Adding Mike's Hot Honey to Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedspointbrew

Brewing out in left field, with golf clubs
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been researching this topic outside HBT for awhile, without any conclusive, definitive answer; maybe because there isn't one, but I thought that I would try here.
I brewed a better-than-expected buckwheat porter that I mixed with some Mike Hot Honey, on the fly; it was quite enjoyable, and I'd like to try reproducing the result. Understanding that the flavor isn't going to be as intense as adding it on the fly.
Suggestions for most honey flavor seem to involve adding the honey at the end of the boil, or high krausen. I'd think that adding the honey to the boil would eliminate most if not all flavor; adding to wort at high krausen, I'd think that the denser honey would just sink into the trub at the bottom of the fermenter. I've gotten away from secondary fermenting, and would prefer not to do it. If necessary, on the advice of more knowledgeable HBT brewers, I will do so again.
Any and all suggestions are, as usual, much appreciated.

Honey at best provides an ephemeral character because it typically ferments out completely pretty much regardless of when it is added. And I would agree that boiling flavored honey will attenuate whatever "flavor" was supposed to be conveyed.

Between both of those rails I would probably substitute some Gambrinus Honey Malt at somewhere between 3% to 5% for the honey, and add hot chile sauce (of which there are hundreds to choose from) at packaging - I would first dose a glass to figure out how much hot sauce to add per gallon...

Cheers!

Back