Hop Varieties for Pilsners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floydmeister

Reaction score
It would seem that Saaz is "the" hop for Czech and American pilsners. I don't have any Saaz on hand and was wondering what else people have used and like in Pilsners. I want to make an example of the Pilsner style but don't necessarily need it to be Czech, American, or german. Ive got a lot of Styrian Goldings, Sonnet Goldings, and Magnum. Would any of these work well? Would the hop alone reclass it? Otherwise I've just got C hops and really tropical stuff like mosaic and citra which I can't imagine being very fitting.

I'm kind of curious to know how much the hops alone class the style and if there's much leeway. Any input is appreciated.

If you have to use those I would use magnum to bitter and Sonnet. My guess is it won't be as clean of a hop flavor because you'll have some EKG character along with your Saazish spice.

If you have to use those I would use magnum to bitter and Sonnet. My guess is it won't be as clean of a hop flavor because you'll have some EKG character along with your Saazish spice.

Are there other hops to look into that aren't Saaz? Or is it forever a Saaz beer style?

go here:

https://byo.com/resources/hops

select the beer style, and you will see good choices for that style

OR

do a quick search for SAAZ substitues and you will find tons of charts listing good substitutes

OR

look up hops with saaz as the lineage, maybe from AU or NZ, such as NZ Motueka, NZ Riwaka, or NZ Pacifica

Styrian is pretty commonly used in German-style Pils, especially those brewed in Mexico, like Bohemia. If you're going to buy other hops, Liberty are interesting. I wouldn't use Goldings or the C hops you have, unless you're purposefully looking to do a blended style.

i've been substituting Saaz with Styrian golding.
i don't brew pilsner though, mostly "belgian style" ales.

J.

I have an all Chinook Pils (55 IBU) lagering in my chest freezer until I have room to put it on tap. Will report back how it turns out. Sampling when I put in the keg was tasty. :tank:

I want to make an example of the Pilsner style but don't necessarily need it to be Czech, American, or german..

Czeck = Saaz
Classic American Pilzners = Cluster
German = any noble hop. Hallertau, Tettnanger, Spalter, ect.

Any hop you use will make beer.
Who cares if it falls under "Pilzner" or not if you like how it tastes.

The noble hops are Hallertau, Saaz, Tettnang, and Spalt.
Saaz, Tettnang, and Spalt are all genetically the same but grown in different regions so have very slight different characteristics.

My favorite noble hop for Pilsners is Tettnang. Then I love the floral flavor of Hallertau that melds into the beer.

Then you have Hersbrucker which is an offshoot of Hallertau and it has a noticeable floral flavor but I don't personally think it mixes in well with the rest of the flavors in beer... But it is a very common hop in German pilsners... It was supposed to be a replacement for Hallertau that had better growing characteristics.

In America in the 80's the USDA released four hop varieties bred from Hallertau. Crystal, Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Ultra. I don't know about Ultra. But Mt. Hood and Liberty supposedly have a very similar flavor profile to the noble hops.
I haven't had a chance to use them but I did make a test blonde ale with Crystal. It was a very good tasting hop... but it had a very pronounced grapefruit aroma and flavor with a floral background... It didn't meet the german characteristics I was wanting for the German IPA I was producing... But I could see it going well for a more modern tasting pilsner.

Then in the 90's the USDA released Santiam which was a cross of Tettnang, Hallertau, and a derivative of Cascade. Every descriptor or review I've seen of the hop espouses the spicy Tettnang flavor characteristics so I bought a pound to use for my German IPA. But almost all I got from it was an orangelike flavor that combined with the malt to taste like marmalade... I like the hop but again I'd use it more if you want to try an americanized german style.

In Germany the Huell Institute released Saphir, Smaragd, and Opal (sapphire, emerald, and opal). They are all noble type hops. I haven't tasted Smaragd or Opal. But Firestone Walker's Pivo Pils uses Saphir as their aroma hop. It is predominantly noble hop style flavor with a light citrusy note.

Recently Huell released Mandarina Bavaria and Melon. With orange and melon characteristics respectively. I really dislike the type of bitterness I've seen from the Mandarina hop... Much harsher than the other noble hops that I've tried. I've never been able to discern any aroma or flavor from the Huell Melon... Maybe my nose is just not sensitive to the oils it has.

I have heard great things about using New Zealand hops in german style pilsners. I think that a lot of their hops are descended from german hops... I want to explore some of those. But I'd look for ones that talk about spicy character along with the usual tropical fruit flavors.

On your end I agree with the use of Sonnet for aroma and flavor. Magnum is commonly used for bittering lagers if you don't want to waste the Sonnet on bittering but want the IBU's.

I have a very low alcohol lager that used EKG hops. Hopefully I'll be able to get an idea of how EKG works as a lager and hopefully I didn't ruin the beer.

I've used nugget in a pils before and I have a batch made with CTZ on tap right now. Both beers have been well received in our homebrew club. Experiment a little and enjoy a light clean lager:mug:

I've made two one gallon batch Pilsners, one with Willamette and one with Nugget, that were pretty tasty.

Additions were at 60, 15, and 0 for around 35 IBUs.

Other than the "classic" German hops, I am a big fan of liberty and tettnang in hoppy lagers. I have also used Perle with success as earlier additions and mid boil addition.
If you want to try something different...... I buy most of my hops through Hop Heaven. He makes a hop blend called Edelweiss. He bills it as a lager/pilsner blend...... I got a couple pounds of it and used it in a couple pilsners so far. I really like it a lot. Would definitely recommend it.

So far, I really like what I am getting from the Kazbek hop (child of Saaz), but I have not yet used it in a Pilsner.

Other than the "classic" German hops, I am a big fan of liberty and tettnang in hoppy lagers. I have also used Perle with success as earlier additions and mid boil addition.
If you want to try something different...... I buy most of my hops through Hop Heaven. He makes a hop blend called Edelweiss. He bills it as a lager/pilsner blend...... I got a couple pounds of it and used it in a couple pilsners so far. I really like it a lot. Would definitely recommend it.

Forgive my ignorance, but could you point me to a link or website? I brew a HefeWeizen called Edelweiss, and this might be a great hop blend to try for it.

Thanks -

Ron

Forgive my ignorance, but could you point me to a link or website? I brew a HefeWeizen called Edelweiss, and this might be a great hop blend to try for it.

Thanks -

Ron

Here is a link to the E-Bay Store.

Don't get thrown off by the fact that this is an E-Bay thing. His hops and his customer service are top notch. Great prices, great packaging. I have ordered and received 40 pounds or more of hops from them.

Sometimes I find it easier to e-mail/contact him for a current list of available hops. Navigating what is and is not available on the E-bay page is not always easy.

If you can't find the Edelweiss blend on there - just contact him through a message on Ebay and he can let you know if they have it on hand. I am pretty sure they still do.

http://stores.ebay.com/Hop-Heaven-Inc

I used Mt Hood recently in a light colored German ale and really liked it. A lot. When I finish this 4 oz bag I'll buy another, and also some Sterling.

Dr Rudi (a southern hemisphere hop, I think New Zealand) might be good and kinda different in a pils or cream ale.

I just ordered and received a pound of it (and some others).
I can't wait to try it.
Thanks for the recommendation!

To the OP:
I do a lot of German lagers, including Pils, and my favorite is a combo of either Tettnang or Spalt for bittering and flavor with Hallertau for aroma.

I just ordered and received a pound of it (and some others).
I can't wait to try it.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Hope it turns out well for you. Be curious what you think when it is done.

I am planning on brewing sort of an American/Czech Hybrid pilsner today with Edelweiss......
Using a combo of Weyerman Pils (Don't have much left on hand) with some Vienna, 2Row, CaraHell and Flaked Corn.
Using 2278 Czech Pils yeast
Probably bitter with a touch of Perle and then use Edelweiss for mid and late additions.

Been on kind of a pilsner kick lately with 3 batches in kegs at various stages...... My work schedule gets crazy for the next 6 weeks or so, and I want to make sure I have beer on hand when summer rolls around:mug:

Latest posts

Back