Brewing pilsner without temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am attempting to brew a Czech style pilsner, but don't have fermentation temperature control. Wondering who has had success with some of the new kveik yeasts or a kolsch recipe that really hit this classic style without temperature control. Any advise would be appreciated!

Any details on probable temperature and swings.

That said, a few thoughts...
  • 34/70, WY2124, WLP830 yeast is a German Pilsner yeast that is very robust and works well at ale temperatures. It is often used to make California Common beers. See this Brulosophy experiment...https://brulosophy.com/2017/07/10/fermentation-temperature-pt-8-lager-yeast-wyeast-2124-bohemian-lager/
  • WLP800 which is a Pilsner Urquell strain (btw, genetic testing revealed that it is really an ale yeast) seems to work decently at ale temperatures
  • Wrap your fermenter in a wet towel and blow a fan on it, the evaporation will cool it quite a bit.
Good luck

Thank you for the responses!

"I’ve had a lot of success with W34/70 in a cool but not controlled environment.". What does cool mean? And how long are you allowing for fermentation?

Any details on probable temperature and swings.

That said, a few thoughts...
  • 34/70, WY2124, WLP830 yeast is a German Pilsner yeast that is very robust and works well at ale temperatures. It is often used to make California Common beers. See this Brulosophy experiment...https://brulosophy.com/2017/07/10/fermentation-temperature-pt-8-lager-yeast-wyeast-2124-bohemian-lager/
  • WLP800 which is a Pilsner Urquell strain (btw, genetic testing revealed that it is really an ale yeast) seems to work decently at ale temperatures
  • Wrap your fermenter in a wet towel and blow a fan on it, the evaporation will cool it quite a bit.
Good luck
I can keep things in the 68-72 range pretty well.

can you ferment under pressure? it will help lagers at higher temps

can you ferment under pressure? it will help lagers at higher temps
Good reminder! I can ferment under pressure, but have never tried. I have heard mixed messages about pressurized versus open fermentation. Do you have specific experience in this working to achieve a good pilsner? And what exactly did you do?

pitch yeast and set spunding valve to 5-10 psi is all that is needed for a lager at warmer temps.

ales...Most do not recommend pressure until after peak krausen.

dont go for this kviek BS. just make a lager with 34/70 or s189. the temps you're showing are fine, for either. if you can spund and maintain pressure, set it to 5psi to start. after about 24-36 hours you can ramp it up as high as your vessel or spund valve will allow. i know some folks that go up to like 30psi, but i've never gone above 15 and it comes out plenty clean. another thing you can do as just a little bit of insurance since its your first time is to go ahead and pitch two pouches of yeast.
keys for low ester/clean ferment- low temp, big pitch, pressure ferment, oxygen. you're welcome to oxygenate, but in theory dry yeast doesnt need it. so ignoring that one, you're at two out of three - pretty damn good in this case.

Latest posts

Back