Impermanence Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Given how happy I was with the Human Condition clone I made, I want to try and make another TH stout I fondly remember. Here is how TH describes the flavor:

Notes: Impermanence is an imperial milk stout brewed with coffee, chocolate, and maple syrup. Below these additions lies a complex base of chocolate, caramel, and dark crystal malts. A kettle addition of lactose serves to amplify the decadence of this uniquely Tree House offering. Impermanence coats the tongue with flavors of sweet milk chocolate, dark amber maple syrup, and coffee ice cream. It's an incredible treat - a bona fide breakfast confections bonanza. It is an example of what is possible with careful selection of ingredients paired with focused brewing execution. Please enjoy it fresh and use it as an opportunity to reflect, give thanks, and enjoy in the company of others.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/335837/
On youtube, while not a gluten free brewer, i like the way this guy describes his approach and overall process. At the end of the video below, he says the maple syrup flavor goes away quickly. I've noticed this with corn and corn grits. the flavor is great at first but its very temporary. If I wanted to age this stout and not drink it until the fall 2023, does anyone have suggestions on how to preserve the maple flavor?

Still toying around with a grain bill, I'll post it once its ready.

Many pro brewers use flavorings like Cholaca (there are other that are similar) and add them at kegging. This provides a consistent product with minimal labor. For your clone, I'd start with that for the chocolate element and then play around with the maple syrup. If the maple syrup is added before fermentation, the maple note will be gone if you add it after primary, the yeast will kick off again and again the maple flavor will be gone. Do they centrifuge the beer to get rid of the yeast and then add maple syrup? If you have a 2.5 gallon keg, you could try to pasteurize the beer when fermentation is over by raising the temperature. Just put the whole keg in a brew kettle and get the beer temperature to pasteurization temp and then add your maple syrup.

Many pro brewers use flavorings like Cholaca (there are other that are similar) and add them at kegging. This provides a consistent product with minimal labor. For your clone, I'd start with that for the chocolate element and then play around with the maple syrup. If the maple syrup is added before fermentation, the maple note will be gone if you add it after primary, the yeast will kick off again and again the maple flavor will be gone. Do they centrifuge the beer to get rid of the yeast and then add maple syrup? If you have a 2.5 gallon keg, you could try to pasteurize the beer when fermentation is over by raising the temperature. Just put the whole keg in a brew kettle and get the beer temperature to pasteurization temp and then add your maple syrup.
fascinating. id never heard cholaca before and i cant say whether treehouse uses a centrifuge. Based on this article, it seems like the only option to me would be to bottle the beers and then heat water in the mash and boil to 140 degrees, then dunk the bottles in mash and boil for a short period.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictiona...eat French,canned beers throughout the world.

Back