Aurora hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrap iron

Reaction score
I recently bought some Czech Saaz hops and the seller also had some Aurora. I got some of these too, the description says :
With nearly twice the alpha acid content as Styrian Golding, another primary Slovenian hop, Aurora is spicy, herbal and moderately bittering. Descriptions and reviews of most beers employing Aurora hops describe them as pleasantly hoppy and velvety smooth.
I thought they would be good at bittering and aroma too in a Pilsner, Vienna or other Lagers. I have a Czech Pils coming up next.
Anyone have any experience with them? I thought they might in a work in a Bitter too.
thoughts?

I like them. IMO they are fruitier than styrian goldings in sort of a gentle fruit punch way. They play well with a lot of Belgian strains. I also like using them for hoppy lagers. It does a good job rounding out a hop profile in those lagers (and I'd toss cold IPA in there, too) in the same way centennial is used to round out the hop profile in IPAs.

Thanks for the reply mashpaddled. I plan on using them with some Saaz in a Czech Pils. I think I'll try them in an IPA with some Centennial and Amarillo that are my go-to for American hoppy styles. I hope they aren't too fruity.

Thanks for the reply mashpaddled. I plan on using them with some Saaz in a Czech Pils. I think I'll try them in an IPA with some Centennial and Amarillo that are my go-to for American hoppy styles. I hope they aren't too fruity.

They aren't fruity like American or NZ hops. More like styrian goldings can showcase orange but isn't aggressively citrus like cascade or amarillo.

I've used them once. I got no fruit aromas, just a punch of dried dandelion. They were the cheapest hop at the HBS so it could've been a bum batch.

Back