box with plugs but want this one internal.

When I said electrical competency, I meant I know my way around wiring house plugs, garage doors, building PCs, but not necessarily reading schematics and understanding where splicing and interrupts should occur. Your instructions are clear and I am confident I can wire it, thanks. :mug:

Why not just make it like every other STC but mount it inside your compressor area? Mine is big with a big ass opening, i could easily mount a STC and a outlet in an electrical gang box and then just plug the freezer into that and shove the whole thing in the back.

I guess i dont understand what "Internal" means, the entire point of the internal builds was to bypass the fridges sensors so you could get them set to a temperature without a STC...there is no such thing as an "Internal" STC1000 install...just wiring it into your fridge gives you nothing more than wiring it normally and plugging it in...it just depends what box you put it in if its external or internal...

What am i missing what is the point of wiring directly into the freezer?

Why not just make it like every other STC but mount it inside your compressor area? Mine is big with a big ass opening, i could easily mount a STC and a outlet in an electrical gang box and then just plug the freezer into that and shove the whole thing in the back.

I guess i dont understand what "Internal" means, the entire point of the internal builds was to bypass the fridges sensors so you could get them set to a temperature without a STC...there is no such thing as an "Internal" STC1000 install...just wiring it into your fridge gives you nothing more than wiring it normally and plugging it in...it just depends what box you put it in if its external or internal...

What am i missing what is the point of wiring directly into the freezer?
We'll have to disagree on that one. To me, "internal" means an installation with no receptacles and no project or electrical box. "Hardwired" is another good term. The STC1000 simply replaces the existing thermostat and all electrical connections are made within the existing wiring harness. It can result in a very clean install and doesn't involve having an extra component positioned on or around the fridge or freezer.

Here's one of my "internal" builds. No extra receptacles or boxes. Just a few wires.

5886-5280.jpg

Back