Honey porter in a bourbon barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
hi guys. I have a freshly dumped 5 gallon bourbon barrel on the way. I was going to use it to age a traditional mead, but I got to thinking about using if to age an imperial honey porter that is just finishing up. Its around 10% abv.

My fear is that the bourbon flavors may clash with the honey flavor in the porter. What do you guys think? Any feed back will be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think they would clash. Heck, there are even some artisan honeys that are aged in bourbon barrels.

I don't think they would clash. Heck, there are even some artisan honeys that are aged in bourbon barrels.
I agree with VikeMan and will add that bourbon with honey added to it is delicious so why not a honey beer with bourbon notes?

That was my first thought, that the vanilla and caramel notes from the bourbon and oak would play nice with the honey. Was just second guessing myself as the brew and barrel are both a bit of an investment.

Thanks!

My biggest concern would be that the bourbon from a 5 gallon barrel would overwhelm the Porter and bury all the delicate flavors under Oak and spirits. With that being said, the only liquor I drink is Tequila and can't stand Whiskey/Bourbon or their aged beer counterparts so take my opinion with a grain of salt. A honey porter sounds excellent though. Keep us posted!

Back