Hot Java Stout - You won't find this in a store!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrojanMan

Reaction score
I'm sure we've all sampled our fair share of java stouts. It actually seems to be an up-and-coming style amongst many commercial craft breweries and many new brands are starting to pop up.

Nevertheless, it seems there are still a few things you still can't get from a store.
(You'll excuse me for not posting pictures, I hope. SWMBO has the camera but maybe I'll update once she gets home this evening.)

About 6 weeks ago, I brewed up my own "Java Stout." It was a tweaked Imp. Stout recipe that reduced the hops a bit and added 6 ounces (by weight) of Ghiradelli baking chocolate powder and 6 ounces of fresh-ground coffee beans (again by weight, I used Trader Joe's Sumatra - French Roast). Both items were added after flame-off when the wort was about 205*F. Steep for 3 minutes while stirring slowly, then strain out the coffee grounds with the hops, chill and into primary. Obviously, you'll want to make sure your grind is coarse enough to be caught by your strainer (sift over the sink with the strainer before adding the grounds to remove any dust or small particles). For priming, I used only 2 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gal. for just a touch of carbonation. Enough to give a good seal and *pop* upon opening the bottle but not so much that it's anything more than subtle on the palate.

Simple recipe but amazing complexity!
(I'll spare the exact details of the recipe. It's a standard Imp. Stout except as noted above and besides, you'll want to experiment with this one a bit if you decide to try it for yourself. I wouldn't want to ruin your fun so I'm leaving this a bit open-ended.)

It was far too bitter when I tried it two weeks ago but it has since mellowed out nicely. Be sure to give this a long time to condition if you try this one. My batch still needs a bit more time.

I write this post because I put it in the microwave to drink it. I thought that a bit odd and was wondering if anyone else has done this before. I'll explain my logic.

As I took my first sip out of the fridge, I immediately noticed that it was far too cold to really enjoy. Then I thought, you know, with as much coffee is in here, I'll bet it wouldn't be half bad if it was hot!

The glass went into the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Emerged at 120*F. Let's try it again...

Now the obvious parallel here is Irish Coffee. The java stout is slightly less alcoholic (depending upon how you mix your IC) at around 8% ABV. It's very noticable at the higher temperature but doesn't interfere with the taste at all. A slight tingling on the tongue - quite pleasant, in fact. The coffee flavor comes shining through like a champ and I'da say that the malt backbone typical of an Imp. Stout does more for the flavor than any sweetener would ever do to normal coffee. The chocolate and crystal malts lend an outstanding roasty, full-bodied flavor to it. It finishes a bit heavy, the hop and coffee oils clinging to the palate for just a moment before fading.

It is a VERY interesting flavor and one that I have never experienced before. I won't claim that it's for everyone and it certainly is a bit "forward" in its unfamiliarity but by no means is it bad. Final note - I would limit consumption to a single serving because of the relatively high cafeine content. Unless you're a serious coffee junkie, at least.

After trying this beer at most temperatures between 40*F and 120*F, I have to say that the slightly hotter temperatures are ideal for this beer!

If you had asked me six months ago if I would ever consider putting a beer in the microwave, I would have probably said you were crazy. Today? Heh... heck yeah!

So, has anyone ever put a beer in the microwave?

I've never microwaved beer, but I went on a wine-tasting course where the guy running it suggested microwaving red wine if it had been stored in a cold garage. He said it was something you should do only if you needed the wine served quickly - otherwise it was better to bring it to room temperature slowly.

Latest posts

Back