How long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a batch recently on 6/6. I moved it from the bucket to carboy on 6/11 and dry hopped it with an ounce of Williamette pellet hops and the hops haven't all settled out yet, there are still some floating in the middle on top. How long can I let my brew set in a secondary before it needs to be bottled? The gravity when I transferred it was 1.014.

What was your OG? The stronger the beer, the longer you can let it condition. For most beers, you can let it sit in secondary for up to several months.

months...as long as it's under an airlock. I keep all my beers on yeast (in primary) 2-3 weeks and actually dryhop in the primary as well. the only time I use a secondary is for lagering (2-4 months).

No worries though! What you did is just fine, I've just learned it makes no difference and I avoid the extra work :)

If you're dry hopping, I'm assuming APA/IPA and they drink better fresh. I usually figure 14 days then add hops for 14 more and keg/bottle. If you dryhopped on 6/11, I would recommend waiting until the fermentation is at least 10 days old as you don't want the CO2 to remove the fresh hoppy goodness :) That being said, I would wait a couple days and bottle. A little floating hops is nothing to worry about...If it's enough to clog the siphon, there are many threads that will help you combat that.

welcome!!

--cheers :mug:

Most people like to dry hop for about 2 weeks. Since you transferred to secondary earlier than most, you're probably fine to go longer on the dry hopping in secondary.

If you're anxious to start drinking it, you can always cold crash it at 34 degrees for a day or two and hopefully the hops will settle out with that, if not, a sanitized paint strainer bag over the end of the racking cane will keep the hop particles out of the bottling bucket/keg...

Back