How does aging make wine better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the wine. Some are meant to be drunk young and if let age will not taste as good. Some are meant to be cellared for years. Usually the reason they will taste better with age is that the tannins are overpowering in the early years and not pleasurable to drink. The older the wine gets, the tannins become flavors like nuts, truffles, etc. which usually leads to more complex flavors. Really it all depends on the wine in question as to why it tastes better.

I have found that at 6 mo. the wine I make has a slight bit to it. At one year in the bottle the bit is gone and the wine is very smooth to drink...

Six mo. after one bottles or if you bulk age take that into account. If it has bulk aged for a year or so then allow two mo. for what is called "bottle shock".

I've just been having a discussion about a related topic over on the mead forum.

One of the ways that wine can get better with age is that some of the alcohol harshness fades. It turns out that some of the alcohols (apparently especially the larger, fusel alcohols) combine to form esters, and these esters are more pleasant smelling and tasting. This process takes time...

One important aspect of ageing is the reactions of phenols and polyphenols such as tannins. Phenols are bitter compounds, but as the react they join to form polyphenols, which are less bitter. Polyphenols can react together to form longer chain polyphenols, which may precipitate out giving a deposit in the bottle. Generally the effect is that the wine gets less bitter and the tannins "softer" with time. Oxygen also affects this process, which is why wine ages quicker in barrels or bottles with corks.

Back