How beer saved the world!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is corny, but it seems to make great sense. Being of German decent I've heard many stories from my family of how beer was consumed by young and old, day and night. Water was only for animals!

A fun show. More tongue-in-cheek than corny I'd say and all of the historical claims presented about beer are surely at least partly true. Beer...is there anything it can't do? :mug:

I do believe that's the one I saw on youtube with the cartoon stuff inserted. Cave men & all that. Cool show though. I like the bit about the Egyptian's being paid in beer with a little clay tablet that was like a debit card today for x number of pots of beer.

It's put forth in an amusing fashion,but is true historical fact. They have papers on the net if you can find the sites with more info. Like from Pat McGovern,a micro biological archeologist. He also worked with Sam over at DFH on his ancient ales series. The rest would be in writings & such.
It's amazing when you see things like this. Beer pre-dates baked/leavened bread by nearly 3,000 years.
They study these things for a living,so it tends to follow that they know more than we on the subject. This video just doesn't get bogged down in all the mind numbing details. Besides the fact that they do show some proof here & there. I just can't read cuneiform.

Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science.

- Henri Poincaré

My gf and my mom tried to distract me so I wouldn't see it on the tv guide. But I saw it and dvr'd it. I learned a lot from it. Drinking beer instead of water? Brilliant!

Maybe it's already been said but this happens to be available on netflix streaming as well.

Also, I have several friends who majored in anthropology and this theory about the importance of beer in early human civilization is apparently pretty widely excepted.

Maybe it's already been said but this happens to be available on netflix streaming as well.

Also, I have several friends who majored in anthropology and this theory about the importance of beer in early human civilization is apparently pretty widely excepted.

It works for me!

"How Beer Saved the World" is now a 42 min Discovery Channel documentary on Netflix.
"Beer Wars" is also a documentary on Netflix worth watching.

Beer Wars is a good one. Interesting that it was done not by a beer guy, but by the guy who started Mikes Hard Lemonade.

I had a very Jeff Spicoli moment when I watched this. When they talked to the guys from Oregon State I said, "I know that dude!"... Very cool guys! I was lucky to meet them at a beer camp put on by OMSI where I did a basic, stovetop homebrewing demonstration/display. Pat Hayes, a barley breeder and Tom Shellhammer, a professor of fermentation science (the guys on the show) came to the camp and taught a couple classes and gave a couple talks which were very cool. The last night there they brought out trays full of different taster glasses of beer. We were supposed to taste them, write down our tasting notes and try to figure out what chemical created what flavor (acetaldehyde, diacetyl, etc...). The best part is when they brought out trays of a darker beer and all these beer geeks and snobs were spouting off about the "clean flavors" and how "well made" it was. Then they revealed that it was Coors Lite with food coloring ... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
He also played in "My Favorite Martian",& played poopdeck pappy in "Popeye" with Robin Williams. Cool actor,but Spicolli seems errily familiar...:D:drunk::rockin:

This show is available on Netflix streaming. I watched it about 2 weeks ago and thought it was fun and informative. Cartoon animations were a little corny but it had a lot of interesting ways how beer saved the world at some points in history. There a few that I didnt know about.

Back