Hop Farm San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in La Mesa as well!

I'll have to go check out that new place in El Cajon. I usually go to HBM as they have a tasting room and a great selection of grains, hops, etc. I've gone to Homebrew4less but I wasn't impressed, he has open bags of grain on the floor. But it is nice that he has DME, hops and yeast and is open very late, everyday.
Just fyi, I stopped by today trying to get some Hops and he is still getting things stocked so moved his grand opening to next tuesday. You can always stop in and BS with him though.

Do you have an address for this place in El Cajon? That would be alot closer for me. Can they handle large grain orders and milling?

Just talked to him, he isn't open yet. He opens on Tuesday, May 24th as mentioned above

His doesn't yet show up on the search engines so I went old school and got his info via 411. Which was the first time I've used that in years.

Anyway, here are the details.

All About Brewing
700 N Johnson ave
el Cajon, Ca 92020
619-447-2739

Hello,
How is your hop growing going? I will be looking to purchase hops on a large scale in the near future.

I'm starting a small scale hop farm this year in north county San Diego I’ve grown 6 varieties with great success the last 2 years and making the jump to a larger scale this year with 400 plants and eventually 5000. I will offer 10 varieties: Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Glacier, Hallertau, Horizon, Magnum, Nugget, Willamette. All will be sold as whole hops in vacuum sealed Mylar bags in 2 ounce and 1 pound size. Price will be $1.50/ounce and $18.00/pound. Just PM me for additional info, web site coming soon!

Steadfast Farms

Heyoo sd brewers! South park here. So I'm almost ready to harvest my centenial hops and I have a question about post season care for hop growing in San Diego. I keep reading to cut the plant back for the winter frost but that obviously doesn't apply to us. What do you guys do with the plant during our warm winters? Still cut them back? Do you continue watering them?

I'm in Wisconsin so maybe this doesn't apply but I leave my hop bines up. They make some nice winter landscape feature. Then in early spring I cut down the old growth.

Feel real bad for neglecting this thread for so long, been busy brewing beer for weddings! Seems like everyone I knew got married this summer and fall. I never had a chance to get the website up for this last season so I've just been selling to some LHBS. They have all been sold by Dan and Cameron at Mother Earth in Vista and at Smokin Beaver in Escondido. You may have seen our " Hop Grenades" already, they're bomb little 2 oz packages!

Check out our facebook page, search Steadfast Hop Farm

Cheers,
Clint

Wasup SD brewers! College area here... I just ordered 2 Cascade, 1 Nugget and 1 Chinook. I plan on growing them in 12 gallon pots in my backyard. Maybe not ideal but i can't go digging up my landlords yard.....

I Think I am going to do full sun, unless I see them getting burnt. Then I can move them to a little shade. It will be nice to have them out there while brewing in the yard even if they don't produce much. Ill put some pics up here once I get going. There is not all that much info on growing hops in pots in
Socal.....

:mug:

Hello fellow SD/So Cal brewers! I live out in Jamul and just planted 10 rhizomes. 2 each of Galena, Cascade, Mt. Hood, Willamette and Nugget. Hope you all have great success! :mug:

There is not all that much info on growing hops in pots in
Socal.....

:mug:

gotta do what you gotta do! they will grow but as the root structure has little room stretch it will stress it out eventually, but probably year 2 or 3. your just not going to get the yield that you would if they were in the ground.

The ideal growing temp for hops is between 80 and 95 degrees, dont worry about burning thats ususlly caused by poor nutrients(just use miracle grow once every two weeks). the plants will do better in full sunlight. the only thing that could be a problem is that big black pot heating up, i dont know how the roots would like that.

the only thing that could be a problem is that big black pot heating up, i dont know how the roots would like that.

Bury the pot. My herb garden is 95% comprised of 5 gallon pots buried in the ground about 1/2 - 2/3. Easy to move if need be, temps are more constant and gophers are not a problem.

gotta do what you gotta do! they will grow but as the root structure has little room stretch it will stress it out eventually, but probably year 2 or 3. your just not going to get the yield that you would if they were in the ground.

The ideal growing temp for hops is between 80 and 95 degrees, dont worry about burning thats ususlly caused by poor nutrients(just use miracle grow once every two weeks). the plants will do better in full sunlight. the only thing that could be a problem is that big black pot heating up, i dont know how the roots would like that.

Hell yeh its either this or not grow hops for my homebrews...
I will be happy if I get enough my first year for one Pale ale.
After year 2 or 3 hopefully I will put them in the ground. Full sun it is, I am thinking of using a bigger pot to. Lowes has those 20 gallon totes for $8. I am going to screw some 1X stakes in there and use a rope and a hook to the top.

Before I do all that I am thinking of starting my rhizomes in 1 gallon pots, just to make sure they all sprout before I buy the supplies. Is this a good idea? should I bring them in at night while they are rooting?? thanks guys!!:tank:

It's not going to get hot enough to damage the roots for a while once it starts to warm up to around that 90 degree range then you might need to worry about soil temp in the pots i would try doing what mountainman619 suggested by burying the buckets, you can get cheep thermometers for soil on amazon if the soil gets over 90 degrees 4" down that is bad.

but in the meantime keep them outside and water at least once a day and they'll go crazy, frequent shallow watering is ideal.

I would bury them in the ground, but my landlady probably would not like it. Soil temps might not be ideal, but maybe some shade cloth will help.

Heyya- Have a 3 acre organic farm in Oceanside Ca. Grow and sell lemons and pomegranates. Have a goodly area I'm preparing for organic hops. Won't put in rhizomes 'till next year. Anyone know a source for Super Galeta rhizomes?
Thanks! - Barry

Back