How long is too long in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricshayne

Reaction score
First timer here, been fermenting a Brewers Best Robust Porter for two weeks in the primary. Used Nottingham yeast, when should I transfer and bottle by so I get best fermentation while not having the yeast start eating the grub and giving off flavors? Not using a secondary.

I've had beers go a few months in the primary with no noticable negatives, as have many others. Bottling too early is a much much larger issue than "too late" (if that's even possible) :)

I go 2-4 weeks in primary. Two weeks for wheats and low gravity blondes & bitters, three weeks for most other beers, and four weeks for belgians and 1.070+ beers. Some believe yeast autolysis (yeast die off) to be a myth, but mine have never stayed around long enough to test it.

And a year for lambics :)

I did a 1gal Caribou Slobber kit a little while back that had bad soapy off flavors. I spoke with a trusted friend and the folks at Northern Brewer and both said the same thing, it sat on the yeast too long. And it was there for three weeks.

Meanwhile, on this (and other) forums I always hear of people letting their primary sit for much longer than that. I was explained it was due to the fact it was a 1gal kit and the approximate yeast measurement.

Instructions say to pitch 1/2 of the yeast packet. In my rush to brew, I hydrated the entire packet. Once it came time to pitch, I swirled the yeast into suspension and poured off just a hair over 50% of the yeast into the wort to "fix" where I went wrong.

The employee @ NB put it to me pretty plainly... The yeast packet is designed for a 5-6g batch. You (at our recommendation/instructions) put half of that into a batch that's 20% of the "normal" recipe. So overpitched. This makes the fermentation a bit faster but you run a greater risk of autolysis.

Armed with that knowledge, I did another 1g NB kit (BV Hefe). I poured out the yeast packet and measured 1/2 of it precisely and hydrated and pitched. This time I pulled it off the primary after 10 days. 4 days of good fermentation/bubbling and about 3 days of complete inactivity. I figure my fermentation was actually finished around day 6. I bottled it this past weekend and will pop the first one at 10 days. This batch tasted fine prior to bottling so we'll see.

Take a hydrometer reading. Wait a couple days and check again. If the readings are the same your beer is ready for bottling. Some people go 2-6 months in the primary with out problems. I agree with thadass too early is way way worse than too long.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Autolysis is definitely not a myth, but it isnt too much of a concern for homebrewers. Commercial guys have to worry about it because of the weight of all that beer pushing down on the yeast. That being said bottle now. Or in a month. Either way will be fine.

Thanks all, bottled yesterday after two weeks just because I was getting antsy but will probably let my next brews sit for 3+ weeks:ban:

The guy who owns the LHBS that I brewed my first batch with said at least a week, and has said he's kegged and carbed one of his last beers in 9 days or something. Told me I could have mine fermented and bottled in a minimum of two weeks. Course ill most likely let it go a bit longer for both but it was interesting as I thought fermenting and bottling would take at the least four weeks. Also note that he gave me a sample of his IIPA on tap at the LHBS and it was fantastic.

It is possible as ive heard storys only taking that long but I think there able to do it with the proper equipment and skill... as a new brewer (assuming this being the begginer forum) I would get your system and process down before starting to rush things. Patients is the most important thing ive learned to make great beer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back