Hop Residue in Air Lock - Normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lal12

Reaction score
I brewed beer Sunday and this is what I did:

I steeped 3lbs of Floor-Malted Bohemina Pilsner grain at 155 degrees for 30 min

Boiled:
6 lbs of Briess Golden Light Dry Malt Extract then
1 oz of Citra for 15min
1oz of Cascade for 20min
1oz of Amarillo for 20min
1oz of Citra for 15min
Dropped temp to 70 degrees
Siphoned off into bucket and pitched GigaYeast Vermont IPA yeast.

Getting great fermentation in airlock but today I noticed some hope residue. Assuming it was a big foam bubble the popped. Any thoughts? Am i ok?

Attachments

• airlock.jpeg
    airlock.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Getting great fermentation in airlock but today I noticed some hope residue. Assuming it was a big foam bubble the popped. Any thoughts? Am i ok?

I wouldn’t worry about it. probably just enough krausen rose up so that a bit got blown out the airlock. Much better than checking on it and finding your fermentation was so vigorous it plugged the airlock, blew it off, and covered the entire inside of your fermentation chamber... because let me tell you, that sucks to clean up!

Ok cool thanks. I was kind of worried about that happening.

Also on a side note can anyone tell me what they think of the recipe. 1st time i'm trying this one out.

OG was 1.06+ (don't have a graduated cylinder so I was eyeballing in the bucket amid the foam) aiming for an FG of 1.01ish

Last edited:
I love that yeast for a NEIPA . Looks pretty good to me. I've never used pilsner before . I dont know what the difference is in mashing and steeping a pilsner make, but I think pilsner is mashed for a longer period . For a juicy NEIPA i would kick those hop additions to the end and whirlpool @170. I use Magnum for bittering because I really like it and it's cheap. So I do a small amount of Magnum @60 then the other hops at 10 , 5 min, flameout and whirlpool. I shoot for 30 ibu approx for NEIPA.

Back