How to add permanent volume markings to a kettle (illustrated)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve tried with no luck as well. What voltage power supply? Today’s safe battery charger just won’t energize without a true connection, and the 9 volt battery didn’t make a mark. Maybe I was wired up backasswards

I’ve tried with no luck as well. What voltage power supply? Today’s safe battery charger just won’t energize without a true connection, and the 9 volt battery didn’t make a mark. Maybe I was wired up backasswards

I couldn't get it to work either - fortunately I have a car battery charger that worked great! I used the black wire to clamp onto the handle of the pot.

I tried 2 of mine but they kept tripping the safety protection. Guess it’s supposed to protect the clowns from crossing terminals, but I want to burn my SS!

I tried 2 of mine but they kept tripping the safety protection. Guess it’s supposed to protect the clowns from crossing terminals, but I want to burn my SS!
I am assuming you are using a GFCI circuit. I think it would see this as leakage current and trip. Am I correct in assuming a GFCI?

That looks great! Do you recall the specs on the transformer you used? Also, have you attempted to clean over it with something like bar keepers friend?
Input: 120 vac 60mA
Output: 9 vac 200mA
I've cleaned it for 3 years with about everything homebrewers use and it is still there. I also just used barkeeper's friend and it didn't bother it. Also, I did a small test on the underside of one of our SS pot lids before I did my keg and it has been scrubbed with barkeeper's friend many times plus the dishwasher
IMG_20191030_132414.jpg
and it shows only very slight signs of wear.

I’m skeptical. I’ve robbed power supplies off old modems and nothing. Found one for a laptop but it was 24v DC. Not sure I want to experiment with that big girl

I’m skeptical. I’ve robbed power supplies off old modems and nothing. Found one for a laptop but it was 24v DC. Not sure I want to experiment with that big girl

if that was at me, i did make a clean spot with my car battery charger, 12v 2 amps.......just want it to be black...

I used 24 V DC and 4 A max to do my version of etching to get a nice relief.
A foam brush was my tool of choice.
074.JPG
100_4063.JPG

I tried this today with a 9 volt battery. I definitely got some etching but it's a lot harder to see than many of the examples here. I'll have to find a wall wart and maybe more salt and give it another try.

If you use DC it just etches and dulls the finish. So it shows up much better on highly polished SS. If you use an ac adapter (120AC to say 24 volts AC or less) The etching will be black and show up much better. Also, if you are etching on a site glass the metal encasement has a clear acrylic coating that must be sanded or dessolved off in order to conduct an electric current. As for the mixture a tablespoon of salt to a shot or so of vinegar, it's not a precise ratio.

Last edited:
I've just been directed to this thread, as I'm looking for a much smaller kettle than is usually sold with etched markings.

I'm wondering if something like this engraving tool would also work? A little overkill when everyone here seems to be using a 9v and a q-tip, but I'd have to purpose-buy the battery, wire and q-tip anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

The reviews on amazon seem to say that it works well for metal, but if anyone has a tool similar that can chime in how well it works on SS, that'd be swell!

I've just been directed to this thread, as I'm looking for a much smaller kettle than is usually sold with etched markings.

I'm wondering if something like this engraving tool would also work?
I have two 2-gallon IKEA pots that had black volume markings on them, likely electroplated. They've gotten dimmer with each cleaning and over time been polished out completely. I use (cheap, 10/$1) dollar store abrasive nylon scrubby pads, sometimes with some BKF. Engraving should hold up a bit better.

I've used an engraving ball like that on my dremel. It's very difficult to get straight lines and draw numbers, the tool tends to wander.

Markings are overrated, IMO. I measure volumes that go in, estimate boil off, and top up as needed. You can use a ruler or a marked dowel/stick you calibrated to your pot.

My main brew kettles have no markings. The 8 gallon one is 1.5 inch to the gallon. I use a ruler or measuring tape from the top, measuring the headspace height. Subtract.

I'm wondering if something like this engraving tool would also work? A little overkill when everyone here seems to be using a 9v and a q-tip, but I'd have to purpose-buy the battery, wire and q-tip anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

The reviews on amazon seem to say that it works well for metal, but if anyone has a tool similar that can chime in how well it works on SS, that'd be swell!

I guess it depends on your patience and artistic ability. I haven’t used that model specifically, but like @IslandLizard pointed out, that type of tool is difficult (for me, damn near impossible) to make straight lines (or repeatable curved ones). I use one for engraving hand tools with my name and such. Works like a charm, but I’m not really concerned with those aesthetics.....

I guess it depends on your patience and artistic ability. I haven’t used that model specifically, but like @IslandLizard pointed out, that type of tool is difficult (for me, damn near impossible) to make straight lines (or repeatable curved ones). I use one for engraving hand tools with my name and such. Works like a charm, but I’m not really concerned with those aesthetics.....

Do you think it'd work alright if I were using stencils? No way I'd try and freehand it, hah - I need a ruler just to think straight.

Lol, I know the feeling! That’s a definite maybe on the stencils though. My first thought is that the tool would simply veer off the stencil path with little problem. If you are going to buy stencils anyway, I’d suggest trying the etching method spelled out here first. It’s super cheap and easy to try!

This worked like a charm for me on my new kettle. Just followed as originally posted with a 9V battery on SS. I used painters' tape to lay out the marks, and free handed the numbers. Hardest part was finding a way to mark the kettle for each volume. I ended up using a black crayon from the kids' art supply drawer LOL
20200615_145637.jpg

This worked like a charm for me on my new kettle. Just followed as originally posted with a 9V battery on SS. I used painters' tape to lay out the marks, and free handed the numbers. Hardest part was finding a way to mark the kettle for each volume. I ended up using a black crayon from the kids' art supply drawer LOL
View attachment 685085

Nice job!

Etched my kettle last night. I used the 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt ratio and it didn't work. Bumped up the salt to 1 tablespoon and then it worked fine. Also used a 9 volt battery, some brake light wires from my trailer, and lots of black electrical tape. I'm happy with the results. The 10 is a little messed up, but good enough.

IMG_20200627_090233504.jpg
IMG_20200627_090222491.jpg
IMG_20200625_213523211.jpg

Completed mine this morning. Found directions elsewhere, and didn't read the entire thread here, so I'm sure some of my observations have probably already been noted. Used a 9 volt battery and a fairly heavy salt to vinegar solution (sorry, didn't measure, just kept adding salt until my test piece worked well). I found that with a 9 volt battery and an aligator clip I had the best results when the clip holding the q-tip was nearly touching the kettle. The closer I got it, the better it worked. Also discovered when it was working the best, I got some brown foam as I worked. Light pressure and keeping the tip moving in small circular motions seems to have done a decent job of etching the kettle. Pretty happy with the results, especially considering this is my first time trying this.

PXL_20201129_184006247.jpg
PXL_20201129_180416647.jpg
PXL_20201129_180353109.jpg

I posted on this thread quite a while back. If you use an AC supply ( 120 to 12 volts) you get nice black marks. The low voltage can't hurt you (actually it's the low amperage). I have a small transformer that plugs into the wall receptacle. I used the leads from an old multimeter. I put an alligator clip on one probe and the tip from a Q-tip on the other.

Latest posts

Back