How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle (illustrated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming you used something bigger than a qtip. Did you have to change out the solution any or the etching tool? I found the qtip to get nasty and the wire to get really corroded just doing the gallon marks.

Used same solution for entire thing. Changed qtips often just to help keep it clean looking. Used 5 or 6 for it I think. Like I said was my first try and if it wasnt for there being small areas I would have preferred a larger application tool

Can someone post photos of the inside of their keggle w/etching?

Post # 354.........You are # 359.........It's a kettle, but the same effect on a keggle.

I am guessing that he wanted to see it on an actual keggle. But ultravista did you even look through the thread as there have been at least 2 keggles done :D

Did mine tonight.

SWswVBf.jpg

I started mine tonight...will add the numbers this weekend.

Sent from my One X using Home Brew mobile app
That last one you'll need to follow the post link
viewpost.gif
to see the photo

Mine isn't as pretty as some of you have, but it was very cool to get the marks on there. Super easy. I used an old wall wart and used painters tape to tape the negative end to the inside of the kettle near where I was working. Had some old number stickers sheets that I turned into stencils. For the main markings, I wanted to make them pretty consistent so I pulled off 7 2 inch strips of painters tape and stacked them right on top of each other. Then used an exacto knife and ruler to cut the gallon marker out of each. So they were the same size/shape and I only needed 1 piece of tape for each mark. Worked great!

Etched Kettle.jpg

Used same solution for entire thing. Changed qtips often just to help keep it clean looking. Used 5 or 6 for it I think. Like I said was my first try and if it wasnt for there being small areas I would have preferred a larger application tool

I also used about 6-7 of them. Was able to do about 2-3 marks/numbers with each qtip. Got all nasty but just pulled the wire out, painters taped to a new qtip, wrapped the end around the cotton area, dipped and went back to work. Each mark/number only takes about 1 minute of wiping the qtip over it back and forth slowly. Even the wife thought it was cool.

Great share. Thanks! My first batch was boiled yesterday....so this will be much easier than measuring 4 cups at a time. I saw the link to the carboy etching too....going to do that as well. I have been lurking for about 4 weeks getting all of the info in my head....found this info last night. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This worked way to easy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398971682.560069.jpg
Think I'll add some 1/2 gallon marks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Am I missing something or is there like no sizzle or anything just sorta a chlorine type smell? My q-tips didn't really gunk up am I doing somethin wrong?

Finally done my mash tun.

NewMashTun03_zps987928fa.jpg

I gave up on the 9V route. I got tired of the stiff wire popping the tape off the kettle and/or battery or not getting a good connection half the time. I grabbed my battery charger and used it. Went through a ****load of Qtips, but it got the job done!

Can't wait to break it in!

Finally done my mash tun.

NewMashTun03_zps987928fa.jpg

I gave up on the 9V route. I got tired of the stiff wire popping the tape off the kettle and/or battery or not getting a good connection half the time. I grabbed my battery charger and used it. Went through a ****load of Qtips, but it got the job done!

Can't wait to break it in!

How did you setup the battery charger YESFAN? Is your MT a keg?

Wait just a simple old cell phone charger will work? If so the 9v is done and that's the rout I'm going, how do you tell the negative wire to the positive

Wait just a simple old cell phone charger will work? If so the 9v is done and that's the rout I'm going, how do you tell the negative wire to the positive

You can use a cell phone charger as some here have done, but I used my car battery charger. I would dip the Q-tip into the salt/vinegar solution, then stick it into the negative (black) alligator clamp. Then clamp the read alligator clamp to the kettle. Worked like a charm!

Im doing the same thing as i did with my pot on my keggles but i am getting no results. Im getting the bubbling and everything but no results. HELP!

If the bubbling starts to turn yellow, you're good. With the tape on and everything, it may look like you're not etching, but the etched area will have more of a chalkish white look compared to the rest of the kettle.

Adding more salt to the vinegar seemed to help for me. I started with 1/4 tsp of salt to 1/4 cup of vinegar, but later added 2/3 more salt. I changed Qtips constantly. I stayed in the area I was etching until the bubbling turned yellow. I also stayed with the same Qtip until it turned brown. I also used a head lamp to light up the area I was etching.

did you adjust the voltage on the charger? Are you using a trickle charger or jumpers?

My charger has a switch for 2 amps or 6 amps. I tried the lowest amperage first, but didn't feel I was getting a good result, so I went up to 6 and left it. The voltage setting is fixed on my charger.

EDIT: My charger has the small mini "jumpers".
EDIT 2: My MT is stainless (no keggle)

If it were me, I would just start low and see what you get. If you like it, then great...if not, then you could bump up the voltage and see if that helps. Good luck!

Worked great for me! I first tried with a battery but then switched to an old wall wart I had laying around (5.7V). The wall wart worked much better.
Cheers! :mug:

Volume Markers1.jpg

Volume Markers Finished.jpg

Wow, this is such an awesome Idea. I'll be trying it out with my Battery minder I use for my motorcycle battery during the winter.

I used the method from the OP and it worked just fine and went fast. Did my 8 gallon pot now time to do my keggle

Do you think the amperage has anything to do with the process or is it the volts? Did you happen to take pictures of the process?

Is it agreed that if you wash the marks real good with OxyClean or BKF and let it sit for a week, it will keep them from rusting? The rust issue is the only thing stopping me from doing mine.

Mine hasn't rusted and it's just sitting in the garage in my brew area, no washing or anything but bkf should do the truck if that's what I read right up earlier in the thread

Mine hasn't rusted and it's just sitting in the garage in my brew area, no washing or anything but bkf should do the truck if that's what I read right up earlier in the thread

I just know that some people have experienced rusting on some of the kettles. My luck would be that mine does it

I just know that some people have experienced rusting on some of the kettles. My luck would be that mine does it

Stainless steel needs to repassivate. If you have real 304 or 316 stainless, everything I have read says just letting it sit in oxygen (air) for a week it will be fine. Mine has been sitting and through a water test with no rusting.

Back