hot water pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
thinking about building a 3 tier tower, just wondering where is the best place/cheapest to pick up a hot water pump?

I bought my March 809 at AHS...

YOU NEED to make sure the pump comes with the base and a power cord... some do not, so dont be fooled by a cheaper March pump, it my not have a base or cord...

I bought my March 809 at AHS...

YOU NEED to make sure the pump comes with the base and a power cord... some do not, so dont be fooled by a cheaper March pump, it my not have a base or cord...

Is a March pump cheap because it doesnt have a cord or mounting base?

You will see March pumps for 130-140 bucks, and may find one for 110 or so... but they are configured differently. Generally the 809 is cheaper when it does not have the integrated mounting base, cord...etc. If you expect to have those things, make sure the pump you order has them, because not all do.

My guess was he wanted to pump the HLT water up to the HLT, instead of carrying it up a ladder... which is a good idea. $140 is cheap insurance against scalding your entire body.

Yeah....I thought that too....but then.....wouldn't you just heat your water up there anyway? I guess if he uses a cooler HLT then it might be necessary to move the water....

Hopsalot....maybe we could help out a little better if you gave us more info.....you might be able to save some money....

I have a solution... single tier HERMS, all electric... problem solved

My guess was he wanted to pump the HLT water up to the MLT, instead of carrying it up a ladder... which is a good idea. $140 is cheap insurance against scalding your entire body.

Fixed it for you i think? That what you meant?
Wouldn't the water be heated AFTER it was put into the HLT?
IF the water is scalding before carrying to the HLT, why use an HLT? appearently your hose is hot enough :)

If I'm wrong in my thinkin please correct as otherwise I don't understand the thinking.

He could also be wanting a pump for his CFC if he has one. Where you can use one with gravity it could be faster with a pump, or he may not be aware you can use it with gravity. I wasn't until I read Bobby_M's build thread.

Um no, that did not fix it.

He has a 3 tier... so he has the HLT WAYYYY up top. That is the only water that cannot be gravity fed. If he is using a cooler up top for the HLT, he needs to carry or pump HOT water up there from his BK or another source.

If the water is HOT on the stove... you still need an HLT, since it is a gravity system, 3 tier... so that it can flow down-hill

If the HLT is a cooler and the water has to be lifted and dumped, it's dangerous to climb and pour. No matter how safe you thing you are, lifting a few gallons of 190F water over your head is a good way to put yourself in the hospital burn ward.

However, I'd argue that if you're going to buy a pump anyway, you might as well make it a 2-tier.

We don't have enough info to make comments on his system.

I was toying with building a 3 tier but the HLT would be a keggle and would be direct fired and just use gravity to the MLT (cooler)and then the Boil keggle.

Back