Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also use starter cultures..... caldwell usually (which is a bit pricey.... but, I repitch kraut juice as well.) I find it more reliable..... kind of like brewing beer and using a known source of yeast and a starter - just assures good results. Might have to give the probiotic supplement a try.

Lacto fermentation does go through 3 phases
The fermentation process has three phases, collectively sometimes referred to as population dynamics. In the first phase, anaerobic bacteria such as Klebsiella and Enterobacter lead the fermentation, and begin producing an acidic environment that favors later bacteria. The second phase starts as the acid levels become too high for many bacteria, and Leuconostoc mesenteroides and other Leuconostoc spp. take dominance. In the third phase, various Lactobacillus species, including L. brevis and L. plantarum, ferment any remaining sugars, further lowering the pH

On a side note if you want to promote a acidic environment quickly, nearly any wine/brew shop sells 80%+ lactic acid. A tiny bit goes a long way.

I use Korean made "kimchi fermenters" for nearly everything now. They greatly limit contact to oxygen which cuts way done on yeast in longer ferments.

E-jen fermenters are available in a huge variety of sizes and they are available on Amazon/Ebay. I use Nice-Lock brand which are similar but pretty uncommon online. Asian/Korean markets have them sometimes.
leiNT1a.jpg

2t4ftH9.jpg

L8Vv03m.jpg

Livart used to carry all the sizes but now i cant find them.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyYza70q9ic[/ame]

Has anyone blended in a fruited sour beer instead of vinegar at the end? I'm considering giving it a try. I might simmer/pasteurize it first to kill off any brett or other bugs. I have several sours still from last year which seem like they'd have potential: pineapple/mango, peach, and gooseberry. I don't think raspberry, black currant, or cherry sound like a fit. They aren't acetic, but I assume it's just the acidity needed regardless of type.

I used some fruited sours last year when making pepper jelly, and that turned out great.

Only my cherry bomb peppers are red ripe right now, so I started a quart of those fermenting with a carrot and garlic. I'm hoping my other varieties have enough warm weather yet to get color. Last year I just did them altogether. This year my aim is to ferment them individually and blend together afterwards to see what each does on its own.

verde is next

1/2 c. chicken stock (actual drippings from roasted pork would be better)
1.5lbs tomatillos
2 jalapenos, sliced
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves

Add everythinh to a pot and add water to a level ~1" below vegetables. Simmer for ~15 minutes. Blend. Add salt as needed, and chopped cilantro if you want.

Broiling the tomatillos first can add some nice smokiness.

Get about 3-4 mild Anaheims. Roast them on the grill first. Sweat them in a plastic bag after roasting then skin and remove seeds.

Add that to the above recipe as well as slightly roasting the tomatillo, onion and jalapeno.
yfrWZlc.jpg

Brown pork or skinless chicken thighs on the grill and transfer to your verde sauce to simmer till tender. Enjoy the best pork or chicken chile verde you ever had.
kZZr7OE.jpg

wife is a vegan so it's a no go on the meat stock...I guess I could use vegetable stock but that's kind of pointless I think.

Just picked about that many lemon drops myself. They make a great hot sauce. Boil some lemon grass in the water you plan to use first and strain it out. It will add more lemon flavor without effecting acidity. Leave a little bit in if you want a bit more flavor.

Cane vinegar or rice wine vinegar are what i normally use for lemon drops or mixed with white distilled.

Make all adjustments for salt, sugar and acidity after its cooled, blended, strained and allowed to "age" a few days in the fridge.

Ripe jalapeno and super chile/Tabasco....A couple habs or super hots work great too for this one. My ripe jalapenos are pretty darn hot so just use what i had fresh.

1qt freezer bag of ripe Mucho Nacho and Chichimeca jalapeno..around 500-600grams
50 grams of super chile and Tabascos peppers mixed
1 heaping tbs minced garlic (fresh)
1 medium white onion...a little over a cup (chopped)
60% water and 40% white vinegar...just enough to cover
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1 heaping tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp chipolte powder
Heaping tsp of imported tomato paste in a tube. The canned stuff doesn't seem as concentrated.

I used a slow cooker for around 5 hours but bringing to a slight boil and 45min simmer works fine.

Cool, blend and strain. After a couple days in the fridge adjust with
3 tbs fresh lime juice
1/2-1 more tsp salt
Heaping 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid to help preserve color.
Might need some sweetness. I used a little White Balsamic Vinegar. Agave nectar, sugar or honey would be ok.

Makes roughly a liter of hot sauce.
YbHVfto.jpg

Clings to a spoon nicely...no gums added.
ZbSkf6C.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504889356.291185.jpg

Whipped up my first batch of hot sauce this morning with peppers from the garden. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Seemed a waste to throw the pepper mash away that was in the strainer.

1/2# cayennes
2 red jalapeños
2 hot cherrys
5 large cloves of garlic
1 tsp kosher salt
2c white vinegar
1/4c water

150 gram Scotch Bonnet MOA yellow seeds removed
4 more whole MOAs
50 gram Caribbean red with seeds
40 gram white onion
50 gram carrot
2 tsp minced garlic
15 gram piece of ginger left whole
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
5 allspice, 5 black peppercorn and 2 whole cloves ground
A dash of annatto
Roland dry white wine vinegar mixed 50/50 with water. Almost 2 cups total.

Ran it all through the Nutribullet first except the ginger and additional MOAs. Normally i do that after cook down and cooling

Boil for 20min

Simmering now for about an hour.

Initial thoughts are its pretty damn hot but a little thin so i tossed in 4 more MOAs. Needs lime juice for sure.

Yes they are from last years pods. Plants came from CCN. Really good flavor MOAs but this year im doing P. Dreadie and MOA reds from MWCH. His MOA reds are really starting to kick off atm. Still seedlings but looking great.

I have about 3 cayenne pepper plants that are LOADED with fruit. Figured the best way to use them is in a sauce, so here is my first attempt at a recipe.

20 cayenne peppers
1 small onion
1 medium tomato
1 medium bell pepper
3 cloves garlic
3 teaspoons sea salt
1.5 cups vinegar
1.5 cups hot water
.25 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter
.5 teaspoon cumin (optional)
.5 teaspoon tumeric (optional)

Remove stems from peppers

Saute onion/peppers/garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add water, salt and vinegar Boil 5 minutes then reduce to medium heat for 20 minutes. Add honey and diced tomato, cumin and tumeric, then puree in blender. Reboil then simmer 15 minutes. Let cool then strain into jars.

I have some homemade salsa verda that I could add to fluff it up a bit.

Use caution when adding fats to hot sauce. It keeps better if left out.

100 grams Mucho Nacho and Chichimeca. (includes 2 green Fresno)
80 grams Big Jim Heritage (deseeded)....kinda surprised me...mine got some heat to them
100 grams of a very firm green tomato...the thing was almost hard.
Heaping tbs dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp culantro paste.
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Not quite enough water to cover.
Bring to a boil for a few minutes and reduce to a simmer for 45min.

Now what i doing differently this time is just using water and more salt than normal. Light vinegar and heavier lime juice will be added after its cooled, blended and strained. I used dried onion and garlic intentionally to cut back on water content. After its strained i will measure whats left and add the vinegar/lime juice accordingly based on the remaining liquid.

This turned out to be a huge hit with my dad and my brother. Best green jala sauce ive ever tasted actually. Finished off with 3tbs of fresh lime juice, heaping 1/4 tsp ascorbic acid and 3 tbs of raw unfiltered cider vinegar. Total amount was just under 2 cups after straining. There was maybe 2 tbs of crap in the strainer when done.

It probably still has a little air whipped into it from the Nutribullet.
KmR684d.jpg

43zkyIe.jpg

Use caution when adding fats to hot sauce. It keeps better if left out.

I thought about that but saw several recipes with olive oil in them, so I tried it out. I am not married to it so if it is a bad idea my next batch will be sans fat.

My recipe gave me very good flavor (mild sweetness, moderate spiciness and mod to strong vinegar), and I got exactly 32oz to fill an old bottle that used to be filled with cayenne pepper sauce! Nearly identical color from the original too.

Attachments

• Message_1532196132961.jpg
    Message_1532196132961.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 86
I make a verde sauce with olive oil. When you make a green sauce is usually turns a unattractive green color from cooking. After it blended well you add a little olive oil and blend again. It will instantly turn a beautiful green. Oddly it makes it taste like you added avocado also.

This is meant to be used sooner and as a "dip".
CbHcn5H.jpg

jaF7Uyj.jpg

I make a verde sauce with olive oil. When you make a green sauce is usually turns a unattractive green color from cooking. After it blended well you add a little olive oil and blend again. It will instantly turn a beautiful green. Oddly it makes it taste like you added avocado also.

Looks good. I'm not a lumpy sauce guy myself.

CbHcn5H.jpg

jaF7Uyj.jpg

That looks very much like the stuff I make that's mostly steamed jalapeños. I use corn oil instead of olive oil. I recently figured out that a little of it added to a mashed ripe avocado makes pretty good guacamole -- and if the avocado is a little too brown, the jalapeno sauce greens it up nicely.

Ive got a buttload of peppers nearly ripe. I could actually pick a couple dozen red bonnets right now and ive got about a dozen ready to go inside. My next one though is going to be Jamaican Gold. Its a annuum and not a chinense like bonnets and habs so the flavor is much different. They are quite hot however.

Going for a strong up front pepper flavor with only minor additions. Cane vinegar, probably a little bit of ginger and some garlic.

Ive got close to 2 dozen ready now
RYyH6I9.jpg

NQa8Tgi.jpg

i just made my first batch of hot sauce last night, it smells and tastes amazing, but it is very watery can i still add xanthan gum to thicken it up or is it too late?

So, you admit it IS used? HA HA! (Fat-free = Flavor-free...)

Some or most? :rolleyes:

Not sure who you are or why you're being a turd about this but actually most refried beans don't have lard in them...and lard is not what gives them the flavor. Sorry, bud.

Not sure who you are or why you're being a turd about this but actually most refried beans don't have lard in them...and lard is not what gives them the flavor. Sorry, bud.

Not trying to be turd. My MEXICAN neighbors taught me how to cook a number of dishes they make and they use LARD in their frijoles. Maybe you don't, but they do. Period.

The question is: Is LARD used in re-fried beans? You say no. But the answer will still be YES even if it is used in only .09% of ALL refried beans ever cooked.

I prefer refried beans with lard; the lard doesn't add that many calories. But if I had some dietary restriction, fat-free "refried" beans are readily available. I often have to pick thru a bunch of FF cans to find the "traditional" ones. (I mostly shop at Aldi and both kinds are mixed in the case) Walmart and Kroger and probably everyplace else sells both kinds too, they just don't mix 'em up on the shelf.

How did we get here? o_O

The fumes from cooking this down are brutal. Moved it all to a crock pot. I call this Agni's Revenge after the Hindu god of fire.
7 Ghosts
4 Mystery peppers
1 Scotch bonnet MOA red
1 Bell of Gollu
1/2 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp black mustard seed
Red shallot (about golf ball size)
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp salt

MaQ6IhW.jpg

AZjFntu.jpg

Made a batch of burr gherkin refrigerator dill chips also. Brine is boiled first then added warm. Cant see it but a ripe Sichuan pepper and fresh fernleaf dill is in the bottom.
lg6z0z5.jpg

Turmeric Habanero Hot Sauce
My favorite one yet.

640 gr Cranberries
200 gr Blueberries
93 gr Ginger Root Fresh
56 gr Garlic Fresh
86 gr Turmeric root dry
1/2 qrt Red Habanero paste (Blitzed Red Habs)
50 gr pink salt
1L Whey
1/2 qrt AppleCiderVinegar (home made)

-Soak Turmeric in ACV alone to hydrate and remove potential fungus.
-Add Blueberries, Red Habanero, Ginger, Garlic and salt and Blitz till smooth.
-Blitz Turmeric with ACV, then add Cranberries.
-Add whey and both mixtures to fermenting container.

Wait three months Aprox.

g8JCB59.jpg

M3Ubn1x.jpg

QMb2WPl.jpg

u51CLwA.jpg

Three months later.
ZUdiuKT.jpg

Back