American Pale Ale Trash Hops Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1272 AAII
Yeast Starter
Should Have
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Clean, Dry, Citrus, Orange Zest (maybe), White Wine??. Slight Haze.
8.5# 2Row
8* Munich
4* Wheat Malt
4* 20L Crystal
4* Victory

Columbus 60m 0.5*
Columbus 15m 0.5*
Columbus 5m 0.5*
Chinook 0m 0.5*
Nugget 0m 0.5*

Whirfloc 5m
Yeast Nutrients 5m
Orange Blossom Honey 5m 8*

14 Days Primary
7 Days Secondary - Dry HOP
Soraci Ace 0.5*
Nelson Sauvin 0.5*

Mash 152F 60m
Boil 75m
Pitch at 68F

Cold Crash on Day 5 of Secondary.
Fine with Gelatin on Day 6 of Secondary.
Keg on Day 7.

Ok, I brew at least 5G a month, sometimes 10G. For the most part, I follow pretty popular recipes. Edworts, Yooper, Revvy; each one is a personal hero. But, dang it, I end up with left over hops. Half an ounce here and half an ounce there. At the end of the year I'm looking at a lot of unrelated hops. Hallertau, Magnum, Nugget, Amarillo, Summit, Willamette, etc...

So, whenever the collection becomes intolerable, I take a pretty typical APA recipe and try to mix it up with some of my trash hops. Most batches turn out fairly decent. I'll drink it. My neighbors will drink it.

But this brew, drew smiles in their eyes. Followed by deep thought and ponderous gaze deep within the mug. Then a request for another.

I like this brew and I wanted to share it with you.

Keep in mind these hops are old. Often kept in the freezer for six months or longer. I keep them in their original one ounce packing and store them in freezer zip locks. I can't imagine that any of these hops have their initial vitality.

I don't normally do secondaries but I did on this brew. My thought was to make a clearer beer but with wheat malt? Eh. I always fine with gelatin now a days. I'm drinking the beer flat right now, the day I kegged, and I can just see through it. A little haze.

As for a starter, I strongly believe in starters. I didn't run a starter this round because I felt the need to build a bigger better stir plate. 75lb magnets do not make good starters. Old hard drive magnets make good starters. So, back to the work bench. I haven't finished the new build yet.

#=Pound and *=Ounce

Latest posts

Back