Hop Oil or Diacetyl in Triple IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just pulled a sample of my Triple IPA, and I get a slight oily texture as it hits my pallet. It has been cold crashing at 33 degrees for 6 days, and I pulled the sample with the dry hopping still in the keg. I just did a forced diacetyl test, and I neither I nor my girl get any buttery notes. For 5 gallons I have a pound of hops on this beer since it was a triple. I dry hopped with three ounces. I am curious if this slickness could be hop oils from the high hopping? I held the beer for 5 days at 70 degrees prior to dry hopping, so I am drawing a blank on how it would be diacetyl.

I still consider myself a new to brewing, but I have read that brews that have been heavily hops will have a oil like mouthfeel. I'm pretty sure it's not diacetly.

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

If you heat it up enough and don't smell buttery goodness, I'd say it's not there.

The only way to truly tell is a spectrophotometer but not like everyone has those.

I'm a certified BJCP judge and I've never found a slick mouthfeel that is associated with diacetyl without the odor present. Pretty low threshold on it.

Very reassuring to hear that. Hopefully carbonation and age will help. However, age is counterproductive to an IPA... For this emerging style, there is a lot of learning to be had.

cjgenever, I have had some DIPAs that have made me wonder if it had something going on with it, or just a very creamy mouthfeel from the carbonation; however I have never investigated it. It just caught me off guard when I have a locked in brewing process. Brewing with an extreme amount of hops for the first time threw me for a loop.

Carbonation will give a bite (carbonic acid). A high level of hop oils (dipa) can actually make a beer seem fuller. I love a [email protected]. Crisp and clean with an undertone of that mouthfeel you get from flaked oats as it finishes. Like there's a smoothness that just doesn't want to leave your mouth. it kinda resides for a while on the back of the pallet. Not talking about bitterness. I'm talking hop oil mouthfeel. The kind that doesn't show its face until 1lb per five gallons.

cjgenever, interesting. Maybe I should not knock this beer just yet. turkeygecko, Na, no starsan on this one. I tried the beer between the primary and secondary transfer, and tasted something slick but chalked it up to potential yeast in suspension still. I then pulled the 4oz sample with a spare tap attached to a ball lock connection. The first tasting one in the morning after the sample pull was the extreme slickness. I kept it in the fridge for 8 hours, let any potential sediment settle, and tried once I got home to find slickness. I then done a diacetyl rest for a third test, and then still found it.

I get that slick mouthfeel from most IIPAs - but most particularly my brew of the Morebeer Pliny clone when fresh - more so than slightly older IIPAs, even the Stone Enjoy By ones. Almost certainly not diacetyl, just the hop oils.

I get this with the Pliny clone big time. I almost dumped the first batch because I knew something had to be wrong. No buttery flavor or aroma just very oily and slick. I have brewed a lot of batches but never had this happen. My temps and all that stuff were right on. And after about 10 days it really came into its on. The oiliness subsided and the beer tasted great. This happen both times I made it. Still not sure why.

Here is a photo.

1415553287808.jpg

Back