Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pepperlover.com is the best online vendor. Pepper Joe's seeds are often crosses. They're always good viable seeds but just not true phenotype. This really only comes into play if you're a pepper freak who wants a pure strain. When it comes to superhots. They all taste the same to me with subtle differences. I bought 'reaper' seeds from from Joe that were orange 7pots. Didn't complain, one the best plants I've grown. Over 200 pods.

pepperlover.com is the best online vendor. Pepper Joe's seeds are often crosses. They're always good viable seeds but just not true phenotype. This really only comes into play if you're a pepper freak who wants a pure strain. When it comes to superhots. They all taste the same to me with subtle differences. I bought 'reaper' seeds from from Joe that were orange 7pots. Didn't complain, one the best plants I've grown. Over 200 pods.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Thank you. I loves me some Nando's hot sauce.

The link in the below recipe does not work (edit: yes it does!). I have used a lot of different dried and fresh chiles in the recipe. I always double it, then marinade in half then baste with the other half while grilling every time a flip the chicken. There's always some of the basting half to use when eating.

Peri Peri Chicken (Nando’s Style) From http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com/peri-peri-chicken/

First, prepare the sauce:
Peri Peri Sauce
This sauce is used for marinating the chicken and any leftover is normally cooked down and served as a dip. I prefer making the sauce up to a day ahead of using as the flavors tend to develop with a bit of time. So you can go ahead and prepare the sauce up to a day before you need to use it.
INGREDIENTS
2-6 birds-eye red chillis (adjust spice level to your taste….2 will be mildly spicy whilst 6 will be very spicy)
1 big red capsicum/bell-pepper
1 lemon’s juice
2 tbsp. paprika powder
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. oregano
½ tsp. red chilli powder
½ cup oil (veg or olive)
5 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp. dark vinegar
1 tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. red or orange food coloring
INSTRUCTIONS
Blend all the ingredients of the sauce until smooth, then pour into a container and refrigerate until needed. You can make the sauce in bulk and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks and use as and when required.

Thank you. I loves me some Nando's hot sauce.

Here is the complete recipe, doubled. I thought the other one was too, till I looked at my post. This is the closest I have found to true Nando's flavor, and I have tried many! YMMV. Good luck! :mug:

Peri Peri Chicken (Nando’s Style) (doubled)
Adapted From http://www.fauziaskitchenfun.com/peri-peri-chicken/
INGREDIENTS
4-12 birds-eye red chillis (adjust spice level to your taste….4 will be mildly spicy whilst 12 will be very spicy) (6 Fresnos chopped, and 4 Habanero’s seeded was perfect)
2 big red capsicum/bell-pepper
2 lemon’s juice
4 tbsp. paprika powder
4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oregano
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1 cup oil (veg or olive)
10 cloves of garlic
8 tbsp. dark vinegar
2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. red or orange food coloring
2 chicken, (approx 2kg-3kg total) skin removed and cut into quarters then make 2-3 slits on each piece
Peri Peri Sauce
This sauce is used for marinating the chicken and any leftover is normally cooked down and served as a dip. I prefer making the sauce up to a day ahead of using as the flavors tend to develop with a bit of time. So you can go ahead and prepare the sauce up to a day before you need to use it.
INSTRUCTIONS
First, prepare the sauce:
Blend all the ingredients of the sauce until smooth, then pour into a container and refrigerate until needed. You can make the sauce in bulk and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks and use as and when required.
Next, prepare the chicken:
TIP: To get the maximum moistness and succulence in your chicken and to infuse flavor into the meat, take a container big enough to hold the chicken quarters. Add 4 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, half cup white vinegar, juice of 2 lemons, throw in some roughly chopped fresh herbs like coriander or parsley. Then add COLD water and swirl/mix everything together. Now add in your cleaned chicken pieces, they should be completely immersed in the water. Cover the container and refrigerate it for 1-4 hours. Then drain out the liquid, rinse out the chicken quarters properly to get rid of any excess salt and proceed with the marination.
Pour the prepared sauce over the chicken pieces, making sure it goes into the slits. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to marinate at least overnight or for up to 2 days.
When ready to cook, shake the excess marinade off the chicken pieces. First grill the chicken on a bbq/charcoal grill (or under the broiler grill of your oven) for about 5 minutes per side, just to seal the chicken pieces so they stay nice and moist inside, and this gives the chicken that awesome bbq flavour especially if done on a charcoal grill.
Then place the chicken quarters on a greased tray, brush some sauce over them and pop it in a pre-heated oven at 340 F (170 C) and bake for about 20 minutes (turn them over midway through the baking). Next, reduce the temperature to 250 F (120 C) and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Make sure to brush the chicken with some of the peri peri sauce once more during the baking so they stay moist. Once done, remove and keep the chicken covered to retain moisture.
For the remainder of the marinade/sauce, just pour it into a small saucepan, add about half a cup of water and simmer until the sauce thickens and is cooked. You can use this to serve with the chicken.
Serve your delicious Peri Peri chicken with fries, fresh salad and a cold drink .

Looking forward to a few weeks from now when my schedule slows down..... I have 14 quarts of lacto fermented peppers which I have been making over the last couple months - Segregated jars with Cayennes, Habaneros, Red Jalapeno's and Green Jalapeno's..... also have 3 or 4 quarts of a blended pepper mash including various hot and sweet red peppers. Currently also have a gallon of shredded carrots fermenting to puree and blend in. Peppers were fermented with some garlic and onions as well.

I plan on doing some single pepper sauces as well as some various blends of sauces. Basically puree and strain the peppers. Perhaps some salt, some vinegar if needed. But, they are already fermenting in salt brine and the pH has dropped to high 3's low 4's as of several weeks ago.

Hoping for good things.

peppers.jpg

Looking forward to a few weeks from now when my schedule slows down..... I have 14 quarts of lacto fermented peppers which I have been making over the last couple months - Segregated jars with Cayennes, Habaneros, Red Jalapeno's and Green Jalapeno's..... also have 3 or 4 quarts of a blended pepper mash including various hot and sweet red peppers. Currently also have a gallon of shredded carrots fermenting to puree and blend in. Peppers were fermented with some garlic and onions as well.

I plan on doing some single pepper sauces as well as some various blends of sauces. Basically puree and strain the peppers. Perhaps some salt, some vinegar if needed. But, they are already fermenting in salt brine and the pH has dropped to high 3's low 4's as of several weeks ago.

Hoping for good things.

Looking great to me!

I just canned a batch of salsa verde using the last of our green tomatoes, celery, and green hot peppers from the yard. We needed to pull up the plants, so this was basically made from scraps.

Onions, garlic, cilantro, cumin, lime juice, and a little sugar.

I got almost 10 half-pint jars.

That counts as hot sauce for this thread, right?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1476965645.198902.jpg

Got around to bottling up some of my fermented peppers.... simply did a jar each of straight Jalapeño, Cayenne, Pepper Blend, Habanero. I did blend in some fermented carrots with the pepper blend and Habanero to cut the heat a bit.

Just put each jar in the food processor, puree'd, strained, boiled it for a minute or two, and then poured in jars.

Cayenne was great.
Pepper Blend and Jalapeño were decent.
Habanero was very good, but smoking hot for sure:)

Got more of all in the fridge. Also have some jars of red jalapeño and red jalapeño/cayenne that are still fermenting.

pepper.jpg

Sorry for the sophomoric question, but How long do most of these keep? Do we need to add any preservatives?

Sorry for the sophomoric question, but How long do most of these keep? Do we need to add any preservatives?

It depends. For my fermented hot sauces, I add lots of vinegar at bottling time, which brings the pH down enough to be stable for well over a year (just used one of my 2 year old fermented sauces this morning on breakfast). I don't even have to refrigerate those. For my other sauces, I add enough vinegar to bring the pH to 3.0-3.2, pasteurize the sauce on the stove, and sanitize the bottles and strainer so those last many months or even a year unopened. After opening, they should be refrigerated, and will probably last 3-6 months by my estimation. I am not a food scientist, but I'm still alive after following these rough guidelines. Wish I could be more help.

I think it depends on the procedures people are following.... are they canning? Pressure cooking? pH? etc.

For me, the lacto fermentation took the pH of mine down to 3.5-3.8 range. Then, after blending and straining it, I boiled it and put into bottles that I had boiled. With a pH that low, and keeping it in the fridge.... I would think it would keep for a year pretty easy.

Plus, I will give most of what I make away to friends..... not like I personally need to go through 30 bottles of hot sauce.

Combinations of canning/pressure cooking/pH can make these last years (especially if refridgerated) I would think

Hoping for good things.

Our table looked quite similar, with multiple jars of fermenting peppers the last couple months. Now they are all ground to mash and aging in the refrigerator.
We did Bulgarian carrot peppers, cayenne's,Jalapeno's and still have pequin,tabasco and limon peppers ripening in the greenhouse. This is our first year lacto fermenting, before I have made canned vinegar sauces that are pretty good after aging.
The lacto fermented stuff is amazing so far though. I plan to keep the mashes in the fridge till spring and then finish them into sauce. I keep wanting to get into them but haven't so far. Supposedly the longer you wait the better.
We even made some fermented nacho rings, leftovers from canning, that are delicious after one month. I doubt they are going to last long (1\2 gallon jar).
We always grow so many peppers (because I love them) I have trouble finding things to do with them. Dried, pickled and now fermented. I figured now is the time, we just got into brewing (ciders so far), might as well ferment some food.

:mug::mug:

The lacto fermented stuff is amazing so far though. I plan to keep the mashes in the fridge till spring and then finish them into sauce. I keep wanting to get into them but haven't so far. Supposedly the longer you wait the better.

:mug::mug:

Yeah - i have heard the same. I just had to try some out though:) I have another 2-3 gallons worth of various peppers, carrots in the fridge..... plus probably another gallon or two worth of frozen peppers in the freezer.

I figured this smaller batch would hold me over and let me feed my curiosity and I can let the other ones go a lot longer in order to compare them.

I typically let my sauces ferment 7-10 days and I'm a huge fan. I've never tried fermenting any sauces longer than that, so I might not know what I'm missing... It's hard to conjure up the will to wait long periods of time when the week long ferments taste sooo good.

I typically let my sauces ferment 7-10 days and I'm a huge fan. I've never tried fermenting any sauces longer than that, so I might not know what I'm missing... It's hard to conjure up the will to wait long periods of time when the week long ferments taste sooo good.

Yeah that is why I am afraid to try any more. They tasted so good when I mashed the peppers after fermenting for a month, I would probably just eat it all with a spoon. So I am going to try to let it sit and become.

I would say most of these that I just worked with had a month at room temp and 4-6 weeks in the fridge. I do think peppers tend to ferment more slowly than other veggies.

Thanks for the info Braufessor, Tiber_Brew, and AZ_IPA. I've only made a few hot sauces so far, but am looking forward to learning more. Looks like a lot of good recipes on here. Cheers!

First real batch of hot sauce made. (1st was just puréed raw jalapeños, salt and distilled vinegar all puréed together, unstrained...pretty rudimentary but was decent.)

Today used this Emeril recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-red-hot-sauce-recipe.html

Used 12 red jalapeños, most of a small-medium yellow onion thinly sliced, and 3 good size cloves of garlic. Measured the salt, but later added about another 1/2 tsp. Left just enough water to purée after sauté & boil, blended in vinegar and strained through a sieve. Was skeptical about the color at first. Thought it might be too light, but it ended up nice and bright orange like the pics on the recipe. Tastes really good. Will age for a couple weeks before trying again. So far so good, but I'll report back after some aging. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479574777.566566.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479574786.699657.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479574794.801354.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479574842.623573.jpg

Now just need to get some proper hot sauce containers. Cheers!

Good project for a cold, windy, winter day. Used up a bunch of fermented peppers and carrots from this summer/fall.

Half is Habanero/Carrot.... 3 quarts fermented Habanero (with garlic and onions) and 2 quarts fermented carrots. Blended, strained, boiled.... added a touch of salt/vinegar to taste.

The other half is 1 quart fermented red jalapeño, 1 quart fermented cayenne, and 2 quarts fermented carrots. Blended, strained, boiled....added some salt/sugar/vinegar to taste.

Ought to keep my friends happy for a while.

pepper.jpg

Kimchi hot sauce (mild)
P1020624_zpsvsjyej69.jpg

1.5 cups very well fermented kimchi
5 Tbs Korean pepper flakes
2 Tbs Korean pepper flakes (hot)
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 tsp fish sauce
1 piece of candied ginger
Enough water to cover

Bring to boil and simmer on low till cabbage is soft.

Cool, puree and strain.

Add
Rice wine vinegar
Kimchi juice
Salt to taste
Tsp Sugar (optional)

Allow it to restart fermentation for a couple days at room temp and then refrigerate. This sauce is not shelf stable but should keep a VERY long time in the fridge. Within a couple weeks the lacto bacteria will have eaten most of the added sugar

Serrano Habanero (mildish)
SerranoHab_zpswfxurzme.jpg

450gram red ripe serrano
50gram orange habanero
80gram white onion
1.5 tsp cumin seed (toasted)
1 tsp coriander seed (toasted)
1.5 tbs minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chiplote powder
3 cups cane vinegar/water 50/50
Bring to a boil then simmer as low as possible to keep the fumes down.

Adjust with some lime juice after cooling/blending/straining. I used the juice from half a lime for this one. Makes almost exactly a quart of sauce.

Lemon drop, yellow bell, onion, garlic, candied ginger, vinegar and fresh lemon grass. The flavor is outstanding and not overly hot.
P1020364_zpsqvyjs6o8.jpg

215 grams chopped frozen lemon drop peppers

1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped

1/2 medium white onion finely chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tbs crystallized ginger

2 6" pieces of lemon grass cut in 2 inch pieces

420 grams total minus the lemon grass which will be removed before blending

2 1/2 cups 50/50 vinegar/water. Mostly white distilled but 1/2 cup was double strength rice vinegar (%8)

Brought to a boil for 15min and heavy simmered for an hour covered. Im really trying to get the most out of the lemon grass. Decided to use mostly white distilled to keep down on the sweetness. The "candied" ginger is pretty sweet and so is the yellow bell.

Salt to taste after it completely cools and blended but likely about a 1/2 tsp.

Save the tuff in the strainer and dry it. The tailings make a wonderful mild pepper powder.
P1020374_zpsxj7fsjd3.jpg

Fermented orange hab but i cant find the recipe atm. Its about 15-20 orange habs, carrot, onion and orange bell. (medium)
P1020343_zpsxk5etset.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsx3x6urug.jpg

Lemon drop, yellow bell, onion, garlic, candied ginger, vinegar and fresh lemon grass. The flavor is outstanding and not overly hot.
P1020364_zpsqvyjs6o8.jpg

215 grams chopped frozen lemon drop peppers

1 yellow bell pepper finely chopped

1/2 medium white onion finely chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tbs crystallized ginger

2 6" pieces of lemon grass cut in 2 inch pieces

420 grams total minus the lemon grass which will be removed before blending

2 1/2 cups 50/50 vinegar/water. Mostly white distilled but 1/2 cup was double strength rice vinegar (%8)

Brought to a boil for 15min and heavy simmered for an hour covered. Im really trying to get the most out of the lemon grass. Decided to use mostly white distilled to keep down on the sweetness. The "candied" ginger is pretty sweet and so is the yellow bell.

Salt to taste after it completely cools and blended but likely about a 1/2 tsp.

Save the tuff in the strainer and dry it. The tailings make a wonderful mild pepper powder.
P1020374_zpsxj7fsjd3.jpg

I'm growing three lemon drop plants this year...I'll try this recipe. Thanks.

Kimchi hot sauce (mild)
P1020624_zpsvsjyej69.jpg

1.5 cups very well fermented kimchi
5 Tbs Korean pepper flakes
2 Tbs Korean pepper flakes (hot)
1 Tbs minced garlic
2 tsp fish sauce
1 piece of candied ginger
Enough water to cover

Bring to boil and simmer on low till cabbage is soft.

Cool, puree and strain.

Add
Rice wine vinegar
Kimchi juice
Salt to taste
Tsp Sugar (optional)

Allow it to restart fermentation for a couple days at room temp and then refrigerate. This sauce is not shelf stable but should keep a VERY long time in the fridge. Within a couple weeks the lacto bacteria will have eaten most of the added sugar

I'm not an expert, but wouldn't the boil kill off the lacto for further fermentation.

Not when you add a couple tablespoons of uncooked kimchi juice back to the cooled sauce. Fermentation kicks right back in if there is enough sugar and the ph isn't too low. Asian pear puree works great in place of regular sugar.

Cool, puree and strain.

Add
Rice wine vinegar
Kimchi juice
Salt to taste
Tsp Sugar (optional)

I'm growing three lemon drop plants this year...I'll try this recipe. Thanks.

Its not super hot but if you want more heat add Aji Cito or 1 7 Pot Yellow to it. The Aji Cito is about twice as hot as a true lemon drop but flavor is close. The 7 Pot Yellow is much hotter but the Chinense (hab) flavor is not very strong. Just 1 will make a big heat increase in a quart.

I add about a heaping 1/8th tsp of ascorbic acid to help maintain color too.

I also have Aji Melocoton, Aji Amarillo, Aji Jobito, Lemon Habanero and Yellow 7Pot Brainstrain growing...the possibilities are endless

I love the Aji baccatum varieties. Try Aji Omnicolor sometime too. Need to be careful about the lemon drops. Some growers labeled them incorrectly and you get a chinense instead that is hotter and the flavor is totally different.

Aji limo for example is a chinense and they can look almost identical to a lemon drop.
AjiLimonrd.jpg

Back